Random Foreigners Being attacked by gangs

similar to a new thing in the UK.

Kids are beating up other Kids and filming it on their camera phones and then putting it on the Internet.

they call it happy slapping,i don't see anything happy about it from the victims POV.

a bad case was when a 12-14 y.o. Girl was gang raped and it was filmed.

but of course the guilty parties are protected from any punishment because of their age and 'Human Rights'........... :banghead:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jitagawn said:

Right sure could NEVER happen to a farang. ::

I suppose that if you make a habit of hanging out late at night on the top end of Lad Phrao, the Klong Toey slums or other places that are high crime areas, or are an asshole and get your kicks from pissing people off (but then of course it would not be random then, would it?), then it could happen to you.

But if you stay in the highly farang/tourist populated areas like Sukhumvit between Ekkamai and the highway, Silom, Luan Suang, etc., and act as a normal human, then no, you have a better chance of being killed in a plane crash on the way here than having anything violent happen to you.

I like the line from the original story. It meshes well with what I have found living here for many years: In my experience, there are, broadly-speaking, two types of farang I meet here - those who regularly bump into such problems and those who, despite many years in Thailand, have never had a problem. Maybe you are in the first group? :dunno: I obviously am in the second.

Regards,

SD

Suadam said

But if you stay in the highly farang/tourist populated areas like Sukhumvit between Ekkamai and the highway, Silom, Luan Suang, etc., and act as a normal human, then no, you have a better chance of being killed in a plane crash on the way here than having anything violent happen to you."

You seem to have a very short memory.

Last week a guy a (teacher i think) in Asoke was almost killed after some dispute over a bar bill.

The tourist areas are generally safer than other areas in LOS but it does seem that the level of violence is on the rise.

The more worrying aspect is the lack of police action in most of these cases.

I saw a warning (in Thai) yesterday in a building on Sathorn South about slash and grab motorcycle thieves. I was there for a meeting, and when I asked about the sign, I was told that several of their employees (all females) had been attacked in the evening on their way to the Lumphini subway (underground) station. One was hurt seriously. She was carrying a large laptop size bag (with no laptop inside), and the slasher missed the strap but got her arm badly. She is in the hospital now. Because she worked with the people I was meeting, I got a fairly detailed account of what happened. They certainly don't consider their part of Bangkok safe.

And this is a part of Bangkok that few would consider particularly dangerous. It?s a business area. Many major accounting firms, law firms and multinationals maintain their offices here. I think Carrefour has its Thailand HQ office in this area, and the Sukhothai hotel (five star hotel) is very close.

These are opportunistic robberies rather attacks aimed at foreigners. But I have no doubt that they would also attack a Farang if the opportunity presented itself. Without getting into the (red herring) comparison argument, the point here is that even the "good" areas of Bangkok can be dangerous - much more dangerous than many tourists assume.

but it does seem that the level of violence is on the rise.

The more worrying aspect is the lack of police action in most of these cases.

The economy is also seriously slipping, and I wonder if that has anything to do with the rise in violent crime. Consumer debt has sky rocketed while the GDP growth this year will come in at about half of what was predicted at the beginning of the year. Many Thais are starting feel the affects of the slow down, particularly those who are less educated and only marginally employed to begin with.

No need to get personal oh leader of the SC bar pack, I just find your views enormously simplistic.Life it never so black and white.

I have been living in Thailand most of the time for

almost 15 years,apparently speak Thai with little or no accent,blah blah blah and have never personanlly been the victim of any violent acts.( This despite the fact that I eschew the tourist areas like the plague.)

We play on different fields. ::

Zorro said:

You seem to have a very short memory.

Last week a guy a (teacher i think) in Asoke was almost killed after some dispute over a bar bill.

No short memory. Since you and I do not know the real story about that incident, I choose to use my experience with low end farangs drinking on plastic stools on the street afterhours to fill in the blanks.

In any problem I see with my own eyes with that crowd (and I see them any time I happen to be out too late), 99 44/100 of the time it is the farang who is acting sub-human, a note I made in the original post of you read it fully. Usually the Thai lets it pass. That time the Thai did not. Was it right? No. Was it justified? Maybe, I'd venture even likely. Should the Thai be punished? Yes, of course.

But I digress. The conversation was about unprovoked violence. I stand 100% behind my comments. You are more likely to die in an airplane crash on the way here than to be a victim of unprovoked violence. Unless you're an asshole. But then it is not really unprovoked, is it? So the original statement is still valid.

Regards,

SD

jitagawn said:

almost 15 years,apparently speak Thai with little or no accent,blah blah blah and have never personanlly been the victim of any violent acts

Oh, so you admit that you have no idea how some of the current tourists act, so you really have no idea if the violence against them is "justified" or not. I see. And you call me simplistic.

As far as you life in LoS, good on ya. But I am confused. Your basis for claiming that Thailand is full of ruffians that attack foreigners for no reason is...? Sounds like your experiences equals mine in that department. Why the 180 degree different opinion as it surely is not justified by your experience. Maybe you just think there are too many farang tourists here are want to scare a few off (now that may not be a bad thing LOL, just admit it).

Regards,

SD

I don't know why you think it is so black and white in that only low end farangs (or specifically tourists) can get targeted and that they caused it in some way.

Someone I know, who you have also met was attacked in a totally unproked manner with an iron bar, coming out of the 7/11 that used be on the corner of soi 13. This was before you were living here.

He spent 4 weeks in Bumrungrad and was extremely lucky to leave there at all. Was he low end - far from it. To this day he doesn't know why he was attacked as there was no robbery motive or vendetta involved.

Not an isolated incident either ... another guy I know to say hello to, about 2 years ago was attacked on soi 22. Again he was not drunk or making any confrontations.

These things as you say are extremely rare, but they do happen. Nothing is as black and white. Yes they happen as they could happen anywhere in the world.

Cheers

farangman

"No short memory. Since you and I do not know the real story about that incident, I choose to use my experience with low end farangs drinking on plastic stools on the street afterhours to fill in the blanks"

You could argue that no one knows the real story about anything following your line of argument.

Very convenient for you so that you can feel safe in your own prejudices that it could only happen to a " low life farang".

The thing is I have heard enough stories to make me wonder if things are indeed not getting worse as regards to violence and petty crime.

I think that Gadfly1 has hit the nail on the head with the deteriorating economic circumstances.

Crime will alwasy increase with more desperate economic conditions.

You can also add the higher cost of illicit drugs into the mix.

You might want to also consider the rampant consumerism in LOS where many are being left far behind in terms of wages condtions and future.....also a culture of violence etc..

The main point i believe is that anyone could be become the victim of crime and it seems that it is becoming more likely of late.

Archived