I don't see the NSO is over yet...

Hardy641

In Sillypore we had Chilli crab, way better than Bangkok, and cheaper!

Go figure!

Also in food courts, Vs Food crounts in Bangkok, I can get Chinese, Indian, Malay, Japanese, all cheaper cleaner and bettre.

For bars, i can go out till dawn, last night was a very wild arabian nights theme on santosa, free! And HOT

Go figure - exactly right because I certainly cannot figure out what is going on in Bangkok these days.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nervous_Dog said:

Even accomodation in Singapore is beating Bangkok!

DOG

I did a quick web search and didn't find any hotel in Singapore with a nice room and swimming pool below 50$ so I don't buy that. But if it's really cheaper to be there on a holiday than in Bangkok (food, nightlife, taxis...) I gotta try that place next time I go to Asia.

Sorry guys I can't remember any names and exact locations of the places we been. Too much alcohol and female distraction...

Just know that we haven't been to the well known places. The guys were locals and definitely knew where to go and have fun ::

May be some guys living in Singapore can help and post some details...

I really envy your guys working and living there. Singapore always has been the better place to work. People have better education, are more professional, speak better English; accept foreigners more and of course the salaries are a way higher. And now it is definitely also the better place for partying. I guess the number of expats flying to Bangkok for a weekend of fun has dramatically dropped ? soon it might well be the other way round?

In Bangkok Mystique has been forced to close before midnight again and the best late night spot Josephine (rooftop on Suk1) has been closed the whole weekend and nobody knows if and if yes, when it will open again. Thus, after 2am the only place to 'party' is Sukhumvit Street. Not really fun, especially with the rainy season looming.... :(

There are plenty of strange things going on in Thailand now. To put this in perspective, recall that a scant week ago many bars in Soi Cowboy were looser than it had been for over a year. And there are, or perhaps I should say "were" since I don't know if they are still operating, much better after hour venues convenietly located near NEP then we have seen in Bangkok for at least several years - certainly much better than the very large open air afterhours venue that the lower Sukhumvit street area has become.

Now, we not only have earlier closings and a dearth (or absence, depending upon who is posting) of shows on Soi Cowboy and early closings for clubs that previously had been able to stay open past 2 occasionally in the past, but also immigration police in the Nana Hotel parking lot checking farangs for passports.

This week's Stickman does a good job of summarizing the night life situation - scroll half way down his report. Now one strange event occurs this morning.

I am on my way to work this morning, and as I exit the BTS station a group of police officers (from the Labour Department?) are asking every foreigner who is not dressed like a tourist (that is, foreigners wearing a tie or even a work shirt) for their work permit. I have a copy, and I made a point of copying the part that says your work permit is to remain in your place of work. I was waved over, and when my turn came, I drew the officer's attention to this language. He said, "he knew, but orders from the top", took down the information and waived me on.

I was never convinced that the New Social Order (NSO) had anything to do with morals - real or imagined - on the part of most of the officials responsible for creating or enforcing the new "rules". It was poliitcal marketing. Something is going on now, I am not sure what, but it has little to do with any attempt to create a new moral environment.

Bibbles - have to say YES, it seems all the great food here is paying off, definately with the Malay and Indian girls anyway., sometimes a bit TOOOo big :(

However street candy and on Santosa, very very nice, especially as the locals LOVE to bounce about in skimpy bikinis!

DOG

>>I am on my way to work this morning, and as I exit the BTS station a group of police officers (from the Labour Department?) are asking every foreigner who is not dressed like a tourist (that is, foreigners wearing a tie or even a work shirt) for their work permit.<<

Interesting. That hasn't happened to me yet. I get the skytrain to Chong Nonsi. Can I ask which station you were stopped at?

Cheers

farangman

Archived