ID To Be Needed At Soi Cowboy Bars

Stickman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OCgringo said:

I think if passports are required then the pickpockets will have a field day ,

At least with a USA drivers licence its the size of a credit card and fits in your pocket easily,

Making Soi Cowboy a walking street sounds great in practice , but how do the bars get supplies ? If security is the reason then they will have to inspect everything that comes in the Soi, which is not going to happen,

I hope its for security and not just to line their pockets

OC

I guess trucks can enter during day time hours??

We are supposed to carry our passports all the time now anyway...?

this is a subject which has been broached over a LONG period of time and so many different thoughts from different People.

coming from the UK i am not obliged to carry ID and am therefore reluctant to carry my Passport with me in another Country when walking the streets.

not that i object but i lost my Passport one Day when in LOS and it was a bit of a nightmare to get a replacement so that i could just get back to the UK.

if i was caught in a raid i would have no problem going back to the Hotel with the Police and getting the Passport out of the the SDB..........

not that much of an inconvience to me and i know my Passport is safe.

They tried this not that long ago in disco's and other large capacity night spots. Some places even had signs up that said foreigners must show passport for entry. It must have been unworkable as I don't see this anymore and even when it was in place, I was never asked for mine. But such places do carefully check every thai national's ID card. Farangs are just waved in; unequal treatment for the better.

OCgringo said: I think if passports are required then the pickpockets will have a field day ,

At least with a USA drivers licence its the size of a credit card and fits in your pocket easily,

You're dead right. I would never consider carrying my passport on me in Bkk. However I always have my UAE drivers license in my wallet, which is also the size of a credit card.

I agree, but the law is clear. Everyone over the age of 15 has to carry ID, Thai or farang.

Acceptable ID for farangs per the law is: passport, work permit book, or Thai driver's license. A copy of the passport pages are acceptable *IF* they is stamped/certified by the immigration office -- you need the info page and the entry stamp page. Period. This is from an old and dear family friend (an Immigration Police Major) and another Thai copper friend (high ranking guy at Thonglor).

So you ignore it (and I have, believe you me) at your own risk.

However, the arrogant idea of the coppers going to your hotel with you is laughable. Would your home country coppers do that? Hell no! They would put you in the pokey until someone comes to bail you out. Same-same here.

Cheers,

SD

Archived