Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

"And because you forgot to turn off your caps lock you must obviously be correct."

Totally right.......

@paillote

"A good indication of the level of violence in a society is how the media covers the cases"

Although I agree with the ramining part of your post I must say that you are not totally right on this point.

IMHO (that was my area of study) the way the media cover the cases of violence in a country depends on the following factors:

- The actuality of the day, the "gate-keeper" people dictate what will the newspaper/media composed of in regards to the the "material" of the day.

If 3 bombs exploded in **** and 2 supertanker collided elsewhere then the criminal activity reports will not get a big coverage.

- The general politic of the newspaper/media, some media specialize into criminal events, some don't.

- the cultural/political pressures inside this society.

One exemple:

one of the "criminal records" found in stickman's weekly.

In the main thai newspapers (english as I do not read thai enough to read a newspaper), nothing was said about this attack on a foreigner, though there was an ample coverage of another crime but between thais.

In the english/french/belgian newspapers this attack was reported and in at least 2 of them it was on the first page.....

Finally

violence is everywhere, Bangkok is not the perfectly safe punter paradise but

I still feel safer walking in BKK than in my hometown.

(and we are far far away in the criminal stats from bogota or washington DC)

My 2 satangs

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that you never even read Stickmans article.

He provided ample evidence something which you have patently not done.

He even mentioned an online link backing up an increase in crime.

The police themselves seem to think there is an incease and told him just as much and many Thai people are also saying the same thing.

Now where is your evidence be it anecdotal or statistical to say there has been no incease?

Your silence is deafening.

I suppose unless you are attacked yourself then you will stick to your ostrich in the sand viewpoint.

Your shouting via the caps lock function only further serves to underline the paucity of your arguments.

june11 said:RIGHT. THERE SHOULD BE NO DISCUSSION OR ANALYSIS. WHAT WE SHOULD DO IS JUST IMMEDIATELY COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT CRIME RATES ARE INCREASING BASED ON THE STORIES THAT WE HEAR ABOUT.

The only one coming to "immediate conclusions" of any kind seems to be you.

In this kind of environment providing poor, unreliable data or no data at all, all Stickman has done is offering his own evaluation of the situation. He has backed his estimate by the rise of reports he is getting from his network of relatives/friends/acquaintances/sources. Amongst them there seems to be also police officers who lately have apparently had to deal with skyrocketing numbers of crimes.

This doesn't give us a scientific answer to the question of "is violence in Thailand on the rise?" but is still a much better evaluation than those offered by those "wannabe part-time expats" who cluelessly give the thumbs up to the gang of motorcycle-taxi drivers smiling telling them how they would like to piss in their mouth or telling their rented GFs how they would be better off fucking a soi dog instead.

In my time in Thailand I realized how strikingly different was, on average, the perception of Thailand and Thais of long time expats really immersed in Thai society (or better said in a representative subset of it) with a solid network of Thai relatives/friends/acquaintances/sources and "true" understanding of the language (I mean the kind of proficency that actually gives you a clue of what the fuck is going on around you NOT the kind of Thai that lets you deal with people willing to listen and understand you) as opposed to the one of farangs occasionally visiting or even living there but incapsulated in their farang ghettos/lifestyles AND/OR effectively insulated from "everyday life" Thai society by a barrier of "interested" Thais and whose Thai (if any) is at best the one which lets you turn on the TV or the radio and understand not more than the general matter of discussion and the occasional whole sentence.

Is it really any wonder that people who totally unknowingly get happily themselves into any kind of trouble with women whom the average Thai would recognize from a mile for what they are and wouldn't touch with a stick or handle in a total different way feel safer in (the tourist spots of) Bangkok than in their home countries where they can much more easily recognize any "hint" of danger?

RIGHT. EVERYTHING IS TOTALLY MEANINGLESS, AND IN FACT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT WE EVEN EXIST AT ALL SEE BISHOP GEORGE BERKELEY, PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE, PUBLISHED IN 1685 AND AVAILABLE IN MOST BOOKSTORES IN ISAN).

p.s. BY THE WAY, YOU MISSED PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING I WROTE IN MY PREVIOUS POST. EVEN THE DEFINITION OF A CRIME RATE, AS SHOWN BY WHAT YOU SAY ABOVE REGARDING HEARING ABOUT CHANGES IN CRIME RATES FROM YOUR FRIEND, ETC.....YET THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. A CRIME RATE REQUIRES A NUMERATOR AND DENOMINATOR TO BE CONSTRUCTED....THEY CAN ONLY TELL YOU THE PERCEIVED NUMERATOR, NEVER THE DENOMINATOR. BUT I'M DISOBEYING THE PRINCIPLE HERE......OH YES, RIGHT, NO DISCUSSION OR ANALYSIS SHOULD BE UNDERTAKEN, WHATSOEVER. AND YES, ALL EXPERIENCE IS TOTALLY MEANINGLESS....IN FACT, WE DON'T EXIST.

