Bumrungrad

follies

Watched a feature on "World News Tonight" (USA news program seen all over the country) about Bumrungrad Hospital. The emphasis was on the 5-star hotel-like quality of the place, plus the fact that they actually seem to care about your illness/condition (unlike here in the USA, where "do you have medical insurance?" is the first priority).

The place looked nice. Prices (not quoted) were said to be around 1/10th of equivalent in the USA.

Anyone have any firsthand experience? How about elective procedures (eg Lasik)?

did not see the programme, but I can confirm quality of the hospital. However do not hink that this is your average Thai hospital.

It is western managed I believe and caters mainly to ex-pats and high net worth locals.

I have used their facilities twice however not for surgery and was impressed both times.

the hospital is computerised and the whole process from hospital registration departmental registration, doctor, payment and pick up of perscription took approx. 1 hour with the whole process in english.

almost identical to the NHS in the UK (?)

don't confuse great service with great medical care- i've been there on a regular basis for many years as it's probably the best facility in thailand- however i haven't always been happy with the results or diagnosis

for serious surgery, i rather head back to north america- wouldn't put it in the same league as mayo, johns hopkins, scripps etc

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: tanha ]

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: tanha ]

Thanks for the input. Yes, I do realize that it's not a "typical" Thai hospital, I had that experience after a small disagreement with a minibus in Chiang Mai.

Yes, for serious surgery, I too would stay here. However, at the considerably cheaper rates, my question would be is it good for non-serious elective surgery (the kind yer average HMO in the USA will not pay for)??

money and how it is spent is certainly a personal choice- it's one thing to get a good deal on an air ticket or a good bargain on a go-go girl- it's quite another thing to get a good deal on surgery- if i'm going to be cut open, i want the best doctors and staff doing it- given a choice, i'd rather spend my money on good health care so that i can enjoy all that los has to offer for many more healthful years

if i were you, i would find the best in houston instead of the best in thailand (sexual reassignment surgeries excepted!)

Follies,

Your initial summary of the show you saw sounds about right to me. As far as I'm concerned, for all but the most serious procedures, the level of humanity and courtesy generally shown toward patients by the staff at Bumrungrad more than makes up for what might be arguably a slight lag in technology. Also, my own experience is that you 10% rule of thumb in comparing Thai and US costs is, unbelievably enough, just about right.

True - it is a very modern and impressive place. The McDonalds, Starbucks, and Japanese restaurant are a nice bonus as well.

In general, I have had good service there, but the quality often depends on which doc you end up with. Most of the well-respected docs are best seen by appointmnet. If you do not have an appointmnet, you can "stanby" and wait for them. If you just show up, it is kind of hit and miss with respect to doc quality.

Their website has been helpful to me. You can check the docs background/research interests there.

froggo

Archived