Writing contest

khunsanuk

KS,

Why not postpone the contest entries deadline until Oct. 1st? Seems we are off to a slow start. Many are on holiday during the summer and/or busy. So a later entry deadline might be better us to change the date by a few weeks and have a much more interesting contest. I spoke with Alexander Turner last night and he is writing up an entry. And I have been too busy myself to get mine written up in time for the contest deadline, as others may be as well. (Finally finished my last class. Lots of work involved in that last class, and little time to write for the contest.)

Will send in my photos tonight for this month's contest.

Just a thought.

Cent

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually inspired me, but i am mad i did not think of the "novices fighting over a girl" news story from ND. I would have loved to write that one up.

I take you seriously, if i write, i need to commit myself heart and soul , which goes against my favorite occupation, ie. doing nothing.

I have always performed better as a real deadline approaches, and the publisher starts showing his concern, if not threats. That'll get your creative juices going, as you know well, I'd think.

last time i worked on a project, I was asked to write captions for pix in a photography book. My father had just died, and the editor called as i am to fly back to Paris the next morning. I felt bad, especially knowing my dad would have never let someone down, stayed up all night, and he had his captions, and me my flight. :relieved:

I don't like deadlines myself. I have lots of bits and pieces filed away. It's hard to say what sparks a story off. Can be a phrase or a fragment of conversation, then something else comes along that seems to fit....beginning, middle and end work themselves out somehow. Very strange process. Of course you never know if they're any good or not so I try not to think about that side of things. :)

Yes, I need a stimilus myself. would compare it to composing music. I have to strum a few chords, or doodle on the piano, then i have the thread, but it rarely comes without the instrument.

It's often when i am moving, like in a bus, a train, half asleep in a car, story ideas pop in my head. You can make up a whole novel skeleton on that ride. When you are still again, it comes out all mush, DOA, you were just tripping or lulling yourself, or it seems to stand. In that case, you might be on to something. the hardest, writing it, the craft, is yet ahead in any case.

Archived