anatomy questions (serious)

tb3000_us

Two questions about girls' anatomy:

1- Some girls have this thin distinct dark line (the skin is slightly darker) between their belly button and down into their pubic region. Do you know what this is? Is it something that develops when a girl is pregnant or some other condition?

2- Some girls have a 1-2 wide inch horizontal scar just about the same height of their belt line. It's very faint but curious if you know what it may be. I usually see it on their right side. What is that?

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: tb3000_us ]

Hi,

I wil admit that my attention has been draw to the area below the girls' navel on several occasions, however I have never noticed the mark you speak of in you first question.

As to the second I would normally assume this to be a scar left following removal of the appendix, though I must add that I am not a qualified medical type of any sort and may be way off the mark.

I'd say the first is the scar from a Ceasarian section, which is performed more often in Thailand than is really necessary. Guess why? The hospitals want to make more money!

I'm not sure about the second; it could be the scar from an appendix removal (if it's on the right side) but these operations are much less common than in the West. cool.gif" border="0

BOTH GOOD GUESSES ... but both wrong ...

The dark line going from umbilicus (navel) toward mons pubis (pubic mound) is called linea negra and develops during pregnancy. Depending on ethnicity and skin tone, it may disappear all-together or not fade at all. Now if you need to know why it develops, I'll have to go back to the books as OB/GYN rotation was a LONG time ago.

The horizontal 12-15cm (3-5") scar is a C-section scar. You'd be amazed at what a small incision is needed to extract a baby, and given most Thai's are small in stature, it follows that their babies are smaller as well (by western standards). This answer assumes the scar is centered midline on the body. It's called a bikini_line incision as most bikini's will cover it up.

An appendix scar is located on the Right Lower Quadrant of the abdomen. Feel for your hip bone and move an inch or so (depending on your girth) towards the navel. This scar (in the US, anyway) is usually about 3-4cm in size these days.

Have you noticed, there a Health Forum for such questions?

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

Women have all sorts of plumbing around their lower abdomen - everything we have (bowels, etc), plus the reproductive organs: fallopian tubes, uterus, ovaries.

Things can happen with any of these things that might warrant surgery. Some possibilities include appendicitis, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis, ovarian torsion, diverticulitis, and of course pregnancy.

Appendectomy incision is usually on the lower abdomen on right side of the body, in a NW-SE direction.

C-section can be either horizontal across about where the topline of a bikini would be or vertical along the midline.

Midline incisions are also the usual for many types of abdominal surgery.

One thing you might consider is just asking your friend why they have a scar.

Cheers,

Scuba

Reply to Sumbaggio....

quote:

Ceasarian section, which is performed more often in Thailand than is really necessary. Guess why? The hospitals want to make more money!

Thats what they do in Russia, the Land of the 6 foot Barbies...keeps the pussy tighter

Without being picky, while a fairly competent western Surgeon (or western trained) might get away with an incision of 2 to 3 inches, an upcountry thai doctor probably has more in common with a western butcher than a surgeon. Most C-sections on Thai women are *much* bigger than that...

The horizontal 2-3 inch (12-15cm) scar is a C-section scar. You'd be amazed at what a small incision is needed to extract a baby,

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: josh_ingu ]

Some informative and educational responses! I've noticed and wondered about the vertical navel to puss line myself and you guys have done good job of explaining.

If boss wants to know what I'm doing reading board doing work, I'll explain value of gynecological research!!

Archived