Hello w/ a few questions

dubbs

I have thought about visiting or living in BKK but after joining/reading the message board the whole idea is starting to grow on me. I am thinking about making a week or 2 week trip this summer and possibly living there in 2006.

The first and most important question for me is how is the internet over there? Questions are speed & availability as well as how long does it take to get service? Are there serviced apartments that offer dsl in the apartments or is this not commonly done? How much do internet cafe's cost?

Does anybody do any martial arts on this board in BKK?

Other than the girls what do people like to do here in their spare time or for entertainment?

Great reading all the stories, I don't think I can not go now after reading, and maybe might be able to meet up with a few of you whenever I get there.

ADSL is widely available in Bangkok; i have CSLoxinfo with 1.0 MB speed and pay 1070 THB a month. it is reliable, speed stable and good (in comparison to other asian cities nearly as good as Singapore and much better than Shanghai); service is good.

installation was also easy (i did myself and i am not really advanced in my IT skills) and i got gear and line within one week after i applied.

yep there are several Service apartments which offer ADSL

i am also experienced in the martial art of heavy drinking but there are many Fitness Clubs that offer all sort of classes

"i am also experienced in the martial art of heavy drinking but there are many Fitness Clubs that offer all sort of classes"

:worship: ::

about ADSL samak answered you, about serviced apartments, many offer internet connection (mostly adsl) and there are plenty of serviced apartments to choose from in any kind of prices ranges.

About martial art I practice but......I do not live in BKK.

By the way, why are you looking for martial art?

::

Thanks for the info.

I am definately well trained in the art of drinking :beer:

I am interested in martial arts because I practise it here in Canada but I have lived in other countries before and practised there too. It's a great way to stay in shape (not to mention a good way to defend yourself if you need to). Also, I think it would be a good way to meet some people in BKK as well or meet good people in general. I have done this before in europe and made a lot of good friends. Was curious to see if anybody on the board does anything, aside from girls, drinking, and more girls ;)

Thanks again :beer:

Martial arts is an extremely broad definition. You probably want to continue in what you've been practicing so maybe it might be prudent to list what specific "arts".

Of course there's Muay Thai.

There's a SMAC center gym or something or other on Asoke. Supposed to be a place of a number of disciples. It closed I think 2 years ago but then reopened again. Not sure. It's open now though definitely.

As for a traditional Japanese Ryu... No, I don't think there's a permanent one here. But considering the number of Japanese here I'm sure there here in some form or other, but probably need to contact the main branch in Japan to see if there are any other students here.

Aikido: Actually Aikido here is very good. It's not watered down like in the States where you can actually get out of controls if you're quick enough. There is a Japanese Sensei over here who is very very good. Having said that, I still prefer ju jitsu training which is just as fluid, same emphasis of not using/abusing power, and it was much harsher. I'm sure you learn the same techniques here in Aikido, but you have to wait a bit longer before you start practicing them.

As for Kung Fu, I know jack shit about it over here :)

<<burp>>

Thanks again yall.

I do GoJu Karate here and I have done Aikido in europe. I hear there is GoJu available in BKK and i'm sure I can find Aikido everywhere but just wanted to know what my options are. Of course Muay Thai is available but i'm not sure if I want to try it out but may give it a try. I hear Muay Thai is a really tough martial art but was wondering if I joined a school if the students would beat my ass down or something like that. I really don't know how receptive they would be, anyone familiar w/ this one or know of any good schools in BKK?

I'm sure i'll be practising the sticking ass on a daily basis there. :)

Last but not least, there's never a bad time to start.

Archived