wangus

I am a 49 year old Canadian Chinese coming for the first time. Brought up in canada do not speak a word of chinese.

Any problems with the bars in nana or soi cowboy.

By the way great site

One more thing looking at the landmark or can some one recommed a hotel near nana. Landmark quoted me a price of 80US would like to be around the 60 range.

Thanks in advance for the advice ::

Welcome aboard!

Hotels a bit too pricey for my range, so can't help........

As a white "Native" European I am perfectly equipped to answer the question about how a Chinese Canadian would get on in Thailand :D

I would not think you would have any greater problems overall than anyone else - to a degree their will be plusses and minuses

I guess the biggest "problem" would probably be boredom from explaining to BG's over and over again that you are in fact Canadian and not American :D, but everyone gets bored shitless of having the same "where you come from" conversation anyway - but that's one of the reaons why many folk like to have their regular bars (and even gals). Inany event you will very soon get known (just like everyone else does), based on your actions and get treated accordingly.

Maybe initially some may think you are from China (and therefore have no money), some may think (hope!) you are japanese, whilst others may think you are some sort of local and maybe rich (or maybe even plod) - but once you start talking they will quickly realise you are not a local - and the word will soon get around the bar - just one more Farang Punter.

If you get any problems convincing them you are not from China, just act like you are an American :D :D

Most BG's just see blokes as potential customers, not as Chinese or Canadian (or me as a Brit).

BTW Don't take any comments about Races and colours from the Thais to hearty most of them (especially the BG's) are purely based on freindly ignorance rather than anything inherently "racist" in the European, let alone the American sense of the word.

pluses I guess would be not automatically standing out in the crowd (especially in the non P4P world) as one more idiot Farang / walking cash machine............ until I guess you open your mouth :D

Remember to post a trip report - you are not the first (and won't be the last) non white European to have similar concerns.

Finally it has just occurred tome that I have answered your question from the angle of the Locals / BG's and have ignored how the other farang might act - which may well tell you it is not something that I have ever seen being a problem (probably because it is a no-competion situation and we ALL have two things in common, f#cking pussy and being foreigners in Thailand - so any attitudes get left at home) - probably however when sitting in a bar the onus will be on you a bit more than me to let other Farang know you are not a Thai cop! ..........just opening your mouth should do the trick - or NOT if you want some fun :D

Archived