Holiday From Hell

INTJ

pattaya127 said:

and Thailand is not and will never be my real home.

---------------------------------------------

better than that. it's home in your heart. Sounds trite and corny, but from repeat sex tourists to pig-raising farang in Udon, it's the unmistakable common ground, I'd say.

IJust traveling in absolutely fascinating countries in the region, still when you pass the border or land by plane, the feeling is "home again!". There is a sense of possibilities arising from being there, unconnected to striving or working towards something (as in a career, a goal), but simply for being alive and feeling good, and in tune with yourself.

Well, something like that.....

So, in others words " Party on Garth?"

Shit.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add this :

Friday » August 26 » 2005

6/49 winners given until end of week

Judge may have to decide if two A&W workers get share of $14.5m jackpot

Glenda Luymes and Susan Lazaruk

The Province; Canadian Press

August 25, 2005

Jayson Anderson is a good loser.

He missed out on a share of $14.5 million and yesterday just shrugged it off.

"The winners are all my friends," he said outside the Mission A&W where a group of co-workers won a $14.5-million lottery jackpot last weekend. "I'm just happy for them."

But two of his colleagues are not so happy.

Tanis McQuillan, 25, and Meagan Weisgarber, 19, have filed a complaint with the B.C. Lottery Corp. claiming they were part of the pool but have been cut out of the prize money by the nine winners.

McQuillan and Weisgarber, who have retained a lawyer, say they are entitled to a $1.3-million share because they have consistently put money into the weekly pool.

Anderson said he usually plays the lottery as well, but he wasn't working the day the ticket was bought.

"We play every week," he said. "Everyone that goes into the lottery puts their name on a piece of paper and puts in $2.

"Marge goes into the Shoppers Drug Mart to buy the ticket.

"There were nine people, two rows of numbers each, so 18 rows of numbers."

The lottery corporation said it may ask a judge to decide who gets the money if the workers can't decide by the end of the week.

"One option we have is to pay it into a court and have the court decide, after hearing everyone's testimony, who are the rightful owners," said the corporation's Jim Lightbody.

He said that eight women and a man who work at the A&W will definitely get a share of the prize from Saturday's 6/49 draw.

"There is no dispute that that group of people paid in to buy this ticket and theirs is the winning ticket," Lightbody said.

The question is whether McQuillan and Weisgarber will get a cut.

McQuillan, who has worked at the restaurant for six years, said earlier she feels betrayed by people she considered her friends.

"They are people I've had in my house," she said. "They are people that come over for barbecues and for birthday parties."

McQuillan's mom, Norma McQuillan, said her daughter, a supervisor at the restaurant, and Weisgarber, a cashier, returned to work last evening for the first time since the dispute.

"I guess they're a little worried, but they're brave girls and they're going to walk in there with their heads held high," she said. "They have nothing to be ashamed of."

She said her daughter, who has a two-year-old boy, wasn't concerned about strained friendships.

"If they were friends to begin with, they'll still be her friends," she said.

On her way into work yesterday, McQuillan said she was "a little nervous" about facing her coworkers. Weisgarber, who started work at 5 p.m., refused comment.

The nine undisputed winners are eight women aged 20 to 60 and one man, Francis Carcasson, of Abbotsford, a part-owner of the A&W.

According to an entry on an old school website, Carcasson immigrated from the U.K. in 1968. He was a teacher and high-school principal in northern B.C. before he went into business several years ago, buying three restaurants.

He couldn't be reached for comment.

At least one of the nine winners was at work yesterday.

"All of us are really excited," she said. "The staff are just excited."

The odds of winning the 6/49 jackpot are about one in 14 million.

gluymes@png.canwest.com

slazaruk@png.canwest.com

- - -

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Give us your comments by fax at 604-605-2223, or by e-mail at provletters@png.canwest.com.

Be sure to spell out your first and last names and give your hometown and phone number.

Khun_Kong said:

LG-

An eloquent post. Superbly spoken thoughts. Just one more reason amongst many to make us sorry you went.

On a quick note...here's an example of why I don't live in the States right now. Too much of this crap going on regularly.

Doctor in trouble for calling patient obese

N.H. woman filed complaint; state attorney general asked to investigate

The Associated Press

Updated: 2:10 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2005

ROCHESTER, N.H. - As doctors warn more patients that they should lose weight, the advice has backfired on one doctor with a woman filing a complaint with the state saying he was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

?I told a fat woman she was obese,? Bennett says. ?I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

He says he wrote a letter of apology to the woman when he found out she was offended.

Her complaint, filed about a year ago, was initially investigated by a panel of the New Hampshire Board of Medicine, which recommended that Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern. The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney general?s office to investigate.

Bennett rejected that office?s proposal that he attend a medical education course and acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Bruce Friedman, chairman of the board of medicine, said he could not discuss specific complaints. Assistant Attorney General Catherine Bernhard, who conducted the investigation, also would not comment, citing state law that complaints are confidential until the board takes disciplinary action.

The board?s Web site says disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state.

?Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone,? said board member Kevin Costin.

Other overweight patients have come to Bennett?s defense.

?What really makes me angry is he told the truth,? Mindy Haney told WMUR-TV on Tuesday. ?How can you punish somebody for that??

Haney said Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but acknowledged that she initially didn?t want to listen.

?I have been in this lady?s shoes. I?ve been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry,? Haney said. ?But once you think about it, you?re angry at yourself, not Doctor Bennett. He?s the messenger. He?s telling you what you already know.?

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

Fucking twat!

further to an earlier post by me.

i could easily leave the UK and live in the Far East.

but i think i would have to visit the UK on occasions for certain reasons.

i would want to visit Edinburgh on Hogmany/go for my normal swim in the sea on Boxing Day (a tradition)/Pints of Tetleys and espiecally going to visit my old workplace and take the piss out of my single ex-collegues for their hum-drum life.

the stories on the news (another child murdered, a pensioner raped, more things that will give you cancer, "crazy muslims" going to bomb us again, deeper debt etc)

Each and every one of these things exists in Thailand -- probably more so than in the UK. You are just not aware of it because (a) you don't speak/read Thai and (B) you're in vacation mode when you're there.

The good news, I suppose, is that you could stay in Thailand forever and possibly never feel like those bad things are factors in your life, because the language barrier means you probably won't pick up on them even if you learn to speak Thai fairly well.

"(a) you don't speak/read Thai and (B) you're in vacation mode when you're there"

I do speak and read Thai, and I'm definately not in "vacation mode" when I'm there.

Actually not "there".

"Here" now, as I arrived back in LOS last night.

The nightmere is over.

INTJ

(a very happy bunny indeed).

My bad, I meant to make a more general statement about peoples' feelings when they're in Thailand, but I used a quote from you (who made it clear that you have a real life going on in Thailand, etc).

Anyway, glad you're back in your Nexus.

INTJ said:

"Here" now, as I arrived back in LOS last night.

The nightmere is over.

INTJ

(a very happy bunny indeed).

INTJ,

Happy to hear you've made it back, suspect many of us are living vicariously through you...

Couple years ago after foolishly lifting weights during a workout without proper regard to my age I got a pinched nerve in my neck. I was in constant pain 24 hours/day, month after month. Along with physical therapy the Doc's gave me these "Horse pill" sized pain meds that I had to take 4-6 times a day which at least allowed me to get some sleep at light.

Decided to make my planned trip to LOS anyway, was thinking of trying massages twice a day, anything. My very 1st day back in LOS, 1st thing in the morning went to grab one of my pain pills, suddenly realized the pain was completely, absolutely gone. :worship:

Did tell this story to my Doc hoping he'd write a "prescription" for LOS but he wasn't having any of it... :nono:

Just took my bike for a blast along the coast road as the sun was setting, no helmet, the total freedom of Thailand is exhilarating, there can be no other word. Feeling the warm wind on my face, the backdrop of the palm trees silhouetted against the clear moonlit sky, the locals giving me a warm friendly (almost knowing) smile as I cruised by. A glorious sensation of well being swept over and enveloped me. To think a few days ago we were talking of BBC local evening news and shop doorways stinking of piss, funny old world.

Then home for a big bowl of Tom Yam with huge whole prawns, absolutely delicious, and a long proper shower, not hunched up in some cold glass sided cubicle.

This is my peace, my happiness. From someone who was becoming slightly jaded with Thailand, I now feel totally cleansed, able to fully appreciate all the magical things about LOS that brought me here in the first place. My head is clear, my shoulders are loose and I can breathe easily. My dick looks and feels like it is working properly again.

And tomorrow around I shall be feasting my eyes on the skytrain, those BKK residents know exactly what I mean !

To anyone thinking of moving here, I would recommend, "just do it", living here is not as good as you imagine, it is 100 times better. Ignore all those "how much do I need to retire" threads and the ludicrous figures that are banded about. As long as you've got a bit of cash, a half decent brain and most importantly of all you believe in yourself, and stay away (as much as possible) from bars, booze and birds, you can find your true nirvana, and never have to go back to that "other place".

So thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it is something I will read from time to time as the time passes, just to keep my feet on the ground, and things in perspective.

Best Regards,

INTJ.

INTJ,

I am beginning to dislike you :) ..........shut up about raving how wonderful it is to be back in Thailand....

Some of us have got 4 weeks exactly before the big PERMANENT move...

Of course once I am there I will take great enjoyment in posting similar to your observations.

oohhh the skytrain ....ohhh my eyes... bliss.

Glad your enjoying being back there m8....might even catch you for a beer in BKK when I get there and we can sit for half an hour bad mouthing the UK :)

D.

Hey INTJ, we could have used your experience in a now infamous "violence" thread in this very section.

My favorite occupation is to ride outside the cities, anywhere I go. Sometimes, I just scream to the top of my lungs, riding, that's as happy I am. I told my expat friend in Khon Kaen, he's been there some 10 years, he told me he still does it too!

Archived