Alcoholics Annonymous

Mekong

MisterBlonde said:

To the self confessed alcoholics out there.....what would you drink on an average night when you used to drink? i usually drink a bottle of wine and a couple of beers every night,but never feel that i have a problem.

It's not the amount you drink, it's the amount of damage that you do to your life, to your reputation, to yourself, and to those around you, mate. :(

I have a pal, a schoolteacher in his late 40s, who drinks a bottle of scotch a day, :applause: has his first nip at breakfast time and knocks it back steadily till nightfall. He's never fucked up at work, has a happy(ish) long term relationship with a bird, is financially secure, and I've never seen him noticeably "sozzled" and making a jackass of himself in public.

When I was at the "height" of my boozing madness, :o on the other hand, I could drink just three or four tins of lager at breakfast/lunch time to top up my battery and have my behaviour deteriorate to the extent that I was noticeably ratarsed, fucking up in public and acting like a twat. :doah:

It's a good question, though: how much do we drink, and what do we tipple. After two decades as (predominantly) a beer drinker, I'd started drinking red wine as my jar of choice a year or so before I decide to put the brakes on. A lot of alkies do that: beer's too bulky of volume to start drinking before lunch, and spirits get you (or, at least, me) arseholed too fast. :nono: Wine is a happy medium. :up: I was on about 1.5 to 2 bottles of the cheapest piss-vino I could buy per day basic, plus a few beers and tequila shots if I managed to stay on my feet till nightfall and hit a bar. :chili: The first bottle of wine hardly hit the sides on its way down, and I viewed it as a bracer, something to set me up for the day. The second bottle would be the one that started getting me woozy. The ale or spirits at night, if I had them, were what would send me bonkers loopy-loo, :clown: otherwise I'd just hit the hay and sleep, then get up the next day and off we go again. :p

Yup, them were the days... :rolleyes:

jack :help:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the self confessed alcoholics out there.....what would you drink on an average night when you used to drink? i usually drink a bottle of wine and a couple of beers every night,but never feel that i have a problem.

I drink a few each night - 2 to 6 "stubbies/cans/small bottles" - probably 4 on average. If visitors arrive, then out comes the wine, spirits, champagne... I don't have a problem with it either, only when I run out. BUT when the missus is in town, I hardly drink at all... it's an arrangement we have.

Archived