@$^%@^ WiFi Access Point

Black Tiger,

Sorry, I'm clueless about your problem, but just reminded me to tell Gummigut that my 3Com wireless router is no longer wireless. I've got meters of lan cable in my living room going to my desktop and laptop. Gotta get you back over again. And yes, I have reset the box so many times and it will work again (wirelessly) for a few minutes but then stop.

Cheers!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a driver on your PC and Laptop to run the Wireless card. That's where you would set up adhoc vs infrastructure. But it's not really necessary to set to infrastructure first, I just thought doing that would prevent the laptop from hooking into your desktop.

To get into the WAS54G, how do you do it? Via cable or wireless? (Wireless is not the preferred way of doing it. Much better to do ii via cable if you can.)

I'll look up the specs on the WAS54G (or is it WAP54G) tonight or tomorrow.

(Also, the IP address you quote is a bit strange. Are you sure you have it correct? For example, 3Com and Zyxel generally use 192.168.1.1 and Dlink/USR use 192.168.123.254?)

You sure it's 245 and not 254? That would give you a time-out for sure....

Anyway, talk later...

Sorry, fat fingers. It is WAP54G. Connected to the desktop with an Ethernet cable.

Per the docs with the unit, KeeKwai was correct with the IP addy, as odd as it may seem.

No wireless card in the desktop, just the WAP54G access point.

Oh, I am not complaining that the laptop connects to the desktop as that was one goal. The other is to get the laptop to be able to surf the net here at home (it does it fine elsewhere) via the WiFi.

Cheers,

SD

Trying to debug it this way really isn't working... but...

When starting to trouble-shoot, you need to make sure everything is as 'open' as possible. For example, no firewall! By any chance do you have one up? Want to turn off WEP, WPA, and make sure SSID is broadcasting.

Anyway, this time I'm really going to stop trying to debug becasue I think we need to discuss what you have exactly....

Suadum,

guess you've done the following already. I'll write it anyway.

you have reset the WAP54G. Fine. Now it's IP address is as you said 192.168.1.245, factory setting.

Now go to Network connections on your desktop computer. Choose the network connection that your WAP54G is connected to. Right click on it, choose properties. There protocol for microsoft networks, file and printer sharing and TCP/IP should be checked.

choose TCP/IP and properties. There enter IP address 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Save. Maybe restart. Now try to access the WAP54G again. Type the IP address in your browser or run the linksys software. You should be able to access the WAP54G from your desktop computer now.

Mind, the computers now both should be able to 'see' the access point, but might not 'see' each other. And I am sure internet connection sharing is not working yet. There's still more to do.

Hope I could help a bit.

Dingdingdingding! The prize goes to Carlton!!!!

It was set to obtain IP addy automatically. Changing it got it to work! Yea!!!

OK, now what to do to make the connection to the internet? Man, it seems like the last time I did this it was quite easy. But I was using a router, not an access point.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

fine that this works.

To set up the internet connection sharing you have to use the network wizzards in XP and change some of the settings.

I have to say that I set up internet connection sharing with computers connected directly, and with WLAN routers. But I have never had the setup like yours with the Access Point in between the computers. Don't kick me if the following suggestions won't give the desired result. At least you have the staus quo as fallback option.

With your laptop go to network connections, choose the wifi connection, ricght click choose properties. Choose TCP/IP and properties. Set it to obtain address automatically. Save and save. Now back in network connections start the wizzard 'add computer to home or small office network' (sorry if I don't get the translation right as I have a german system. I had an english Win XP once so I try to guess from memory.). Click next and next, choose 'this computer connects to the internet via gateway or another computer', next and next, put in a workgroup name like 'suadumnet' (same workgroup as on your desktop computer), next, choose file and printer sharing, next and next, choose 'finish wizzard' and next and finish. As the XP firewall is linked to the internet connection sharing the firewall might have enabled itself. Please disable it.

Reboot the laptop. Connect your desktop computer to the internet and try from the laptop if you can reach any site on the internet. I doubt it but it would save some trouble. If it works then forget the rest I am writing. Otherwise proceed.

Now you gonna change some settings in your AP and desktop computer. From your desktop computer open the browser and type your APs IP address, which is 192.168.1.245 right now. I refer to the manual that I downloaded from the net, this is page 31 following. On the setup screen you'll see the IP address. Change configuration type to 'Automatic - DHCP'. Save settings and exit.

Go to your desktop computers network connections. Run the wizzard 'set up home or small office network'. Choose 'computer connects to the internet directly, other computers use the shared connection of this computer'. Next. Choose the entry used for internet connection. Must be some DFÜ connection, right? Next. It will present you the possible connections that other computers use to connect to your computer. Choose the network connection to your AP (only this if there is more than one option). Some more screens follow. Don't forget to put in your networks name (like 'suadumnet') and activate file and printer sharing. Finish the wizzard. Now disable the windows firewall on your desktop computer. Reboot. Now I just hope that everything works and your laptop is able to use the desktops internet connection. I really hope it works.

You can start to configure the AP via the web interface. All you need to know its IP address. Damn, you set it to 'obtain automatically'! Look at your manual pages 9 and 10. This should give the current IP and then you may start configuring the AP via browser.

Good luck, and as said previous, this is how I think it should work but have never done it with an AP in the middle.

Carlton: Nice, I totally forgot about network settings and having the right proticols loaded.

Sorry to hear that Pom Michael.

My wireless goes down too but that only happens when my server has a gazillion connections via downloading torrents.

Just let me know when.

<<burp>>

LOL, I have been busy with work and not had a chance to post. It didn't fuck up the confuser as far as the desktop and the ADSL connection, but it did fuck up the laptop to desktop network and I still cannot get on the net from the WiFi network -- not it does nothing. So I have went a step backwards.

I have some time to look at it today, so I'll try to see what I can see. FYI, I use Win2K, not XP, but I could decipher your instructions.

Cheers,

SD

Archived