SIM card in Cambodia...

Old Hippie

It's not like Thailand where SIM cards are available to anyone. In Cambodia you need ID papers, etc. There might be some way around it but I think it will always involve a local to actually buy it for you.

Step into Cafe California 2 on the riverfront and ask the staff over a beer, I'm sure they can help, I heard some talk about getting a sim from the russian market, but I'm not sure as I wasn't paying attention.

Sim cards are $10 - $30 depending on the number (different networks) They don't expire as long as you put $5 on them at least every 3 months. Refills are same as elsewhere available in $5, 10 & 20 dollar amounts.

WARNING! most numbers here are a 3 digit network number plus 6 digit phone number. Some new cards on the 012 network have a 7 digit number...... so you can phone out, BUT only 7 digit numbers can call you !!!!! If a 6 digit phone tries to call you, it starts dailing after the 6th digit so it never gets to enter all the numbers...... a SERIOUS PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

Old Hippie said:

Hi,Can I get a SIM for my mobile in Cambodia? How much? where? etc...really getting excited about this!-Thanks

***There are two ways to obtain a SIM card for use in Cambo:

Regulations require SIM cards be in the name of a Cambodian, with one exception, so the alternatives are as follows:

1-Pay a moto driver, the desk clerk, etc to get a SIM card for you. Often the driver, etc. will charge $5-10 to get a card for you, in their name. The card will cost about $5 or $10 (as I recall) depending on the amount of time on the card. The card will be valid for about 90-days. Problem here is that once the time runs out, _you_ cannot renew/add time to the card. If you need to add time...you'll just have to repeat the process and get another card using a moto dop, etc....but you'll also have a different phone number for the new SIM card.

2-If you obtain a Business Visa ($25), rather than the standard tourist visa ($20), then you can go to one of the phone companies and get a SIM card in your name. You'll need to show your PPort with the Business Visa. The SIM card costs $5-10 (or more) depending on the amount of time you want. Usually time on the card is valid for about 90-days or more depending on the amount of time purchased. I suggest using "SAMART" Communications, which is located on Norodom, opposite the Japanese Embassy...and get their "HELLO" card. The advantage of getting the card in your own name is that you won't need to bribe a moto-dop...and most important is that if the card/time expires, you can renew the card and retain the number on a subsequent visit to Cambo by again visiting the phone company. You won't need to have obtained another Business visa upon re-entering Cambo (as I recall), in order to re-activate your number and purchase more time.

Also, note LaoHuli's post above...though I did err and get a 7-digit (012) number and the only benefit is that 'Frank' can't call me ::

NOPE! You're confused here.

What you are talking about has to do with purchasing airtime..... and confusing it with the physical SIM card to put in your phone.

While many will charge you to do this, my people don't. The cheapest SIM card is the 7 digit 012 @ $10 the priciest is the 6 digit 012 (most used network) @ $30. The airtime is in addition to this.

Should you wish to do it on your own you sill need your business visa, bank account details and proof of residence. Lots of luck to save a couple of $$. And it will still expire if you don't put any airtime on it for 90 days.

LaoHuLi,

Well, maybe I'm not as confused as you might think. Last May I decided to get a SIM card in my name; I didn't want to hassle with obtaining another non-renewable SIM card in a Cambodian's name. I went to Samat (as mentioned in my post) and they needed to see _only_ my passport with the business visa. I opted for the 7-digit 012 card. I vaguely recall it was $5 for the SIM card and I did pay $10 for airtime, which included an additional $5 in 'bonus airtime'. The later bonus airtime was valid only for 30-days, which the rest was good for 90-days.

It took me about 15-minutes, at most, to get eveything accomplished at SAMAT. I will be returning to Cambo, before high season, and recharge my physical SIM card.

I'll also visit Flamingos again, just to hassle you and buy you another beer. And, maybe your staff will again cancel my reservation, as I had arrived late from Snooky ;-). For those that haven't stayed at Flamingos (in PPenh), it's the newest place in town, decent rooms & food at reasonable prices and a really helpful staff.

LaoHuLi said:

NOPE! You're confused here.

What you are talking about has to do with purchasing airtime..... and confusing it with the physical SIM card to put in your phone.

While many will charge you to do this, my people don't. The cheapest SIM card is the 7 digit 012 @ $10 the priciest is the 6 digit 012 (most used network) @ $30. The airtime is in addition to this.

Should you wish to do it on your own you sill need your business visa, bank account details and proof of residence. Lots of luck to save a couple of $$. And it will still expire if you don't put any airtime on it for 90 days.

Archived