Jakarta - Meridien Hotel Bar

SingaporeSteve

Sorry for not adding this to the never ending post about Jakarta but quick question. I need to use up load of airmiles in next couple of weeks and thought a trip over to Jakarta would be nice for old times sake. I have not been for about 2 years but last time I went for business the bar in the Meridien seemed to be one of the in places. Is that still the case?

I also spent many nights and mornings at BATS, JJ's (and the one next door who's name I never remember), as well as CJ's, I think at the Mulia, Stadium etc etc etc - by 3am it all gets a bit blury....

I am not bothered about finding the real Jakarta - simply put, I miss the old place (or at least those places when I had an expense account !!!!). Normally I stay at the Mandarin Oriental but would be happy to go the Meridien and cut out the Bluebird Taxi man if its still a busy bar.

Cheers as always for any insight.

SS.

Meridien is a good hotel to stay (but pool is not that pleasant), with a nice indonesian atmosphere, good restaurants, ect, yet Tiga Puluh, the basement bar, is not what it used to be. Two years ago, it was good, of course a few steps under CJ and Retro, but now it's very quiet. Yet they just made some renovations and engaged a new band, so it's worth a visit to see if there's some changes.

Mulia is a much better hotel, and CJs is still the best pick-up spot in town (with Retro in Crown Plaza). My all-time absolute favorite. It's packed daily and by staying in the hotel you'll cut the queue, and have a 'status' with the girls and the waiters. Plaza Senayan, which is very good for mall-hunting, is also at two minutes.

BTW, JJ is unfortunatly now a morgue, and the club beside,Tanamur, is also very quite currently.

:beer:

Crown Plaza - Thats a new one on me but I will do a search. Sounds like the Meridien is the place not to stay (i actually stayed there about 6 yrs ago and apart from the food, I thought it was only so-so, but then I was not paying !!!)

Well aware of the ongoing thread which is always entertaining but I have only 2 days there and will have to stick with what I know. Although by the sound of things, everything has moved on substantially...

Cheers

I personnaly woudn't stay in Crown Plaza, this hotel has no 'atmosphere' and i don't like the location on JL Gato Subroto. And even if Retro is still one of the best Club in the world, don't forget that it's a late night spot, with a mixed crowd (can't be compared to Bats) and only good on Wed for ladies night and Fri/Sat.

Anyway why don't you chose a hotel in North Jakarta, close from Stadium and the others all-in-one huge Clubs like Mille's, Millenium, 1001, Sydney 2000, etc ?

You could 'optimize' your time and hit on afternoons nearby Chinatown spots like Tiara Cera or Bintang Mawar (or any of the dozens MPs/bars/discos of Lokasari/Hawam Wuruk area), then take Bluebirds at night to go to CJ, Bats, Retro, De Leila, Blok M or wherever ..... and at 5am, on the way back, maybe stop for the two or five last beers in Stadium, which opens 24 hours non-stop Thu/Mon !!

If I had to stay only two or three days in town I'd chose this area of north JKT, and stay in Alila or Sheraton Media, which are both good and cheaper than the hotels in CBD.

My main objection to Tigah Puluh was that I went expecting 'just another nightclub', but its quite upmarket (even if some of the clientele arent ..), and the prices reflect that. Still good value for many Bule, but not so great if you are trying to make your funds last. Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed a fair hike from Mandarin Oriental .... overall, JKT is a sprawling city, so you'll find that a problem wherever you stay.

" Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed a fair hike from Mandarin Oriental "

Meridien is only at few minutes from Plaza Indonesia Square where Mandarin and Grand Hyatt are located.

"but not so great if you are trying to make your funds last"

Yep, many Jakarta's upscale spots are quite expensive. A night's out in some good Clubs with two or three thirsty alcoholic bitches can hurt, but when comes the moment to go back to the hotel so they can, as a reward, fuck your brain's out for hours ......

:: :p ::

Prosal said:

" Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed a fair hike from Mandarin Oriental "

Meridien is only at few minutes from Plaza Indonesia Square where Mandarin and Grand Hyatt are located.

"but not so great if you are trying to make your funds last"

Yep, many Jakarta's upscale spots are quite expensive. A night's out in some good Clubs with two or three thirsty alcoholic bitches can hurt, but when comes the moment to go back to the hotel so they can, as a reward, fuck your brain's out for hours ......

:: :p ::

It formed my own golden triangle of Meridien, Shangrila and back to the Mandarin Oriental - never struck me as too far once the traffic dies down.

As for costs - yes some of these venues are not exactly cheap but a giant glass of Bintang or whatever the local beer is called always bring back good memories. I always nearly die though when the girls are wanting red wine - unreal prices even by the inflated standards in many Singapore venues.

Cheers

SingaporeSteve said:

unreal prices even by the inflated standards in many Singapore venues.

Right. Jakarta is pricey.

One of the 'trendy' coktail in Retro is a kind a miniscule and very strong mix, that the waiter inflame, and to drink as it burns. I don't remember the name, yet I remember that it costs 100 000 rps ::. One of my ex-'GF', as numerous others girls in Retro, loved it. The game for her and her best friend, also a model-type bitch, was to drink those shits on one shot and then intensely frenchkiss each other. It was nice, yet it often quickly turned quite pricey, even if I limited myself to Sol or Millers. ::

BTW I recommand Burgundy in Grand Hyatt (better on a Friday night), for the crowd and the numerous stunners, but above all for the delicious 'Martini Chocolate'. Yet avoid to take alcoholic bitches there, it's outrageously expensive.

::

• 3 weeks later...

Archived