How Will I go being disabled?

Hi there, I'm just curious, I'm going to Bangkok in November (I'm from Austrslia btw) and am staying with a friend. My question is this. I am disabled and use a wheelchair and I was wondering what the disabled amenities around the city are like (especially the bars). Also how do you think the locals and the girls in the bars will react towards me?

Just one more question, will have any trouble at the airport as I am travelling on my own and have to get through customs myself, thankfully however I am travelling first class

Any useful information will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Burlo

Hi Burlo,

Just a few pointers. I'm sure others here will fill you in further.

While disabled amenities in Bangkok are poor I expect you will have very little problems, or no problems at all, with both locals and bar girls. That's the human aspect. Over to the practicalities.

Transportation around the city may be a bit tricky. Many sky train and subway stations however have lifts. The same goes for major shopping centers, hotels and so on. Something of a concern, I imagine, is that most cabs in Bangkok are quite small. Also, they run on gas, which means they're small in the passenger cage and have very little room in the trunk (as there is a big gas tube there).

Streets are generally crowded and with *very little* thought put in for safe movement.

Many bars are outright unsuitable if you are in wheel chair. Here I'm especially thinking about 3rd floor Nanaplaza bars or moving around in Patpong night market. On the other hand there are also ground floor bars, for example more or less the whole stretch of Soi Cowboy. -- I guarantee that you'll not be left alone many seconds if heading there ;)

Customs will most likely not present a problem for you. There's plenty of room and officers are not "cubed" in behind locked doors (although customs is located on a upper floor, so you will need to get down one floor to collect bags and leave the airport).

All in all -- even if BKK in many ways is a messy city and not made for wheel chair transportation -- I'm sure you will have a great time!

I have seem some guys around NANA in wheelchairs , keep a smile and you will be alright,

AS far as lifts for the Skytrain and subway , it takes a special key to make them work, no idea where you get this "key"

Hopefully someone can answer that,

the sidewalks are in pretty bad condition plus all the sidewalk sellers , so it will be tight but possible to pass.

Have fun

OC

Hi!

I have travelled with a Swedish bloke once that was temporary disabled and in a wheelchair. He had a note on his ticket that said that he needs assistance and was helped both at the departure and arrival airport. I suggest that you contact the carrier and explain that you need assistance. I think this service is available in most international airports.

As for Thailand I have often seen blokes in wheelchairs but been fortunate enough to never need one myself. However it is obviously possible to get around.

regards

ALHOLK

Thanks guys the help already is proving invaluable, how about bathroom facilities, keeping in mind that my disability is Cerebral Palsy thus meaning I can get out of my chair and stand up. (balance is my main problem, even more so when I'm drunk:)

Hi Burlo,

Welcome to the board.!! :) I too have seen guys in wheel chairs being pushed around, or rolling around on their own. Where they stay, and how they get in an out I don't know. Handicapped facilities are not as common in LOS as in the west. No curb cuts, no special restrooms etc (which might be your big problem, as some toilets are just too damned small to stand or squat in...).

That all said, I am sure with some help, you will be able to get around. I would think there would maybe be some travel sights catering to people with your needs and abilities. If not, maybe start one? In any event, I think you be ok in some places, difficult in others. Will you have anyone with you in BKK?

Hi Burlo,

Welcome.

Bathroom facilities in most of the Bars may prove to be a bit of a challenge, but easily overcome with the assistance of a bikini clad "nurse" on either side to make sure you keep "standing up" Don't worry, many of the facilities cater for all 3 genders at the same time... so you could be in for some amazing sights and fun times...LOL....

From your posts you seem to have a good attitude and this will go a long way in LOS. Just remember....anything is possible in Bangkok and if access to one place is difficult, there will be 10 other places that will turn out to be just as much fun.....

It shouldn't take you too much time to find a "Tour Guide" that will take care of all your needs and provide more than enough assistance to make your visit both enjoyable and extremely memorable......

You'll be back................and it won't take long....LOL

ENJOY

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer:

Major hotels can handle folks in wheel chairs. The rooms will have handicapped facilities too, but don't expect it in bars.

You can get a taxi from your hotel, but it will cost much more than one off of the street. Still, probably no more than what you are used to in Oz.

There is a lift in Nana Plaza, but it is hard enough just to get around the place on two steady legs. Vendors will be blocking the pavement, punters and bar girls hanging around outside etc. I'd advise spending most of your time in Soi Cowboy, which is essentially a ground floor place -- though the bars may have upstairs activities too.

Be nice to the girls -- buy them a drink and they'll be all over you. Don't go TOO wild though, unless you plan on buying drinks for all the gals in the place. Easy enough to happen when you are not used to being treated like a movie star by cute young women!

If this is your first visit, you might like heading over to Gulliver's Travellers Inn on a Friday night. The board members meet there each Friday. Look for them in the dining area to the left of the main entrance. Lots of freelancers in Gulliver's too, though they may be a bit costly.

Once again guys thank you for all your helpful advice. To answer a few questions:Firstly Old Hippie I am staying with an Aussie mate who now lives in Bangkok, in his own apartment, so thats all covered. Although I'm in a chair he'll be pushing me around so we can bunnyhop up gutters, etc. As for the stairs problem I can walk up them with a bit of assistance and my mate will drag my chair up, as long as the stuff don't mind.

I guess as disabled people go I'm pretty mildly disabled, and yes if you were all wondering "My legs aren't that great but my middle one makes up for it!

I was thinking about getting limos instead of cabs, because there boots should have more room. My wheelchair is very modern and folds in half. How much would this cost me in baht (! AUS dollar = 28 baht? or is it more?) Or are some cabs mini buses??

Another question:In Aus we use the cirrius ATM system with a 4 digit pin number, will this work in Thailand??

Like everyone else I'm arriving at 10:50 on a Wednesday night so where can I go to get straight into the action?

Or could I get a girl to come back to my apartment?

I do agree with the adage of always being polite and keeping a smile on your face. Trust me, I've been disabled all my 31 years and if I didn't act this way on a regular basis, no matter where I am, I would have been buggered years ago. If anything from what I've read, I'm sure the Thai people (especially the girls) are far more excepting then half the ppl I've met over here.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Burlo

Archived