Writing contest

khunsanuk

Hi,

After all the photo contests, I think it is time we had another writing contest as well.

Details are still a little sketchy at the moment, but here's what we have planned:

Closing date for entries: August 31st

Closing date for voting: September 10th

Date for reading and final voting: To be determined

Max number of words: 5,000 ?

Theme: As long as there is a connection to Thailand, it's okay.

Prizes (so far):

1st prize: $100 (donated by Cent) + "Losing the plot" by C.Woww book (all copies donated by C.Woww)

2nd prize: Bottle of JW Black (donated by Old Hippie) + "Losing the plot" by C.Woww book

3rd prize: "Losing the plot" by C.Woww book

Would really like to get some additional prizes, but nothing firm yet.

The voting will be like this:

Every member gets to rate each of the stories in the first round of voting. This will give us the top 3 stories.

Then we have an evening in Gulliver's (I suppose, could be elsewhere if people prefer, maybe something more quiet) in which the stories are read out loud (preferably by the authors) and a panel of judges will then rate each of the stories.

I'm hoping to get one or more published writers to be judges (thinking of C.Woww, Dean Barrett, Stephen Leather ?), but have yet to approach any of them.

As usual, suggestion and comments welcome.

Sanuk!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to a good job on my tax return (me), looks like I'll definately be LOS-way... eventually. Bad news is... not for another 6 months unless I jump ship work wise (I know, I say that every year).

In any case, I'd be happy to bring a few prizes from down under. Maybe stuff that is hard to get in LOS? (ND, if you're reading this, stuff like what Suadum bought back for you & JJ recently), as well as some wine, beer, Bundy Rum... open to suggestions.

I realise this contest will be over by then, thinking ahead a bit - future contests, writing and/or photo ones... I'll PM closer to the date or when they're more fixed.

KS and All,

You might want to announce this in a banner ad as well, or at least as a sticky post in the high volume forums for a few weeks to make sure you get everyone's full participation and attention in this contest, especially if the members here are to be the judges of the contest. Since this is not a monthly contest like the pic contest it might need more advertisement to get it full attention.

Would love to see contest entries from a lot of the newer members here, also from some of the regular story writers and trip reporters as well. C'mon people, write up your Thai related story and enter the contest! It'll be fun to read the stories and judge the outcome for the best stuff presented. This is something everyone here can get involved in that likes to read the stories and posts (many of which are just stories of adventures and experiences in the LOS). So you all have until the end of August to enter your stories, which should be plenty of time for all.

May the best man win! ::

Cent

Old Hippie said:

I'll donate the usual bottle of Black label. Should be able to get it to you in time.

OH,

All right! That's the spirit! (Nyuk nyuk, get it? Spirit? Never mind.) Thanks, and I hope to see an entry by you in the contest as well dude.

For those who might not know: any story is welcome, be it non-fiction or fiction. Make something up, or tell us a story of an adventure you've had in the LOS. Write down your experience of a relationship gone bad, or of the best time you've ever had in Thailand. Tell us about your full moon party experience, or anything different or strange you've done, or, make it all up and horrify or amuse us. Sexy stories are welcome as well. So do your dirtiest guys. But please, all are invited to place an entry into the contest. The more the merrier. Get writing!

I don't have much room left in my bag, but maybe a large bottle of Sam Adams beer, Boston's finest, will be added as a prize as well. If I don't drink it first. :neener:

OH, no Si Saket Girl stories! My heart can't take any more! :D

Cent

"...Write down your experience of a relationship gone bad, or of the best time you've ever had in Thailand...OH, no Si Saket Girl stories! My heart can't take any more! ..."

"...She was the best of times, she was the worst of times..." :)

• 2 weeks later...

All,

The prize money was left for KS this weekend in Bangkok for the writing contest. I hope many of you members will enter the contest and have fun doing so. I look forward to reading the entries to the contest, and will be cajoling friends and other members to add their entry as well. Let's get writing and have some fun with this guys. I hope to see lots of entries over the next month. All are welcome to enter, so please give it a shot. I'm sure we'll get many amusing and interesting entries to enjoy.

Cent

p.s. I will also be giving KS a bottle of Jim Beam to put toward the prizes.

Archived