Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

@june11

Please STOP USING CAPS LETTERS

:cussing:

You certainly can disagree with stickman so

- Stop reading his website if it is bulls*** for you.

- If you disagree with someone do not become aggresive.

- Being polite is not difficult........especially in thailand

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who object to Stickman's article, I think you should pick up a paper printed 5 years ago and compare it to the papers printed now in Bangkok. Just about every day somebody gets murdered, sometimes by having their head cut off with a machette in Thailand. Sometimes it gets the front page. Recently a bomb was detonated in a Thai airport. Just a few years ago, one terrorist was arrested who had plans to shoot down planes coming and going from Bangkok. The police announced just recently that a large number of places in Bangkok are now being monitored by the police for terrorist activities.

I would say that when you read a paper of five years ago and compare it with a paper printed today, it appears that Thailand is having difficult times and that tourist should take GREATER caution then they have done in the past. I still feel safer in Thailand then in most other places but I do tell people to take greater caution.

What I have a hard time understanding is why some believe nothing has changed. For those who feel this way, what do use as indicators. I even suspect some might actually believe things are getting better.

I'm with you on this one. Jigman argument (Thai police rates) is just absurd. As you said, the biggest occurence of violent crime in BKK, as in ANY other third world country city, is not due to muggings or even homocides. It is all forms of bodily damage NOT linked to theft. These are wife beatings, bar room brawls, neighbors going at each other, pit boys attacking people they don't like, etc.

Plus, for the acts of 'violence against properties without physical violence', I personnaly certainly won't cry over the "violence" of losing 50 reals (speaking about Brasil) at knife point to a teenager who's slowly starving to death.

What do people expect ?

When the economic situation has worsened over the years, folks can't find work and when even if they do, it doesn't pay, then somethings got to give. People are not just going to die quietly just because they are economically obsolete.

Is that 'violence' ?

:dunno:

june11

I rarely post, but you really are not adding anything constructive to this discussion. I (whether right or wrong) have the impression that you have a bit of time on your hands (GF outta town?) and just feel like starting a wee bit of commotion. I really think that you should play nice.

TheLastEuropean

Prosal said:I'm with you on this one. Jigman argument (Thai police rates) is just absurd. As you can said, the biggest occurence of violent crime in BKK is not due to muggings or even homocides. It is all forms of bodily damage NOT linked to theft. These are wife beatings, bar room brawls, neighbors going at each other, pit boys attacking people they don't like, etc.

I don't see the absurdness since in those police reports you will find ALSO what you call "forms of bodily damage NOT linked to theft".

Of course crimes in Thailand (and particularly the kinds of crime you talk about) are MASSIVELY underreported for the reasons given in this very thread but I can't see on what bases you can agree with june11 and on what exactly you agree with him seeing what you have just written...

When folks can't find work and when even if they do, it doesn't pay, somethings got to give. People are not just going to die quietly just because they are economically obsolete.

Is that 'violence ' ? :dunno:

Of course, no.

And what is the problem if in the process of stealing you a couple of hundred baht because "they have to feed themselves" (they go straight to the grocery store of course) you lose an eyeball or they cut you a couple of nerves or tendons or crack a couple of your vertebras putting you on a wheelchair for a while or for a bit longer than that (forever) or if they disfigure you or your wife or your daughter...

There is absolutely not the slightest tiny little bit of violence in all of that, as everybody can clearly see.

khwaimaisabai said:

Hi daddy,

And another thing - which has been mentioned already but not picked up. An amazingly large number of people out there on the streets are carrying guns.

And those who don't carry guns are likely carrying razors/knives/blades in their pockets and purses and/or bats and machetes in their cars or more likely a combination of all of that...

And practically all of them are doing so ILLEGALLY (Thai laws are rather strict in this regard, the enforcement of those laws is, as usual, crappy at best).

As you say, this is one of those "small details" always ignored by the happy blind believers crowd, the self-delusional dreamers whose only argument seems to be "shut up and take it all exactly as it comes and be grateful for whatever you get from the Thais (be it a smile or a stabbing in the back) or else stay home in Detroit/San Francisco/Stockholm/wherever" :)

Okay given that most posters here believe violence has escalated over the last few years what is the prognosis for the future?

Will things get worse?

What can the government do to halt this disturbing trend?

Will tourism be adversely affected by current trends?

Will tourism be adversely affected by current trends?

-------------------------------

I doubt it. the vast number of tourists is hardly staying in big metropolis like BKK and there or anywhere else rarely outside of normal tourist sights, including nightlife. So i do not think any of us are really affected by the raise in violence, truly.

Pattaya does have its seasonal hike in muggings every other year, but often the police can trace it to a specific gang, and crack down. Nothing new there.

Disasters like the tsunami are another thing, causing much more damage to the tourist trade, IMO.

Archived