Borrowing money

brottbyman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Borrowing from who?

Have to be specific as from "each other" - other Thai people I assume- leaves over fifty million possibilities.

From relatives is usually the first choice. If it is from a falang it can usually just be considered a gift.

Other relatives- Thai relatives- will almost always expect it back.

Commercial lending is a different story. Ten percent a month is not impossible but is unusual.

If she really borrowed at that rate, in other words this is not a way to scam you for some money as I personally suspect it is, she should never be allowed to know anything about your personal finances and should not be allowed to cosign on any asset you would like to keep.

I could probably get her half that interst rate from non-bank lenders but I would need to see some nude photos first.

Yep looks like we registered on the same day. A few more detailes. Not from a bank and not from relatives. From what i gather even though she says a friend it seems more like a loan shark ( this was before i got involved with her). She has been paying the 5.000 every month until she moved to Falangland 6 months ago. So what i am wondering is if the "friend" would accept a lesser intrest if she(i) pay the debt

as she is in Falangland and no idea when my wife is comming back. But then again the interest might go upp to 20% when she finds out she has married a Falang.

Cheers

You need to be absolutely sure this is not a scam. I have heard this many times, exact same story, and it was a scam every time. The girl could produce bank transfer details but it was for a relative or boyfreinds account.

I could help but will not be back in Thailand for at least a month, or more. and you need to deal with this quickly.

If it is a loan shark what kind? The Indian money lenders who prowl around Soi Cowboy at night? Or serious money lenders that hurt people?

Even with a loan shark there is usually a written record of some sort that she should have. You need to get that translated right away. Even with a terrible rate it is usually written.

Through someone she trusts, usually a male relative, she could offer to pay a lesser amount in full because she does is "not coming back to Thailand but does not want to cause problems for the person who helped her and loaned her the money".

They will never accept less on the principle but would on the interst.

Get it in wirting.

Not a good friend and not a neighbor. I susspect it is just pay. The persons concened rang to my wifes mother at the weekend wondering why she hadn`t paid and i dont won`t the family to have problems and we will probaly be moving to Thailand in 6 or 7 years and don`t want any problems then.

Archived