question for the Doc

How long should the course of medicine be for gonerea as my doctor told me 2 weeks and also how long before i can i expect the drip to dry up.

Thanks in advance,

Boner

If I had gonorrhea, I would take a single tablet-Suprax 400 mg. Suprax is a third-generation cephalosporin and so far, no cases of resistance have been reported. Cipro 500 mg and Floxin 400 mg are fluoroquinolones and are also excellent as a single dose, but there has been some reported cases of resistance, albeit very rare.

This does not give treatment for Chlamydia, so make sure you had a culture done for it and it was negative.

Waxing and waning signs of urethritis (drip)would bother me a little, especially if I was on an antibiotic that I was told to take for 14 days. It may be due to using an antibiotic with a poor MIC (mean inhibitory concentration)against gonorrhea. It can also be due to the development of NGU.

In cases of pure gonorrhea, urethritis should clear in 24-48 hours after treatment.

No recent experience so the terminology may not be current. With an injection, you may notice the difference within 24 hours. If the drip continues, but is of a different, less alarming quality, you may also have NSU (or whatever it is called now).

Thank's for the quick answers.

I was a bit worried as the drip was gone after a couple of days then reappeared for 2 more days and now it seems to be gone for the last 12 hours or so. So i hope it wont come back this time. The one dose sounds interesting also as i got a huge bag of pills to eat at the moment. Would it help to buy one of those from the pharmacy and take it as well.

Thank's again for all your help

Doc,

When I was in the Military and got the clap I was given a shot and antibiotic pills for a week. I was told: no alcohol, coffee, soft drinks and other no no's that I've forgotten, for the week I was on the antibiotics. Any good reason for this?

Maybe punishment?

I'm not sure why the military doctor advised you to avoid alcohol, caffeine, etc. They have diuretic effects and maybe he/she was concerned about them lowering the concentration of the antibiotic in your system. If so, the rationale behind it is weak.

Thanks tomc12,

All your advice has been great and really reasuring.Will let you know how everything turns out in a few more days when im sure.

Also what are the symptoms and cure for clamyidia. I just read on a web site it is quiet common to catch gonerea and clamyidia together. I got tested for other things as well but it was all negative. I also had a blood test for aids that took 3 days for the negative result to come back.

Thanks again Doc,

Boner

The majority of men with chlamydial urethritis are asymptomatic. Of those with symptoms, most will present with painful or burning urination. It can also cause conjunctivitis and proctitis. A few develop epididymitis and Reiter's syndrome. Variants of Chlamydia cause Lymphogranuloma venereum. Easiest treatment for Chlamydia is 1 gram of Zithromax as a single dose.

Archived