Holiday From Hell

INTJ

Guest lazyphil

Going to Malvern in two weeks to stay at our friends, hes a zoology professor (old customers/friends of mine from my postie days) who worked in los and laos with his falang mrs, the contract ended and he had to go back to uk, they seem over the thai blues now settled in worcestershire....looking forward to his homemade wine :drunk: and they my mrs thai nosh, now how do i get from cambridge to malven avoiding birmingham ::

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malvern in Worcestershire?

Home of the famed water, Worcester sauce, Morgan sportscars and Elgar. Happy days.

I'd just head straight left till you get to the M40 near Evesham/Aylesbury and then follow the signs. ( Was round that way recently. Managed to wangle a few hours in Oxford on way back from London the other week. Great pubs where Tolkien used to hang out: The Lamb & Flag, Eagle & Child.)

LG-

An eloquent post. Superbly spoken thoughts. Just one more reason amongst many to make us sorry you went.

On a quick note...here's an example of why I don't live in the States right now. Too much of this crap going on regularly.

Doctor in trouble for calling patient obese

N.H. woman filed complaint; state attorney general asked to investigate

The Associated Press

Updated: 2:10 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2005

ROCHESTER, N.H. - As doctors warn more patients that they should lose weight, the advice has backfired on one doctor with a woman filing a complaint with the state saying he was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

?I told a fat woman she was obese,? Bennett says. ?I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

He says he wrote a letter of apology to the woman when he found out she was offended.

Her complaint, filed about a year ago, was initially investigated by a panel of the New Hampshire Board of Medicine, which recommended that Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern. The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney general?s office to investigate.

Bennett rejected that office?s proposal that he attend a medical education course and acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Bruce Friedman, chairman of the board of medicine, said he could not discuss specific complaints. Assistant Attorney General Catherine Bernhard, who conducted the investigation, also would not comment, citing state law that complaints are confidential until the board takes disciplinary action.

The board?s Web site says disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state.

?Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,? said board member Kevin Costin.

Other overweight patients have come to Bennett?s defense.

?What really makes me angry is he told the truth,? Mindy Haney told WMUR-TV on Tuesday. ?How can you punish somebody for that??

Haney said Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but acknowledged that she initially didn?t want to listen.

?I have been in this lady?s shoes. I?ve been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry,? Haney said. ?But once you think about it, you?re angry at yourself, not Doctor Bennett. He?s the messenger. He?s telling you what you already know.?

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

Fucking twat!

'HOLLY WILLOUGHBY on a Saturday morning dressed as a French Maid and shouting "Ram it!"

not the same Holly Willoughby i know i hope...........:yikes:

Actually, since the July bombings have had to go to London twice. Both times I'm amazed at the amount of gorgeous women around. Lots of them Asian. So, there are fit burds here. (Course, had to travel 200 miles to find 'em).

that's why i used to like to meet with the London Contingent in the King's Head.

situated in Chinatown and many FOXY Asians walking around...... :chili:

but as a whole your post bought a smile to my face.....thanks........ :beer:

the reference to dogging in Dorset almost made me drop my Cider........ ::......a classic

Guest lazyphil

You want to see foxy Asians, Italians, Spanish etc etc....pay a visit to cambridge,you wont be dissapointed!! i keep thinking about having a homestay student, purely for finacial reasons of course :angel:

Funny, quite contrary to your reaction, 2½ years of living in Thailand all of a sudden gave me a deeper appreciation of the country from where I came and where I currently live. (scandinavia).

I have no desire to change that.

I still enjoy our vacations to Thailand, but predominantly because it is cheap and we have family down there.

No way I would relocate.

The missus is now a citizen in our country and the kids are free to choose their line of education without us having to fork up our life deposit.

Gee, I prize myself lucky living here.

Prior to actually living in thailand I may have felt differently, but not so anymore.

Oh, and by the way, the birds... well the younger ones anyway in Denmark are gorgeous!!! Not that I note that, happily married and all.

cheers

hua nguu

Thailand all of a sudden gave me a deeper appreciation of the country from where I came and where I currently live.

--------------------------------------

You bet! Same here. However I have gotten the Asia bug, I thanks the heavens for being born and raised in France, and given the opportunity to live my life exactly as, and where I wish it.

'i keep thinking about having a homestay student, purely for finacial reasons of course'

555.........be careful.

a Collegue of mine thought the same and he fell in love after being with his Missus for 20 Years and 3 Kids.

don't worry about the Asians,i have my fair share at work each Day......... :grinyes:

a new one started recently and she is a definate 11.......and single......... :p

After thinking about it for a few days, I think the think that makes the UK so bad (for me) is the amount of negative energy around. From the pained expressions of the peope in Tescos, to the stories on the news (another child murdered, a pensioner raped, more things that will give you cancer, "crazy muslims" going to bomb us again, deeper debt etc), there are very few reasons to smile here, and broadly speaking people don't. After a while, a tension creeps in, i get a knotted feeling across my shoulders, a dull ache behind my eyes, and my chest feels tighter, making it harder to breathe. I never feel like this when in Thailand, I think the almost total lack of "sanuk" coupled with the general overbearing negativity constantly purveyed by the media is to blame.

I am leaving for the airport in 4 hours, and I have that excited feeling all over again. If one thing positive has come from this trip, it is to re-affirm that Thailand is definately the place for me, and I never want to return to live here. Also those irritations in LOS (driving etc) now seem charming, and I can't wait to get back in at the deep end of it all.

INTJ

I have lived in Oz for the last 10 years but come from the UK. Agree with the negativity comment. That and the weather made me emmigrate. Very upbeat here.

An old Aussie joke about Poms (English) illustrates your point.

How do you know when a plane load of Poms has landed? Because when they turn the engines off, you can still hear the whining!

Sid

Archived