Alcoholics Annonymous

Mekong

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SiLeakHunt said:

Fiery you cunt. BKK August ? Do my ears decieve me ?

See you round at some point

cheers

Yup, 16th to 20th, by the shape of the tea leaves. Oh Christ, you're not going to be there, are you? :drunk: I'd better get on the blower pronto and set up some AA meetings for September. Maybe I can get a discount on a block booking. :doah:

jack :help:

Wow. I was quite surprised to see this thread. I've been to LOS 4 times in the last 8 months. I've been a sober member of AA for 17 years, and was a little worried about picking up a drink in Thailand while obsessing on all the women and being in bars the whole time. I kept meaning to find a meeting, but never seemed to find the time.

I'm sorry some of you have run across some of the idiots and bible thumpers in AA, but for the most part AA members absolutely insist on enjoying life and living it to the fullest. I hated going to the meetings for the first few months, but it was the only thing that kept me sober. There are many different types of meetings in virtually every city in the world, and since there are no rules, some of them get taken over by lunatics. It it wasn't for AA, I would definitely be dead already, and missing out on all the great times in LOS.

I?m really glad the AA meeting and their methods worked for you as I am sure they have for many others. However, I?ll say this one more time ? the center piece of their treatment program is based on belief in Jesus as the almighty savior. If you can?t buy into the bible stuff, the AA approach will not work for you.

ST

"I don?t want to talk about Jesus, I just want to see his face" ? The Rolling Stones

Hi mekong,

First - good luck. I sometimes wonder if I am really an alcoholic, but I don't have the extreme symptoms described and don't have a problem to lay off for a few days if I have to. I just like alcohol (beer), and getting pissed.

This is a very interesting thread, so thanks again for starting it. Like most people, I have heard of AA and known of them for many years. I have never been involved in any way, but must admit to being very surprised that they have a religious angle. I was never aware of that. I thought they were a self help/group therapy organisation - with all the good and the bad points about that described here.

Very interesting thread. Must stop as I'm off to the pub after work before I go home.

Khwai

Nervous_Dog said:

Steve - did you buy into the bible stuff or are you a fun luvin heathen?

DOG

Proud to be a heathen as are many members of AA.

One of the many myths of AA is that you have to believe in Jesus. That is totally incorrect. Most people know there are 12 steps. The "spiritual" step, simply says " came to believe in a power great than ourselves". That can be Buddha, Mohammad, or simply a belief that there exists a higher entity that can guide you to recovery. Many simply believe in the power of nature. Another important point is "came to believe". Most new members (including myself) enter AA with a complete hatred of anything religious. I still don't like religion and never go to church, but after being sober for awhile, and doing some deep thinking, I did come to believe that there is likely a higher intelligence, even though it is way beyond my comprehension.

I also still enjoy going to meetings if only to keep the bible thumpers from scaring away the newcomers. There is a lot of satisfaction in watching people who are at their wits end, turn themeselves around and become proper heathens again; albeit with a little more empathy for others.

Archived