Random Foreigners Being attacked by gangs

Here is a link to the news story

http://www.planetbangkok.com/archives/2005/08/foreigner_stabb.php

Only posting this here as most Thai papers seem to not be printing anything about this.

Below is the opening from the story.

Over the last few months I have been hearing scattered stories of young gangs of motorbikers attacking seemingly at random innocent Bangkok civilians, normally late at night. In many cases I am told that foreigners are being attacked more often than Thais, but this is certainly not always the case. Most of the time several youths savagely beat their victim with sticks and machetes.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually, these guys mostly beat up their peers. The story posted is a also a bit unclear. It seems they were quite young, 20-ish or so. Also I'm not certain that they both were "white" farangs (note the reference to Butanese friends and brother). Perhaps, it was a "mistaken" attack on what they thought was another Thai!?

As I used to be a motorcycle driver myself and lived close to an area were these boys (and girls for that matter) like to race and meet up for fights, I've seen them many times. It's not unusual to spot them with large machetes "hidden" under their shirts, so they're definately armed and dangerous. However, I've never had a problem personally, but that's of course not to say that it couldn't happen.

Glad to hear that is does not seem to be as wide spread as that article makes it out to be. I used to fight in underground fights when I first got out of the millitary so I can usually walk around most places feeling secure that I can hold my own, but Superman I am not so the mention of machetes was kinda alarming.

Brought back memories of being attacked in Mexico, I was drunk as hell and got jacked by 5 mexicans, was holding my own really well then felt a sharp knife at my throat. At that point I said, f it you can have everything. That night I lost a $250 dollar pair of boots, A silver Belt buckle all my cash, but at least lived to tell the tell with a scare about an inch from my jugular vain. Well never go back there again.

While it has be some time since I have been back to Thailand, when I was there I always felt safe compaired to some of the other larger cities I have been to including US cities.

Don't want you guys to think I am some macho guy that looks for trouble or anything like that as I hate fighting, just some times sh.. well it happens sometimes to the best of us.

Superfrk said:

Over the last few months I have been hearing scattered stories of young gangs of motorbikers attacking seemingly at random innocent Bangkok civilians, normally late at night.

That has been happening at least since K. Meaw's "War on Drugs v1" started. Pillion riders with boards bop people on the head or the slash bags/sholder straps and steal their stuff. Sometimes they miss and slash the people instead. I just saw some video on TV3 news from a traffic cam somewhere showing this. Generally happens in more out of the way places like Lad Phrao and 99.9% to Thais. The closest thing to a bad part of town near the farang ghetto was the Prakanong pedestrian overpass late at night. It used to be a haven for muggers. But that has been cleaned up as I understand.

Certainly not a farang problem tho'. Just junkies trying to get their fix, like any other big city.

Cheers,

SD

Fly told me as soon as Mr T's war on drugs started that the crime rate would go up. Yabaa was fairly cheap, before the WOD began. The junkies weren't about to give it up, and since the price was now beyond their means they would have to turn to robbing people to get the money they needed.

Not the first time Fly has been right ...

Yep, i have been told by many Thais that Thailand is much more dangerous and to be careful when i am out and about.

The supposed drugs war is i believe to blame in part so

I suppose violence begets violence.

Same same in the south.

These methods never do any good in the long term.

"Just junkies trying to get their fix, like any other big city"

SD, that story is not about robbery and perhaps not even including junkies. The way it reads it's leisure beating of people to death. Doesn't sound good but acts of random violence do indeed happen in other big city, although I'd like to know more about the scale in BKK nowadays.

Was in Ratchada late last night BTW, in Bahn Suan, no plomblem.

Sounds like the "Wilding" that used to occur in New York. A gang of teens would set out on the streets, encounter random indivduals and attack them like a pack of wild animals.

They even became bold enough to begin video taping their attacks. I recall seeing one such encounter where they ask a man for directions or something to divert his attention. Someone appears from the side of the frame and sucker punches him, knocking him out cold. The band of assholes then give him a good beating while he is on the ground and piss on him.

Fortunately the video ended up in the hands of law enforcement officals and most responsible were arrested and convicted.

Archived