Movies: Am I fucked in the head (SW III, Sin City)

Straycat

Ok. So, I watched both Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith and Sin City and found them both to be painfully rubbish. As for SW III, I immediately lost interest: Crap start, crab robots, crap fights and crap talk about some crap republic I don't care one iota about. More bling to Luca$, I'm sure. Thank Lord Buddha and the entrepreneurs of the Internet, I got the movie through a torrent.

Sin City on the other hand, it could've been something: Cartoonishly filmed and utter evil. I like that. What I don't like however, is having no idea why the characters do what they do. Quite honestly, I couldn't tell you the plot even if my life depended on it. A measly 3 bar fines out of 10 is what I give this movie.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm the sort of guy that, normally, even find movies like Cobra mildly amusing (4+ bar fines). The main advantage with these kind of (presumably really bad) movies, is that you can read the devastating reviews at IMDB and know exactly what they mean by "This movie is more than stupid; it actually reaches out from the screen and transfers some of its stupidity right into your head."

With movies like SW III and Sin City, you don't even get that sort of satisfaction. Just too much rant and raves around. Clearly, I've misunderstood something. Are they really good movies? -- Is it time for me to wear an anorak and pick up ornithology?

(by the way: I really liked Sideways)

Funny you mention these movies, as I saw both last week in BKK. Went with Cargo girl to see Sin City, she slept during part of it. Was as baffled as I was by the rest. It had it's moments. I liked the tone of some of the dialague, and it was sort of entertainingly evil as you suggest. But over all, it lost me.

Star wars...not a big fan of any of these movies, find them boring. Took Roi Et girl to a matinee of this...15 minutes into it, she turned and said "...this stupid movie..." she was right. There were some seriously hard core Star wars fans there, who seemed to know all the intricate details, who swore it was great...but again, it lost me.

I agree re Ep 3 - Sin City hasnt made it to Oz yet. I just think that 90-95% of everything coming out of Hollyweird at the moment is somewhere between mildly disappointing and a complete non-event in terms of what it has to offer the (discerning) public. The studios know this, and it explains why so many of their projects are aimed at kids between 3 and 15 : they really dont want to know about things like plot and dialogue. Hopefully, the slump will end soon. ::

I couldn't agree more; I saw enough in the previews to avoid Star Wars. The acting and directing seemed amateurish at best. I can't stand the LOTR stuff and the whole Sci-Fi genre.

Sin City, on the other hand, although not great (or good even) had some redeeming qualities. Visually it was quite stunning, the B & W was effective, and tended to tone down the excessive violence (or at least made it surreal). Also making it watchable were some decent performances, Bruce Willis is always good to watch.

There has most definitely been a dearth of good movies in recent months. I was hoping that "Crash" would show up in Thailand. But noooo.

SWIII was crap indeed but that's mainly because I have no interest for such movies. Watched it to be another person's companion.

I did like Sin City though, at least it was very different from the regular movies I've seen for the last couple of months. A nice variation to the usual garbage. :up:

I saw Star Wars yesterday and was disappointed. The only redeeming value was the digital effects (no story or plot, characters weak,dialogue horrible, etc.)but even the effects became too common after the first 30 minutes.

Sin City is one of the few movies I have ever walked out of. I watched two of the "stories" and decided not to waste any more time from my life trying to make sense of the third story. I couldn't understand why Thai people (75% of the 20-30 people in the audience)would attend a movie like this. Several other people walked out during the movie and never returned. I only wish I had left sooner.

Remind me to avoid anything with Quentin T's hand in it. Totally Weird!

SC,

I'm probably the last one who'd ever join the LOTR fanclub... but I did see the first two parts and I must admit they weren't too bad. Won't be looking around for part three but will watch on UBC if I happen to be home when it's on.

Give it a try in order to give a better (more reliable) judgement :) up to you anyway.

Archived