HIV rate among Thailand's prostitutes

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

[QB]According to an editorial in todays's issue of the Indian online paper www.thenewspapertoday.com, 70% of Bombay's "commercial sex workers" are HIV+. It is estimated that in 2005 there will be at least 20 million infected Indians.

by 2020 probably 110% of the poulation will be infected, the way the alarmists keep inflating the figures.

why would anyone want to use an indian prostitute anyway? i asked one guy that went there about them, he said 'if they like you they might take off their sari'. i've been to india 5 times, i've seen weird diseases there they don't even have names for in the west. no way i'd ever get close to an indian prostitute.

after reading some of the other posts, and thinking about it,

i'm probably taking a risk here, but it is on topic of health and vd incidence,

most of the sex workers in thailand come on the game and stay on the game, and the longer the time, the higher the chance of catching something, also passing it on to others.

in a place we all know i'm fond of, most of the girls come for 6 months and go back home.

less time, less chance of infection, less chance of passing it on.

Originally posted by notroll:

"why would anyone want to use an indian prostitute anyway?"

As a frequent visitor to India, I'd generally agree. But yesterday evening, around 7 p.m., I saw two very appealing Indian hookers stand out at the corner Sukhumvit/Soi 7. One was an absolute stunner, modern dress, no saree, and gorgeous figure.

bBy the bits of language I overheard they must have been Tamils.

When I passed that spot again half an hour later, they were gone. I'd seen that stunner in obvious business conversation with a falang, so I guess her took her to enact some chapters of the Kama Sutra.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Has anybody found reliable figures on the HIV rate among Thai prostitutes?

The worst that I have come across is an infection rate of 40% for prostitutes in cheap red-light areas of Chiang Mai. Bad enough!

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

I came accross a document that was put out buy the UN or the WHO a few years ago that talked about this. If I can find it (It's on the net somewhere...) I'll post the link.

I remember it broke prostitutes into two catigories: direct and non-direct. Direct being a brothel type situation, typically multiple customers per day, often limited ability to refuse a customer. Indirect being the free-lancer, or bar-worker, the ones most farangs are accustomed with. Most do not have multiple clients per day (many do not have any clients in any given day I'd say!) and they have choice over who they go with.

For direct workers it varies highly on location, some places testing as high as 80%, but generally more like 30-40%. For indirect workers, much less: 9%. Still scary.

I don't know how accurate the study was, but at least it's not pulling numbers out of thin air.

On the one extreme you have people like bernard trink that still deny HIV causes AIDS, or people that want to pretend it's about as prevalent with sex workers as it is in the general population (about 1.5-2% in Thailand).

On the other extreme you've got the alarmist who want to tell you it's 90%.

The truth is somewhere in between.

Hmmm, these are not the papers, the one I'm thinking about has much, much more detail, but maybe this will help other find it?

http://www.unaids.org/hivaidsinfo/statistics/june00/fact_sheets/pdfs/thailand.pdf

www.unaids.org/publications/documents/care/general/JC-FemSexWork-E.pdf

some quotes:

"In Bangkok, HIV prevalence among sex workers

tested (both direct and indirect combined) has ranged from 7 to 18 percent between 1990 and 1996. Since 1994, HIV prevalence in

this group has declined slightly from 13 percent to 7 percent in 1997. Outside of Bangkok, HIV prevalence among sex workers tested (both direct and indirect) increased from 5 percent to 20 percent. HIV prevalence rates are highest in the northern provinces ranging from 16 to 57 percent among direct sex workers."

here's another link with more info.

http://www.unaids.org/publications/documents/epidemiology/determinants/una98e2.pdf

Again, I don't know how accurate, but it's a whole lot better that beliving some number someone pulled out of their ass.

A quote:

"Indirect FSWs, those working in non-brothel commercial sex sites such as bars or nightclubs, and who generally have far fewer clients than direct sex workers, show a much more gradual increase to about 12%."

quote:

Originally posted by notroll:

most of the sex workers in thailand come on the game and stay on the game, and the longer the time, the higher the chance of catching something, also passing it on to others.

in a place we all know i'm fond of, most of the girls come for 6 months and go back home.

less time...

Maybe true.

quote:

...less chance of infection

but did you know that is a girl does pick it up, she is very contageous at the early stages because her immune system has not kicked in yet to try to fight it off?

Archived