Take back home your out of place sarcasm, if you actually had a clue about statistical analysis you would know that if I had a (relatively to the intended purposes) stable and significant number of relatives/friends/acquaintances and amongst this subset of the whole of the society that we are studying there is over time a significant increase of the number of the crimes reported/experienced I can safely say that the crime rate HAS raised for what my social circle and the environment in which I live are concerned. To make it scientifically acceptable (and to quantify the raise with a more sicentifically acceptable approximation) I have just to properly collect the data!

The real funny thing, june11, is that if my sample of network of relatives/friends/acquaintances meets the basic requirements of the "minimum significant number" (which strictly speaking is just a convention, doesn't exist and is just a function of the targeted grade of approximation) and of being evenly distributed compared to correspondent Thai whole society's officially accepted average age, gender, geographical distribution, social classes, census etc etc etc what I have is by all means and purposes a proper freaking statistic...

p.s. BUT YOU MISSED A MORE FUNDAMENTAL ASPECT OF MY POST. BUT I'LL ONLY GIVE YOU A HINT HERE BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE TO WASTE TIME HERE. STICKMAN NEVER MENTIONED ANY LACK OF DATA.

And you missed an even more fundamental fact, he has clearly hinted at those data and invited you to do your own homework as he has done.

But since you don't like to waste your precious time getting facts to back up your groundless arguments and offensive mockings of others' opinions here is a start for you and your craving for official statistics: http://www.police.go.th/trenglish.htm.

I have already offered my considerations on the numbers and analysis provided by official Thai institutions but here they are nonetheless and funnily enough EVEN they seem to show a substantial increase in crime rates in the Land of Smiles...

All

Dont forget that one of our board members got the shit knocked out of him with a bat/board last year in sleepy little Bahn Pe. Compared to small city Canada where we dont lock our doors, Thailand is very rough. There is a reason why everyone has triple lock security doors on every BKK house and gated walls. Dont elude yourself in your drunken stupper that a place with such a difference in incomes is safe.

What I find so surprising is that some people take such umbrage at Stickman for giving examples of troubling violence in Bangkok that they refuse to discuss the issue rationally, and instead, resort to pejorative terms (describing Stickman as ?stupid" - what is that all about?) and irrelevant comparisons.

I have lived here for over 10 years, and I don't think I know any Thais or long-term ex-pats who would disagree with most of what Stickman said in Sunday's report on violence here. I also think the problem has become noticeably worse over the last few years, in large part because of some very foolish policies on the part of the current government.

People who visit here may have the luxury of viewing Bangkok through rose tinted lenses, but not those who live here long time do not.

"People who visit here may have the luxury of viewing Bangkok through rose tinted lenses, but not those who live here long time do not. "

Thailand is vunderbar but its better with them damn glasses...now where are my rose colred glasses damn it all?

I guess I lost them a few heart aches/years/decades ago... :: :: :)

What I find so surprising is that some people take such umbrage at Stickman for giving examples of troubling violence in Bangkok that they refuse to discuss the issue rationally, and instead, resort to pejorative terms (describing Stickman as ?stupid" - what is that all about?)

VERY AMUSING, HOW YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND EVEN THE BASIC USE OF QUOTES. BUT I'LL TELL YOU. WHEN YOU USE QUOTATION MARKS, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO ACTUALLY INSERT WHAT THE OTHER PERSON SAID. NOW, TRY AGAIN AND TRY TO QUOTE A FULL SENTENCE THIS TIME.

and irrelevant comparisons

AND OF COURSE, YOU CAN'T CITE ONE.

Why don't you stop patronizing people here, and antagonizing us for the sake of it. It's not that we cannot take it, it's just you are a real bore at this point, and childishly argumentative.

Also, you may have anger problems, but no need to scream, we can read you fine in normal letters.

Archived