Teacher head batted by bar owner!

Neo

Source: the Nation

BANGKOK: -- An American man was attacked by a board-wielding assailant on Thursday morning, leaving him in serious condition in hospital with a fractured skull and internal bleeding.

Ken Jacob, a teacher who goes by the name Baba, was attacked near a sidewalk bar on the corner of Soi Asoke and Sukhumvit Road at 2am.

A bartender at a bar which has no name accused him of knocking over two whiskey bottles behind the bar and demanded more than Bt1,000 from him, according to Nick Cussell, who was with Jacob at the time.

Jacob denied breaking anything and refused to pay and left with Cussell.

?Then a man came out of nowhere and smashed him in the head,? said Cussell.

A witness who works at a nearby noodle shop said the man had attacked Jacob with a board, said Paritha Sricharoen, Jacob?s wife.

Lieutenant Pumin Ngarmlai, of Tong Lor Police Station, said he would question the owner of the bar today.

Cussell denied that Jacob had knocked over the bottles.

?I think she [the bartender] was just trying to get money out of two farangs,? he said.

Jacob was in the intensive-care unit at Bumrungrad Hospital yesterday, and doctors said it was too early to make a prognosis.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't there either. But, irrespective of the actual events, I continue to be alarmed by the violent behavior of Thai people - Land of Smiles and mai ben rai may exist on the surface but it seems like a great deal of volitilaty exists below.

I normally feel very safe in BKK but, I always feel if a problem comes about, the possibilities for very negative consequences are as high as anyplace I have ever been.

Late at night, when people have been drinking, I am on my guard - and I am referring to Thais - I am less concerned about routy, drunken farangs because I know how to deal with them to diffuse the situation.

Gotsta go with the Hippie on this one and give the benefit of the doubt to the Thai. Given the loutish beahviour I see and hear about every time I go out to the bars, I am surprised that this does not happen more and is a testament to the niceness of the Thais.

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

I saw an English lout take a sevre beating from 2 thai guys in the bogs of an English pub a few weeks ago for mouthing off, I've never seen someone get beaten so fast (shirt was dripping with his own blood and all dazed and fucked up), he really was a swaggering jerk claiming he (and his friend) were going to do them some harm. These Thais are Thai born and most of their life in bkk, proberbly been in some sort of gang, need I say more!

suadum said:

Gotsta go with the Hippie on this one and give the benefit of the doubt to the Thai. Given the loutish beahviour I see and hear about every time I go out to the bars, I am surprised that this does not happen more and is a testament to the niceness of the Thais.

Cheers,

SD

The "benefit of the doubt"?? Whatever words were exchanged (and whosever was the fault) words don't smash people's skulls, cowardly rabid dogs do.

And once again, whatever had happened, the ones mayhemed are the farangs.

lazyphil said:

I saw an English lout take a sevre beating from 2 thai guys in the bogs of an English pub a few weeks ago for mouthing off, I've never seen someone get beaten so fast (shirt was dripping with his own blood and all dazed and fucked up), he really was a swaggering jerk claiming he (and his friend) were going to do them some harm. These Thais are Thai born and most of their life in bkk, proberbly been in some sort of gang, need I say more!

These Thais are Thai born and for all of their life are used to gang up, attack from behind and beat those weaker than them (the women, the elders or those in smaller number), need I say more!

This is only in reply to your post as we don't have the facts. Loutish behavior is to be expected when you're serving alcohol to men till 2am it's no excuse to grab a board and whack a guy on the head. If you can't handle loutish behavior pick a different business.

FIGJAM said:

These Thais are Thai born and for all of their life are used to gang up, attack from behind and beat those weaker than them (the women, the elders or those in smaller number), need I say more!

Please dont, but I will : you make moronic conclusions !

BB

Archived