0% deposits for Farang Accounts?

Mentors

whosyourdaddy said:

Thought this has been the case since at least 2000. Nothing new there.

Yes right, i checked it again, Fixed Deposits getting still small amounts 0,5 - 1%.

Good that i just have Fixes ones. Anyway, here in the home country i become

also a laughable rate with them i can buy only a lousy warm soup per year.

(Remember the early 90s, when i would give 1 Mio Bath to the Bkk Bank, they would give me 14%.) :spin:

I've read about the no-interest problem for a few years, yet I've been getting interest on my accounts at Bangkok bank and Thai Military. At Thai Military, I noted that no interest was posted and spoke with the gal I usually see and she rectified the situation. A BKK bank, I've never asked, yet it's posted every 6-months (or maybe annually, I don't recall). But, the interest is minimal...and I don't have a million in the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai banks are paying crap interest these days, generally 1% or even less. Doesn't even keep up with inflation.

Before the '97 crash, banks were paying as much as 5%. Then it dropped to 3% and now to next to nothing. A friend was living well on his 10% fixed deposits for years. (He had about 9 million baht in them!) Nowadays he says about the best he can get on a 3 month deposit is 1.5%. He has actually had to go back to work!

::

<< No problem if you have a work permit. >>

Out of curiousity, I wonder what happens to people here on a retirement visa. Can they get interest? Be rather crappy if the government tells someone they have to bring over a lot of money, but can get no interest and have to pay to keep it here. (Some banks charge to open an account!)

Archived