Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

O.k. So BKK/Thailand are seriously dangerous...now, who is going to stop going? NOT me. Not until I am broke or dead...for those who say it is seriously dangerous, stay home...maybe the cops will do something when they see dwindling money from tourists...

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gf is wel aware of violence threaths in LOS, although she is an Issaan village girl. She worked 14 years in Bangkok but went never out at night.

We now live on a mostly unknown beach 500km South of Bangkok.

One saturday night, driving home on a motorbike from dinner at a friends place a bunch of young men had agressive behaviour waiving sticks on the local beach road. Instinctively I slowed down to find a way to pass trough the group but the gf shouted I needed to accelerate, which I did. I just learned to listen to her advice in all Thai manners. I had no time to evaluate the situation, but the gfwas upset for hours and days to follow. She told me I had no clue how dangerous it is to cross the path of a group of drunken boys: DEADLY. I thought then she was over reacting,but she was not.

One year later we witnessed an attack of a group of "students" of a technical school hitting a young couple in the grass next to the road. I wanted to stop and help, but again the gf shouted at me to accelerate and to flee the scene. I mentionned this on this board provoking a hot debate. Anyway, she was right, violence is potentially everywhere in this country and is lethal, much more than in my home country where I never experienced life threatening situations. I believe the gf who says these drunkards are out to kill.

My Thai gf claims BKK is dangerous and she is a uni student. To her dangerous is women getting robbed and motobike guys fighting. She refuses to take a bus @ night.

She also is very concerned about my personal safety especially after I had a face to face confrontation with her ex-Thai boyfriend and threatened to royally kick his ass 2 weeks ago. The fucking guy was stalking her and I caught him unawares at this spot we were hanging out at. The guy was a fucking pussy without any of his "friends" around and he talked his way out of an ass whooping by me. I just wanted to scare him a little since I am too old for fighting and would rather pay someone to do it. My gf is so worried about repurcussions that last week she changed her apartment to one of those serviced apt places with security guards, keycards and video cameras.

Yes BKK is dangerous as is any other place if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

>>The guy was a fucking pussy without any of his "friends" around and he talked his way out of an ass whooping by me. <<

Your girl is right. That thai guy might make some fireworks go off on the farang. U better be careful over there for real.

Stickman surprises me--I thought he had a little more in the way of brains

----------------------------

why say something like that?

I don't read Stick's column, but i am sure his point was that thailand is not what it used to be 15 or even 10 years ago, as far as incidence of farangs being assaulted, so readers who come with the idea of Thailand, the Land of smiles, just be careful and aware of your surroundings. I think most thais will agree with him. Thailand has never be a non-vilent place, but petty theft can be now more than ever preceded by violence, not to mention wanton violence, on the rise, no contest.

JJ,

I'd be really careful, you made him liose face, he may want revenge, and might have his friends next time. If he can't get you, he might get your girl friend, who it seems is who he really wants...sure you could pay someone, but then eh can still get you, or his friends can, or get her...family/friends honor, real grease ball shit...btw, some of these "little Thai guys" can reall kick ass, and or use a knife, be careful, and don't take anything for granted...I seriously doubt I'd swing on a Thai unless I absolutley had to...they are famous for rat packs and revenge...

What are the reasons for the increase of violence?

That is the important question.

Firstly I think that Thailand has always been a violent place.

The government and police and military are never shy in dealing out the ultimate violence, that is killing.

Thus the country itself has a culture of violence which is set from the very top of society.

Let's not forget that Thailand for much of its recent past was a military dictatorship.

The national Thai sport Muay Thai is a reflection of that culture of violence as are many Thai movies.

So what has changed to increase the level of violence in an already violent society?

Socially we have in LOS a growing disenfranched underclass who have little chance of any upward mobility and who are barely surviving on a subsistence level. Yet at the same time there has been marked economic changes in LOS over the last decade or so where all the consumer goodies and lifestyles are now available as in the west yet many are completely cut off from ever enjoying these benefits.

Let's also throw alcohol and yaba usage into the equation along with frustration, lack of hope, and of course a culture of violence and we have a powerful cocktail. A cocktail that seems to be exploding more often in violent attacks than in the past.

Hi!

Although Stockholm is probably not as dangerous as large American cities there is still quite a lot of violence on the streets. I live in what is statiscially one of the most crime ridden areas of the inner city. I have lived there for 20+ years and sometimes go home drunk late at night. Not once have been attacked. Statistics are one thing, reality is something else.

regards

ALHOLK

pattaya127 said: readers who come with the idea of Thailand, the Land of smiles, just be careful and aware of your surroundings. Thailand has never be a non-vilent place, but petty theft can be now more than ever preceded by violence, not to mention wanton violence, on the rise, no contest.

Right.

People who land at Don Muang thinking they arrive in a carefree sex-paradise are deadly wrong. As Zorro pointed, poverty, inborn violence, prostitution and drugs have never made a good blend.

"Stickman surprises me--I thought he had a little more in the way of brains...maybe he just wasn't thinking."

It is a proven fact that I am stupid, I admit it, so with that aside and 'fessed, let me care to explain.

EVERYONE knows that there is violence and problems in every city in the world. In this particular article I listed a few particular cases where farangs have been victims because I wanted to make the point that farangs ARE victims of nasty crimes in Thailand. The crime rate is increasing - the Thai police department statistics online show this. (I would display the link but you're obviously bright enough to find it yourself).

And yes, I am stupid - so let's not debate it this time.

Stick

Archived