Jakarta - Meridien Hotel Bar

SingaporeSteve

Novotel just opened a new branch in Jakarta, in Mangga Besar, the heart of Chinatown, quasi in front the mega nightclubs/entertainment complexes of JL Hayam Wuruck (Stadium, 1001, Millenium, Sydney 2000, ect, ect) and dozens and dozens of MPs, bars, brothels, billiard lounges and top KTVs like Olympic, Sand, Bintang Mawar, Today Country, Berlian, Travel, Sumo, Kartika, ect, ect. All this neighborhood of Mangga Besar/Lokasari has been transformed in recent years in an immense entertainment area.

The opening rates begin at 41 us$ !!!

A nice accomodation for VERY naughty guys ::.

The hotel features include a trendy design with contemporary Asian interior, five restaurants and bars, a fitness, a spa and a designer's swimming pool.

::

Prosal said:

Steve

Any update from JKT ?

The trip fell through and I ended up extending the miles until Xmas :(

The good news is that now four of us are planning a business trip to look at, urhum, business opportunities and 2 of them will be on substantial expense accounts :)

Hopefully will happen in September

SingaporeSteve said:

The good news is that now four of us are planning a business trip to look at, urhum, business opportunities and 2 of them will be on substantial expense accounts :)

In this case, if you want to treat yourself, stay in Mulia. The hotel is really fabulous and its club (CJs) is one of the best in town (I'd rate Retro n°1), with every day tons of pros, semi-pros, occasionnals and regulars to chase. Great band and great DJs too. Best days are the Wed ladies night and Sunday. Weekends are good but really too crowded.

Call directly to reserve. By doing this I've always had very decent discounted rates in Mulia, yet it was for long stays of one month or more. But for four rooms you can also surely negociate.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Ritz-Carlton is surely worth a try at their promotional opening rates, only checked out the bar which was fine but not really rolling in full steam yet. For budget accomm., the new Harris Hotel just opened near the Casablanca/Manggarai/Soepomo -junction. Surely cheap lodging at a good lcation.

Oh, Retro plays hip-hop now. Shit, that's it for that place now, it was a good run while it lasted.

• 4 weeks later...
Prosal said:

The opening rates begin at 41 us$ !!!

A nice accomodation for VERY naughty guys ::.

Prosal,

Am I reading you right that these places (e.g., Novotel) are girl friendly and do not charge extra for a companion? Or do I have to book a double when reserving?

$41 sounds like a deal.

All hotels in Jakarta are guest friendly with no extra charge. No need to book a double room. I've stayed in Grand Mahakam, Sheraton Media, Hilton, Grand Hyatt, Mulia, Borobudur, Mercure Rekso, Meridien, Aryaduta, ect, and I've NEVER had a problem.

Just remember that JKT is an immense megapole where traffic is horrendous, impratictable during the day. So the choice of your hotel depends of what you plan to do for daytime : choose the area of Mangga Besar/Hayam Wuruck (Novotel) only if you want to partake the Chinatown P4P/brothels scene (most spots open at 3pm). But if you enjoy better semi-pros/regulars and mall-hunting, better stay in Central/South Jakarta, closer from upscale malls like Plaza Indonesia, Plaza Senayan or Pasaraya.

At night, no problems ; traffic is fluid, taxis are cheap and very confortable (Blue Birds/Silver Birds), and the city is all yours. ::

Cheers

Froggie,

I would second Prosal's post, with this proviso - be cool. If you are going to parade an endless stream of skinny good-time girls (aka 'chicken') through the lobby in broad daylight, expect a few knowing looks from both guests and staff. Smile broadly, and tip the Indonesian staff often - frequency seems more important than the size of the tip - and you'll have allies behind the front desk instead of people who want to question your bar tab when you check out.

Cheers,

Artie

Archived