Holiday From Hell

INTJ

Rick,

Yeah, that's the sad truth of it really. Boston and New York (east coast) women are about the same as the OP's experience. Smiles are not usually returned, and the attitudes are especially cold and nasty aren't they? Maybe she was just showing him the only thing that gets her off and is likely to put up with her bullshit ... her finger. I do hate women like that. So unfeminine, and truly uncalled for behaviour. Jeezus, an admiring look and a smile and these western women behave as though you're a serial rapist and weirdo.

The differences between there and here are really pronounced.

While I do like to go back to the states every few months and see family and friends, I too want to leave after a couple weeks there in the states. Especially when the weather is shit! ::

There are trade-offs, but I like it here in Thailand much better, and can usually find what I need and desire with a bit of searching around in the LOS or SEA. It's good to get away for a few weeks every 5 months for a break and a recharge. Usually it just confirms my desire to live in Thailand long term though. I do find life here much more relaxing and less stressful than in the states. Although if I had to live and work in a large metropolis like Bangkok with its smog, traffic congestion, and fast-paced big city life I may not enjoy it as much. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Much like the west itself.

All in all though I am quite content here in Surin. With the occasional visit to Bangkok or elsewhere in the area, and a couple trips a year to the states I find it is a nice blend.

Cent

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and Thailand is not and will never be my real home.

---------------------------------------------

better than that. it's home in your heart. Sounds trite and corny, but from repeat sex tourists to pig-raising farang in Udon, it's the unmistakable common ground, I'd say.

I believe Thailand has always been a blessed place on earth, aura wise and i think some of the thai chauvinism is as much from the realization of that, as from thenationalistic reasons learnt early from school, if not more. It's in the air, and once you picked it, it's under your skin, forever.

Just traveling in absolutely fascinating countries in the region, still when you pass the border or land by plane, the feeling is "home again!". There is a sense of possibilities arising from being there, unconnected to striving or working towards something (as in a career, a goal), but simply for being alive and feeling good, and in tune with yourself.

Parallel universe almost. The best is achieved when you are rid of the former parallel life, which was not quite you, really, despite what your passport says. Personally, i achieved that, even staying in the USA, which already was a promised land to me, being born in France. So I had some practice.... Thailand is just the cherry on the cake, maybe! :)

Well, something like that.....

This is a reply I wrote on a similar thread a while back?

I moved to Japan in 2001. I am asked many questions but the one I do not have an easy answer for is ?When are you going to move back to the States??. I simply do not know. If I were forced to leave Japan I hope my next stop would be somewhere in Asia ? particularly China. It?s not that I dislike the West, it?s just so many little things add up to make Asia a better place for me in almost every aspect. And, quite frankly, I am more attracted to Asian women and their outlook on life. These days I am more comfortable being a ?visitor? to my home country. In a weird twist, I enjoy showing Westerners the sites and lifestyle of Asia more than I do showing Asian friends what the States have to offer. I don?t know what that means just a random thought I find interesting.

Different folks adjust in different ways, reading through this thread confirms that. But it seems like a lot of guys fall into the category that they like residing in Asia but make the most of their ability to have a connection with the West, enjoying the positives their former homelands have to offer. Particularly when visiting. I know that is how I view my situation.

But I also know well of the disgust you felt when that twat gave you the finger or after the driving incident. The last time I was in my homeland, while heading home from the airport, my taxi was almost broadsided by a complete idiot who decided to exit the highway from three lanes over. Then, later on in the day - this time with me at the wheel - I found myself in an intense shouting match with another driver who basically was wrong, rude and initiated barking at me. Who needs that shit? Not I. I experienced more angst in my first 12 hours back than I did in all my years in Japan? fuck that.

Guest lazyphil

Theres good and bad in both los and falangland, but i find more pluses here, i cant base life choices of where to reside because of prettyness of women around me, or because a few idiots give me the finger when driving...mai pen rai :).....oh and to the poster who said uk is sterile should walk around the pubs/streets on a sunday morning, and look in shop doorways and will see strong evidence its not sterile at all ::

I couldn't agree more. I live in the US but your comparison describes how I feel once I return from Thailand on vaca...It's like going from surround-sound large screen plasma HDTV, to mono black and white...I absolutely HATE living here now, and would give my left nut to live in Thailand. My problem is that I have no money to move with, though It has been my singular goal to generate and save enough to sometime move there...

On a philosophical note, I constantly wonder if experiencing Thailand is a curse or blessing. Sometimes I think I would have been happier not knowing Thailand and living oblivious to that type of life? I donno...Double edged sword I guess... ::

It's funny, people always ask me why I always look depressed after getting back from vacation...

I have to agree with you, even not knowing England. What I remark here, is that it is basically the english speaking nationals (US and GB) who need apparently to express on and on, how drab is life back home.

Even if some other euros have a same feeling, or aussie maybe, there is not as much crying about it. Now, it could be that we are an english speaking board to explain it, but I find the outlook on one's country, and on women, altogether, quite different between brits, US (:() and other countries, from Thailand lovers.

I think what my good friend SiamIam is saying:

( "Sometimes I think I would have been happier not knowing Thailand and living oblivious to that type of life? I donno...Double edged sword I guess...")

seems to show there is some kind of dumbfoundedness at discovering how life can be fun, maybe wondering it needs so authorization, some self-censoring, if only in thought, just a dream one needs to shake to get back guiltily in the home fold

.You will never hear that from a frenchman, for example.

And it is true, that as far as Pattaya is concerned, the english I know there seem to have started to live the day they landed on LOS soil. Just an impression, I guess, but it seems so often confirmed around here.

Anyway, I love San Francisco, it's a great city, at some point, retired, I plan to be in Thailand AND France. But I have no bridges to burn anywhere.

LP,

If ever there is a post on this subject, or along these lines you are the one defending this shit-hole. I wonder deep down if you can possibly mean it.

I understand it must be very difficult for you living here with a Thai wife, and you must keep positive and "look on the bright side of life" in order to keep going. I would imagine most of your concerns are financial, ie. cannot afford to live in Thailand (as I couldn't for 10 years).

If you won the lottery would you stay here ?

For me, each day spent here creates a greater deeper void. Walking through the city centre looking at the peoples grey faces, the grey skies. If I wasn't out of here in 4 days a serious depression would kick in.

"I cant base life choices of where to reside because of prettyness of women around me"

I never said that was the main reason, but it is a consideration. As is tom yam goong for 80 baht, taxi meter starting at 35 baht, singhas 40 baht, fuel 25 baht a litre, the smells of Gai Yang on the street, riding my motorbike along the seafront with no helmet in a morning and feeling the sun on my face, renting the latest films for 30 baht, looking at uni girls need I go on ?

"oh and to the poster who said uk is sterile should walk around the pubs/streets on a sunday morning, and look in shop doorways and will see strong evidence its not sterile at all"

yes exactly what I mean, another reason to love this great country, shop doorways stinking of piss ::

Also, someone said "after a while Thailand gets boring" -

as my old Gran used to say, God rest her soul "Only boring people get bored".

Best Regards,

INTJ

Archived