Jakarta during Ramadan?

Ranger

"Ramadan is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar. It is during this month that Muslims observe the Fast of Ramadan. Dates for Ramadan 2005 are 05 October thru 03 November."

Are the bars and discos in Jakarta even open? Do most of the girls return to their home villages? Are most restaurants and shops closed for the whole month as well? This would be the only time I could go, but it seems it wouldn't be much fun? I was in Batam once during Ramadan and most nightspots that catered to foreigners were business as usual. The only difference I noticed was many of the girls had gone home.

Ranger

Should be fine. It is generally biz as usual after sundown, tho' some will give up booze & smokes for the entire month. Not eating/drinking is only during daylight hours if you do not know. Everything else will be open as usual. Only the really local restaraunts (and most streetside foodstalls) will be closed. Most western restaraunts and expat/tourist facilities will be open during the day.

Most folks do not go home until Eid al-Fitr (aka Hari Raya in Bahasa) which is the end of Ramadan. Good parties then!

I'll be there next week...

Cheers,

SD

From my experience in Oman is that Places will sell food and drink <non alcoholic> as long as it is out of the public eye, ie behind closed doors blanked windows etc etc.

As for alchohol it is near impossible to get any during this time as Muslims are not supposed to drink it full stop.

Some more devout ones will even refuse to swallow their own spit!!!! and flob one out in the pavement.

But as the man said the celebration at the end is great try and get some eid food the meat is fantastic.

I speak from a position of knowledge here, not guessing or assumptions, because I was in Jakarta during Ramadan last year. I can tell you that nightlife is extremely restricted during this time. CJs, Tigah Pulu and BATS are open as usual (on most days) but many places are either closed or deserted. Retro was deserted and the disco in Stadium was closed, for example. Blok M had issues with Muslim gangs attacking bars so I avoided the area. Unless your planning a very short trip I would strongly advise you to choose another time to visit Jakarta.

Its hard to tell from year to year what will be restricted and what of those restrictions will be enforced. You just have to wait a week or so and see what happens (not so usefull who are planning a trip). This year the position announced by the police is that bars, discos, and health clubs that are part international hotels can be open starting an hour after dark, and should be closed earlier than usual, which is still later than whats allowed in Thailand.

Aye. Here now, no real changes in opening/closing hours of the bars I visit. Restaraunts are buka during the day, but some use curtains and keep the lights off to take away attention -- local mobile food stalls are closed. However the mall food court was in full swing when I was there. My regular bar is open, with the regular whores sitting around. Not much change, really.

Cheers,

SD

Archived