Random Foreigners Being attacked by gangs

without being such a pretentious bore

You sound angry. You are missing a more fundamental point, but since you want to insist Khun O4â??s post is about Pattaya let me respond to that first.

He begins his list with: â??It doesn't take much reading of forums (including Stickman) to observe that almost all of the problems have at least one of the following ingredientsâ?¦â? and then lists those ingredients. He doesnâ??t say anything about his post being limited to Pattaya. In a list of many items he mentions the â??entire "red zone" of Pattaya qualifiesâ??, which means the other items must refer to other â??ingredientsâ?? or areas. Otherwise the rest of what he posted was redundant. In other words, the post is talking about Thailand generally. That is the relevant point, but if you want to be pedantic, I will admit I did mistake a colon for a semi colon on one point. Profuse apologies. But so what? That is not the point.

By pedantically focusing on a missing semicolon you are missing a more fundamental point that renders the whole post ridiculous and is really quite amusing. Let me explain it again since you seem to have missed it.

In a board devoted to Thailandâ??s nightlife areas, Khun O4 sayd everything is fine as long as you are not â??In or nearby a bar area frequented by foreignersâ?Â. No 'Pattaya only' qualification here, and even if there was (which there isnâ??t), does it really matter?

Any why is there so much personal rancor in your post? I was simply trying point out that a post saying Thailand is fine provided you stay away from bar areas frequented by foreigners on a website devoted to bar areas frequented by foreigners is more than a bit absurd.

That is the point. Why don't we stay on that point?

I personally think it is a bit pedantic to use words like "may I suggest", but since you started your post with those words, you presumably don't. So, may I suggest that we stick with the bigger poin and avoid the sniping? Deal?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly, I seriously dispute that Thailand is more dangerous than America. Lets only talk about Bangkok to keep things simple.

I think Bangkok is as safe as New York City. I feel Los Angeles is much more dangerous than Bangkok.

I regularly cruise around bangkok at night on my motorcycle. Getting lost is half the fun. Turning down small soi's, trying to zig zag my way back to a main road. I would never do this in parts of LA. I roam Bangkok with reckless abandon, I hope to see the whole city this way.

Some thai girls think I am crazy for this

I can understand why many visitors think this, but unfortunately the truth is otherwise.

You say "some thai girls think I am crazy for this..." - you might consider why they think it is crazy. Every middle class Thai I know - and I have pretty much only worked with middle class Thais for over 12 years now - would strongly disagree with your assessment.

But you're entitled to that belief, and I have come to accept that Farangs who have just arrived or visit here have a hard time accepting some of the rougher realities of Thailand. This doesn't change the truth, but it means I am going to spend less time setting the record straight.

Have fun riding your bike around Bangkok.

Khun... you just seem to forget one of the main interests of thailand is offering visitors endless possibilities fo hanging out drunk late at night with a prostitute, or two. I'm fairly sure having lunch in a five stars by the river is a safe activity in this wonderful Land of Smile, as must be a meditation session with monks. But people wonder if they're safe partying, or simply walking out in the wee hours.Please get back to the point.

Thank Buddha someone else recognizes this pretty obvious point.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it particularly irrelevant (and a bit amusing) that Khun 04 specifically stressed staying away from bar areas devoted to foreigners on website devoted to bars devoted to foreigners?

I am not picking on him specifically, since others here make similiar arguments: "Thailand is perfectly safe, provided you don't [do anything that has anything to do with the subject matter of this board]." And this from posters who write about some very good posts about wild nights they had out late at night in Bangkok.

Probably great people, I wish them the best and I am certainly not criticizing anyone for having fun or staying out late (I do many of the same things myself), but the extreme annoyance you see when anyone here even suggests that Thailand might be a tad violent suggests a high level of denial.

I made this point in another thread...about the fact that being a customer of a prostitute, and hanging out in prostitute littered areas raises your threat level. Several people responded incredulously that I would suggest such a thing.

Amazing if you ask me.

Is the fact that people are in denial about who and what they hang around / spend time with responsible for the rise of attacks?

I mean if a ladyboy approches you and then you tell her to fuck off and she gets up in your face, maybe even hits you in the head with her shoe, it's your fault. You can't pop off in someones face and expect them to be civil.

Should you surround yourself with prostitutes, bring them into your apartment or hotel, show them how you move around, the 'random' attack may not be that 'random'.

Perhaps we are in agreement but are stating things differently.

You say: 'It's dangerous'

I say: People are inviting danger into their life and are oblivious.

Come on, get real, this is so silly it's funny. And your expressing umbrage because somone I pointed this out? Chill out. ...[snip]... why don't you respond to the substance of what I posted. Or is that too hard?

pot - kettle - black.

Quote:

[color:red]"I mean if a ladyboy approches you and then you tell her to fuck off and she gets up in your face, maybe even hits you in the head with her shoe, it's your fault."[/color]

I am slightly confused why you would consider this situation your fault? Some lady boys operate in gangs with the sole purpose of pickpocketing. If a ladyboy approaches you, what do you do instead of telling her to get the hell away from you? Just curious as to what your reply will be.

[color:red]"I made this point in another thread...about the fact that being a customer of a prostitute, and hanging out in prostitute littered areas raises your threat level. Several people responded incredulously that I would suggest such a thing."[/color]

If you reread that other thread, you will see that you clouded the thread by your own specuation by subjecting your own theories as facts. This is what was objected.

:D _ Good fun on this Sunday morning in Bangkok, reading some comments here.

Gadfly's multiple posts are simply wrong as to my purpose.

The topic of this thread is foreigners being attacked.

My list of dangerous behaviors aims at the counterpoint of exactly that topic: How to avoid attack.

Gadfly twists that into criticism of the entire forum.

Also, on referring to "statistics", Gadfly provides neither statistics nor sources.

On forums such as this one, liberal use of the [color:purple]ignore user[/color] feature adds to my enjoyment of reading.

I won't mention any user by name, but I'm in the mood to add yet another one to my [color:purple]ignore user list[/color]._ :cool:

Now, on to something other than Gadfly, and back on topic. :smirk:

There is another aspect to this which is ... (ahem) ... a delicate matter.

That is race.

For a Caucasian man, many cities of the world -- including much of Los Angeles, Sydney, Toronto and London -- have become deadly dangerous.

So I must amend my conclusion:

Considering all the other benefits here, for a Caucasian man, Thailand is a lot safer than anywhere else I've ever been or can imagine.

The most concise, thinking on this thread so far, comes from buddha:

You say: [color:blue] 'It's dangerous'[/color].

I say: [color:red] People are inviting danger into their life and are oblivious.[/color]

While it is fun fishing for a rise outta Gaddie, it is soooo easy it has become boring for me now (so good luck guys, have fun!).

He has this quest to make sure everyone thinks this is a rotten place to be. Why does he have this quest? Who knows? Perhaps life is not working out so well and he wants someone/something to blame? Doubtful. The need for attention? I can relate to that, I like attention. Maybe. Likes to begin a debate from a losing position? It's a technique, so maybe. Any other guesses?

And a bigger question, if he *really* is so fearful of his adopted country, and he posts like he as terrified as springbok in the grasp of a lion, why is he still here? A long-time expat with his obvious intelligence and stated skills could work anywhere.

What's the real story? And who cares? Not me, just idly thinking out loud on a boring Sunday.

Regards,

SD

Archived