Random Foreigners Being attacked by gangs

Actually I don't think I need any support for my position when (a) the stats (which I must have posted half a dozen times back me up) and (B) some members who disagree are now arguing Thailand is perfectly safe, provided you don't go to bars frequented by foreigners.

It's a question of degree. I haven't checked, but the homocide rate probably is lower than Jamica, but there is no legitimate dispute that - except among the rose tinted glasses crowd - Thailand's homocide rate and the general level of violence is substantially higher than the US or Western Europe. Or that violence is systematically underreported in Thailand. These are just the facts, they are very easy to establish, they have been established and make with them what you will.

But we have been over that before, and the one thing that got me to post again on this subject was the hilarious argument about how Thailand is safe, provided you don't go to bars frequented by foreigners or do anything else (let's be honest) that most members do almost every chance they get when they are in Thailand. This was really funny.

OK, the member who made this argument is clearly embarassed now, and corrected me (like a school marm) pointing out that the board has grown up, so I guess no one here - except me (since I obviously haven't grown up) - goes to Nana plaza or that obscure part of Pattaya which lies west of Sukhumvit. :smirk:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, the member who made this argument is clearly embarassed now, and corrected me (like a school marm) pointing out that the board has grown up, so I guess no one here - except me (since I obviously haven't grown up) - goes to Nana plaza or that obscure part of Pattaya which lies west of Sukhumvit. :smirk:

Gaddy, obviously if you think you could embarrass me you are still in Peter Pan Mode, some of us do have a life outside this board and don't rely upon online debates as a pacemaker.

If you have a point to make, just say it!

I haven't checked, but the homocide rate probably is lower than Jamica, but there is no legitimate dispute that - except among the rose tinted glasses crowd - Thailand's homocide rate and the general level of violence is substantially higher than the US or Western Europe.

Well dude, I am stoned, but I'll share MY anecdotal evidence. Since of course that is all you have. So we are equal.

Living in the States over my years of adulthood (18+ years of age), I, or my immediately family (which is wife, kids or parents on both sides only), have had a) multiple larceny from vehicles, B) three cars stolen, c) house burgled twice, d) one home invasion, e) one armed robbery on the street, f) one shots fired at person, and g) one attempted rape. This covers Detroit area, Miami area and Las Vegas city.

Living in Asia over the past twenty years, that same group of folks have had basically one attempted rape (of #2 daughter in a tuk-tuk a few years back, but it turned out OK cuz she knew what to do). No monetary or property losses of any kind. This covers our life in all of Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan.

Sorry, your arguements are SHIT in my experience. And I have a lot of it. And yes (cannot speak for my family members, but) I am far less cautious in Asia than the States because far less shit makes me get into "fight-or-flight" mode (for whatever reason). Your personal experience?

Keep tilting at windmills. One day someone may write a book about you :grinyes:!

XOXOXOXO,

SD -- , so weak he cannot resist picking up the katana when he sees such an easy target...sorry :o .

Sudan's quote:

[color:red]"Living in the States over my years of adulthood (18+ years of age), I, or my immediately family (which is wife, kids or parents on both sides only), have had a) multiple larceny from vehicles, B) three cars stolen, c) house burgled twice, d) one home invasion, e) one armed robbery on the street, f) one shots fired at person, and g) one attempted rape. This covers Detroit area, Miami area and Las Vegas city.

Living in Asia over the past twenty years, that same group of folks have had basically one attempted rape (of #2 daughter in a tuk-tuk a few years back, but it turned out OK cuz she knew what to do). No monetary or property losses of any kind. This covers our life in all of Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan."[/color]

I think your data might be slanted a little bit.

You have made many references in other posts in that of having been part of a hood in the US. To me, a hood is just another name for a gang and gangs are one of the most violent groups in the US. If you were part of a gang, and doing what gang members do, I would expect a lot of violence would come your way.

Actually, the problems you have experienced in Thailand and the US, I would say are in harmony with what you have been saying all along.

Now in Thailand, I don't think you belong to a hood/gang so I would expect there would be less violence toward you and your family while in Thailand.

Sometimes I think if I had'nt married and just kept on partying in LOS I would have been fucked over by now. My problem is I'm adventurous and like to fight which prolly means one day I'd end up somewhere in the middle of nowhere getting a slapping cause I was due for it. Shit happens. But as someone else pointed out before the problem whith having a standup fight in a place like BK is the when your not standing up the fights not over! I Think anyone who keeps on going to town once someones down is a cunt but Thais dont give a rats arse. The cops are half the problem themselves, if they took simple assaults as a serious matter and more so the more violent end of assault like carrying arms, rapes and grievous harm with more seriousness then some of these guys may back off when the should. It almost seems they're getting away with it (they know it) so whats to stop them. Where I come from is really very safe and now all the love I have for the good side of LOS could never convince me to raise my daughter in Thailand. Bottom line, if the cops were less slack and the country was less corrupt then crims would become more the minority. FAT CHANCE. I love thailand but I love my daughter too much to raise her there. Sad really.

I think your data might be slanted a little bit.

You have made many references in other posts in that of having been part of a hood in the US. To me, a hood is just another name for a gang and gangs are one of the most violent groups in the US. If you were part of a gang, and doing what gang members do, I would expect a lot of violence would come your way.

Actually, the problems you have experienced in Thailand and the US, I would say are in harmony with what you have been saying all along.

Now in Thailand, I don't think you belong to a hood/gang so I would expect there would be less violence toward you and your family while in Thailand.

I don't think SD was referring to belonging to a "hood" as an adult, what he describes is living a middle class existence in the US and Asia (except China) today. I have to say my experience is similar to his both in the US and SEA.

That is not say Thailand is perfectly safe, it is not. I just donâ??t think it is the extremely dangerous place some people would make it out to be. If you read between the lines, the foreigners being attacked have virtually always put themselves in an environment they never would have in their home country, and as such have chosen an at-risk lifestyle.

TH

BangkokTraveler:"If you were part of a gang, and doing what gang members do, I would expect a lot of violence would come your way."

I am in complete agreement. Funny it's similar to what I was saying:

If you are part of criminal activity [prostitution], and participating in what criminals do [prostitutes and johns], I would expect a lot of trouble could come your way.

Doesn't that make sense? I mean if you frequent the lower echelons of a society there are some negative side effects, no?

Archived