Holiday From Hell

INTJ

Guest lazyphil

My friend came to visit me when I was in LOS for my year stint,he just finished a messy divorce and i too was at a crossroads, we often speak of our 'motorbike diarys' burning rubber around krabi at 2am with the limestone karsts lite up by the full moon :: i remember he fell off into the jungle and a kind thai guy helped him find his bike in the bushes, i think the bucket of sangsom and coke thru a straw didn't help :: :: :(

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
INTJ said:

Just took my bike for a blast along the coast road as the sun was setting, no helmet, the total freedom of Thailand is exhilarating, there can be no other word. Feeling the warm wind on my face, the backdrop of the palm trees silhouetted against the clear moonlit sky, the locals giving me a warm friendly (almost knowing) smile as I cruised by. A glorious sensation of well being swept over and enveloped me. To think a few days ago we were talking of BBC local evening news and shop doorways stinking of piss, funny old world.

Then home for a big bowl of Tom Yam with huge whole prawns, absolutely delicious, and a long proper shower, not hunched up in some cold glass sided cubicle.

This is my peace, my happiness. From someone who was becoming slightly jaded with Thailand, I now feel totally cleansed, able to fully appreciate all the magical things about LOS that brought me here in the first place. My head is clear, my shoulders are loose and I can breathe easily. My dick looks and feels like it is working properly again.

And tomorrow around I shall be feasting my eyes on the skytrain, those BKK residents know exactly what I mean !

To anyone thinking of moving here, I would recommend, "just do it", living here is not as good as you imagine, it is 100 times better. Ignore all those "how much do I need to retire" threads and the ludicrous figures that are banded about. As long as you've got a bit of cash, a half decent brain and most importantly of all you believe in yourself, and stay away (as much as possible) from bars, booze and birds, you can find your true nirvana, and never have to go back to that "other place".

So thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it is something I will read from time to time as the time passes, just to keep my feet on the ground, and things in perspective.

Best Regards,

INTJ.

INTJ,

My sentiments exactly. Enjoy your stay. I'll be back in the states for a few weeks on the 10th. Daughter's wedding. Will be fun with the family, everyone will be there, but I will not stay long after the wedding and they are all gone. Nice to enjoy the cooler air in the early fall, and maybe take a drive up to northern Maine to see some foliage with the sunroof open on the old Beamer and the CD player blasting some old Rock'nRoll. Stop for a lobster dinner on the way back, walk along Old Orchard Beach or Wells Beach and smell the sea air, hear the gulls screech and the surf pound the sand and red rocky coastline. Those things I miss at times, but I can do a lot of the same here, without the stress and strain of the faster paced 1st world rat race. Just much more laid back and simple here in the LOS. And nary a snowflake to be seen come November! :D

Cent

p.s. I have a Trek 710 hybrid city/mountain bike here. 18 speed. I know the feeling you describe. I prefer to use a bicycle instead of the motocyke though.

Guest lazyphil

He said it, not sure iof wrote it, Waters most likely?.....we were at 'Granchester Meadows' (song title) at the weekend for beer ...Ummagumma album, bit of a odd one I cant get on with much ::

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Found this old thread which I was the OP while searching for something else - I somehow completely forgot about this board for 5 years.

Very interesting from a personal point of view reading the original post. Just to update that I am still living happily in Thailand coming up for 8 years.

I wonder how many of these posters

oldhippie

lazyphil

jjsushi

suadum

longgun

etc

are still active ?

I will try not to forget again and try to add something positive to the board - it has a special place in my heart as the first Thai forum I was a member of (nanaplaza delphi)

ps is Nick Nostitz flyonzewall ?

Cheers to all

oldhippie = temp retirement

lazyphil = fark, posts too much ;)

jjsushi = always confuse him and buddha, wasn't he the bloke who worked part time in a car park un New York?

suadum = ;)

longgun = OK - look in the soccer thread, posts there occasionally.

etc = Is that Nervous Dog, Ice Cold, Bear Fart etc? If so yes.

Yeah - I was going to start a 'Where are they now ?' thread and thought better of it. Some bones really dont need to be dug up.

Still, some did disappear quite a few years ago - cant remember the last time TopCat posted, but his stuff was always insightful for anyone silly enough to consider buying a bar. I'll be 52 next month and part of me wishes this board was here 30 years ago. The other part wishes it had never been here.

IMO the best poster ever on NP was flyonzewall because of his insights mainly through his work, but I can also understand why KS banned him - like a dog with a bone over the Cambo indentured thing. Great while it lasted though.

Cheers

Archived