@$^%@^ WiFi Access Point

Sorry,

I said i wasn't sure.

It's some time that I used Win2k. Does it have these network setup wizard as well? The wizard adjusts the settings of your desktops LAN automatically so I did not tell how the settings for your desktop LAN should be. Think I am on the wrong OS.

A suggestion I did not want to give because you bought the AP already, but seems so much easier. Your setup is a little complicated. I'd have bought a full blown WLAN router with build-in DSL modem. The router offers you a nice hardware firewall as well. No setting up ICS at all, all computers connect via the router to the internet and to other computers. Setup on the computers quite easy. Cost for the WLAN router should not be much more than you paid for the AP.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carleton-

Would the wireless LAN/router setup work to make 2 computers also talk to each other?

My laptop has WiFi, the desktop doesn't. Both have LAN card.

The machines are currently connected via a LAN cable. The machines can talk to each other. They used to share the ADSL connection through the desktop (laptop to desktop to Adsl modem. They still talk, but I cannot (again) get them to both access the internet.

I'm thinking desktop hard wired to wireless LAN/router, use the laptop anywhere in my apartment and still be able to share files on the 2 machines, securely.

::

Khun Kong,

when your internet connection sharing (ICS) was working but isn't anymore this can be many reasons. I assume both machines are running WinXP. Did you disable the firewall service on one or both of the machines. You may/should set the windows firewall to inactive but should not disable the service because it also handles ICS. Tools like xp-antispy offer the option to disable the service and one may just check the option and loose ICS without knowing why.

connecting both machines to an (wireless) router will let them both connect to the internet and connect to each other. The simplest routers are wired with a build in 4 port switch for 10/100 Mbit LAN connections. So you can create a network between up to 4 computers who all can connect to the internet independent from each other.

Wireless routers offer xx wireless connections (check the manual) plus LAN port (usually one). Of course the router lets the computers connect to the internet and connect to each other. Just with the usual traps of wireless connections.

Most routers include a hardware firewall that works against intrusion but is helpless against leakings. You might get rid of software firewalls.

Many routers have additional features, like

- printer port for printer sharing

- USB port to connect a computer (if cable I prefer LAN)

- VOIP functionality plus sockets to connect ordinary phones

There are wired and wireless routers with and without modem. If your current modem connects to the computer via USB then it's of no use with a router.

If wired or wireless, ICS or router, hardware or software firewall: setup is important. Wrong setup either leaves you without connection or lets everyone in.

When you are interested in a router before you buy it download the manual and read through it. If you feel confident go ahead, otherwise see if you can find someone to help you with the setup.

I hope I didn't cause more confusion then necessary.

Archived