Food Safety

camerashy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suadum said:

Par for the course IME. I have had food poisioning making me violently and deathly ill twice in my life. Both times were at Big Boy chain restaraunts in the USA. Not saying I have not gotten mild cases of the shits here in Asia, but they were just that, mild. And I do not pay any mind where or what I eat...

Personally, I think that all the anti-bacteria cleansers and excessive hygiene in the West makes people weak immune-system wise and increases the resistance of bad bacteria to things that can kill it. It cannot be a good thing.

Cheers,

SD

SD and all,

I agree with this as well. :yeahthat: I eat everwhere and everything in the LOS, and myself have never gotten ill in over 10 years living and visiting there. (I'll qualify that with some loose bowels on occasion, but nothing serious that would disrupt an evening. Never had food poisoning there ... yet.) One thing I've done SD is to always brush my teeth with tap water when there. I don't swallow the water, but enough gets in me to innoculate myself a bit and get my immune system used to some of the germs and bacteria there I feel by doing this. I think by doing this over the years I have built up an immunity of sorts to some of the bugs there. Mind you, I wouldn't drink the water straight from a tap there. Another thing I avoid is eating raw seafoods there, although once or twice I have eaten the oysters at Veintaine Restaurant in Pattaya. But then, I've known guys that have eaten raw oysters here in Boston who came down with Hepatitis as well. I've noticed the Thais in Isaan eat the cockles damned near raw really as well. They just blanch them in some boiled water for a minute and then start eating the damned things ... basically nearly raw really. I don't eat them though myself.

Actually seeing the way food is treated there in Thailand, and the lack of serious sanitation safety with raw foods there I am actually amazed that I HAVEN'T gotten sick really. :eek:

Cent

Pale_Rider said:
suadum said:
New Petchburi Pete said:

My gut seems to be quite sensitive to bacteria. Maybe 4-5 times a year I'll get the squirts ... easily dispelled by a regimine of ciprofloxacin (500mg, 2/day for 5-6 days).

That seems overkill. My doc put my onto a single dose of Norfloxacin (800mg) for that kind of thing. Works a charm and also cheap.

Cheers,

SD

AND, the old standby, Pepto Bismol for the minor runs. For more severe bacterial infections, which can be taken also as a prophylactic, Doxy and cipro work well when dining at the "Y" ::

Palerider,

Yep, Pepto Bismol is my stand-by as well. It's the only thing that works for my gut for some reason if I have a light bout of stomach problems. I always bring a large bottle over, but the past few years have rarely needed it when in the LOS, my Thais use it much more often than I ever do. I do see that a lot of illnesses in Thailand can be traced back to food eaten from my own experiences with my family there, that, and the mosquitoes. Also rat urine in the rice paddies causes some serious illnesses as well. In my family everyone wears rubber boots now in the rice paddy when working the fields. They no longer go barefoot in the water and mud like they used to.

Cent

Hello josh_ingu,

I'm not familiar with charcoal/carbon tablets. Is there a name (in Thai) for them? ... and, what do they do?

Also, do they function in a similar fashion to the charcoal drink that's given to people who attempt suicide by overdosing on medications?

I'll mention the rehydration salts ... great to restore electrolyte balance when diarrhea is severe ... and the packets are cheap and widely available in most pharmacies, etc. I recall mentioning them rather recently in a similar thread.

DavidUK,

"In fact one of the few good things for me about returning to Franagland is dropping a "proper" log"

Had to laugh out loud over this statement! :D Just back one week now in the states after over four months in the LOS and am just now dropping proper 'logs' in a regular fashion as well after some dodgy movements over the past few months that never would seem to decide on a regular time-frame. Back here I become as regular as a Swiss watch. :) ::

Cent

New Petchburi Pete said:

Years ago, someone recommended tea made from diced ginger root ... helps quite a bit with nausea.

If antibiotics are needed or used, it's a good idea to replace the good bacteria that is killed with yoghurt or yoghurt drinks.

Harking back to the hygiene course, we asked the same question and these bio-yogs are about as effective as a chocolate kettle....the only good they do is that your not eating a bigmac...

josh_ingu said:

As an aside, I saw that several people recommend antibiotics. In "mild" cases this is probably overkill, and liable to do more long term damage than not (as it will kill the "healthy" intestinal flaora as well as the bad). Again, things like immodium are also best avoided where possible, as they really only "block you up" rather than "treat" anything.

In most cases a good compromise is charcoal/carbon tablets (yes they taste like shit) and wait it out...

-j-

Agreed 100%. I should have mentioned that I only use the Norfloxacin if the distress goes on for more than 3 days and I am seeing no results from the charcoal tabs. That is very rare indeed, perhaps once a year.

NPP: Charcoal tabs are readily available in any pharmacy. Just ask for "charcoal for torng see-a" (diarrhoea in Thai). They look like hockey pucks about the diameter of a 50 satang coin and come in blister packs of 10.

Cent: I too brush my teeth with tap water. And I even have been known to drink a little (like when I want to take an aspirin and there is no bottled water nearby) too with no ill effects. And yes, when I go back to the States, it takes at least a week before I am regular again!

Cheers,

SD

Nervous_Dog said:

Only times friends have been sick is often traced back to buffets at nice hotels!

Ever seen how meat is "worked" in the west? You'd turn into a vegitarian!

Most of the time I am very impressed with food preperation here, it's made fresh, on the spot,

DOG

right, and then, when i check "fresh* fruits who get imported from foreign countries to the Alps like Bananas, Orange, Kiwis etc.

I think, they don't see much sun while growing :: :barf:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Petchburi Pete said:

Years ago, someone recommended tea made from diced ginger root ... helps quite a bit with nausea.

If antibiotics are needed or used, it's a good idea to replace the good bacteria that is killed with yoghurt or yoghurt drinks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harking back to the hygiene course, we asked the same question and these bio-yogs are about as effective as a chocolate kettle....the only good they do is that your not eating a bigmac...

It all depends on the yogurt.

A lot of the commercial brands are useless but if you can get yogurt with lactobilius and bifid... they help restore the healthy bacteria to the gut. You can buy them in capsule form from GNC.

If you buy and prepare you own food i think the risks of food contamination and poisoning are very low. However if you are buying a lot of your cooked food from outside vendors regarldless of which country you live in you greatly increase the risk of food poisoning.

Archived