Hello w/ a few questions

dubbs

For GoJu try this: http://www.geocities.com/mahidol_karate/goju.htm

Personally I never liked Karate, even when I had to do it as part of a traditional Ryu. Way to linear. Hard on the joints.

Muay Thai is a very hard sport. Hard on the bones and hard on the joints. Give me Tai Chi anyday! Having said that, there are farang friendly Muay Thai gyms where you won't get "beat down" (least more than 'normal', lol). Sorry, I don't know which ones they are. I did teach with a fellow who did go to a Muay Thai gym. He'd show up every now and again with some nice bruises. Lent him money as I worked with him. Never got paid back. lol.

Some of the training is just nuts. 100 hard kicks with the shin against a wooden poll with a thin cloth wrapped around it a few times.

Thankfully I don't live back in the olden days where ya hardened fingers to go through bamboo armor.

<<burp>>

I train at Fairtex in SFO. They have their headquarters in Bangplee. One of the best gyms in Thailand, not cheap or easy to get to, but close, and good. Very Farang friendly. Also, Near KhaoSarn Road is Chitti Gym, also a very well noted Muay Thai school. Not as fancy as Fairtex, and more Thais train here...The Thais at fairtex train after the farangs, but many hard core fighters at both gyms. Oh, BTW, I won my first fight by TKO! Knocked the guy down 3 times in the second round, once in the first...just dumb luck really...I love Muay Thai will go back full on into it when my knee is healed...

Years ago, I used to walk past a temple on my way home and often see the Muay Thai boxers out toughening themselves up -- by kicking trees full force with their shins or the top of their foot! The idea is to deaden the nerves. Have to keep doing it or the nerves regain their sensititity.

Probably very useful though if a tree ever tries to mug you ...

::

Dubbs,

there are many different Muay Thai schools in BKK, some of them targetting recreationnal foreign boxers and from what I heard training there is not too tough . One is near Khaosan, I should be able to get you the adress if necessary.

Go to Lumpini and Rajadamnoen stadiums if you want to have a good idea of what is a Muay thai fight. Much more serious than Pattaya and daily high level fights , except on sunday. Note I stopped going there since they practice douple pricing in both stadium.

Cheers,

Random

It appears that you havent been to LOS and you are considering moving here? That's a pretty big leap and I certainly wouldnt recomend it based on a two week visit.

I can almost guarantee that after two weeks your decision would be to move. I dont think a rational decision could be made until after you had visited several times for extended periods.

Just about every country I have visted in Asia, I could see myself living in. That's based on the fact that I am normally on vacation or doing very little work when I visit and am having a great time. I dont have to think about "reality" during those visits and everything is new and fresh. In my heart, I know that things would change if I was there every day and had to make my living there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yes, I haven't been to LOS so who knows if I could endure living there for a while but I think I can handle it. I work for myself online and if I go there and decide after a few months I want to leave then it's no problem. But I know what you're talking about but from reading all the posts it sounds like I could stay a while in LOS :)

Right now i'm thinking about going on a 1 or 2 week trip to see how I like it so that's probably a better idea.

Thanks for the feedback, Can anyone tell me what August is like, weather and if a lot of people go there, i'm not really sure when the high/low seasons are there.

Thanks

Although I've never been in August, I think it's the end of the hot season, September is when the rains come (wettest month). I guess it would be quite sticky and humid in August.

Dec/Jan is the peak season, a month either side of then is shoulder. April May gets really hot, Sept gets wet. October is pretty nice, November better - then it gets busy but the weather is fantastic Dec Jan. I like February myself, the weather's still good, but not so many people (also lower proces, and less hotels are full), although I've had a great time no matter what time of year I've been. (Pretty much every month except June-Aug).

Have fun. If I were you I'd spend as much time as I could there before I decided to settle there permanently. Maybe get in touch with some of the lads Fridays (Gullivers Suk soi 5 630/7pm until whenever) they can be a wealth of information.

Archived