Starbucks hates Asians

Hi Kong Kong

I posted the original story for two reasons.

Firstly it came from a reliable source and secondly, I hate Starbucks because they charge 60 baht for a microscopic pc of quiche lorraine (actually that's a very secondary reason)

I will admit that the story is beginning to look paper thin. However, I've gained good insight into how Starbucks operates.....and indeed Pantip.com - a forum for whinging Thais who have no foundations on which to base their arguments.

I have a lot of that forum translated for me and some of the complaints they level at the English language schools are moronic - they really do make me want to grab them by the throat and give them a good slap - a lot of them truly deserve it.

www.bangkokmouth.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn,

Just read the thread, after having been away for two days.

I checked out Pantip, at least the posts written in English. What a bunch of shit. The posters remind me of nuevo-riche Thais kids that used to come to my dive shop on Koh Phi Phi.

Their wealthy daddies paid for their diplomas at Thammasat and Chulalongkorn. I would go through the scuba course with them, basic physics and physiology. I mean basic, as in, any western high school kid could grasp the concept. This I know because I've taught hundreds of fairly stupid kids in the states who were all able to pass the simple tests. These little, Thai rich kids were as dumb as posts. And these were alleged graduates of Thailands highest centers for learning.

Its no wonder that they take up the Taksin nationalistic cause. Has anyone ever explained to these folks that the Japanese bitch slapped them during world war II? I know, I know, Thai history books are not exactly reality based.

I'm going to have my wife translate the posting controls for me and go have some fun.

Mental capacities of nam plaa.

I received this story through email from a friend today. This story has more holes than a K11 brothel.

First of all, the parking behind the Starbucks on Soi Convent, from what I remember, doesn't have spaces designated for parking right behind the store as the area is very small. Some private spaces are coned out but most are open.

Secondly, why would the owner (more on that later) of Starbucks Thailand care? He would have a driver whom would pick them up in front of the store. What were they doing there so late at night? Why would the farang woman bother to get into an argument over such a trivial issue? Why make such a comment against Asians when, most obviously, this particular Starbucks gets most of its revenue from Asians?

Thirdly, the contact information is bogus. I tried calling the number and found out that it is unassigned and I can't find a SWT Corporation. I would suspect that 1992 Sasin graduates would have no idea who this person is.

This is probably an attempt by a small coffee shop, whose market share is deteriorating, to take potshots at Starbucks using the anti-foreigner sentiment.

Someone made a reference to the Tommy Hilfiger scam which I also got a copy of when it was circulating around. More info can be found here:

http://hoaxinfo.com/tommy.htm

Looks similar, eh?

So we know now that the phone number is bogus. Maybe the name is, too, picked from a local newspaper or something like that: A gentleman called Suthat Bunnag (S. Boonnak?) is Superintendent of the Bangkok police. Coincidence? I just read the name on a poster put up by Ratchawong police station 'adverstising' their services. cool.gif" border="0

[ May 20, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

"Pantip.com - a forum for whinging Thais who have no foundations on which to base their arguments".

Well,I'm a member of pantip.com.

I agree that there are so many stupid kids in that webboard. But if you take some more time to look at it and go to the right place in that forum like Hong-Sa-Mud or War-Kor.You probably change your mind because there are quite a lot of people who have "real" knowledge.

quote:

Originally posted by @
^_^
@:

"Pantip.com - a forum for whinging Thais who have no foundations on which to base their arguments".

Well,I'm a member of pantip.com.

I agree that there are so many stupid kids in that webboard. But if you take some more time to look at it and go to the right place in that forum like Hong-Sa-Mud or War-Kor.You probably change your mind because there are quite a lot of people who have "real" knowledge.

Yeah, that's right.

Let's not forget that Pantip.com also has better Graemlins. They call them Toys. Any chance of having Teddy Bears over here?

crazy.gif" border="0

Finally everybody is beginning to notice that this story is BS. THis has all the earmarks of an e-mail hoax. I get e-mails like this all the time. They all sound vaguely legitimate, they all describe outrageous behavior, usually so shocking and illogical that it must be true, they're usually signed by someone who sounds legit and, ALWAYS, you can find people who SWEAR they know the people involved or are best friends of friends.

One case in point is the fake virus notification. They always say that Microsoft "announced" it, and it's always signed by somebody from a major corporation like Honeywell. The phone number is usually OK but either the poor bastard listed doesn't work there or has been inundated with phone calls about the virus.

Another in the fake motor-home crash. I've had more than one person swear they knew the police officer who investivated, but I've heard the story several times with different characters and different locations. Anyway, some _______ (fill in the blank - Japanese, Chinese, Polish, etc.) guy, new to the US, purchases a motor home to tour the country. One evening while travelling down the highway the motor home veers off into a ditch and overturns. When the police arrive they find the hapless driver somewhere in the wreckage with his pants down around his ankles. When queried he says that he had to take a dump so he turned on the vehicle's cruise control and went to the bathroom.

I'm just surprised that there are ostensibly educated people out there who give things like this credence. Of course, I was also surprised to learn that 80-odd percent of college graduates in the US believe that the government is withholding information about UFOs.

PhordPhan

BS Detector, bon vivant and

all around nice guy

Damn,

You mean area 51 doesn't exist? "Hun, go get our money back on those tickets to New Mexico."

I just had lunch today with some Thai friends. Two are brother and sister, both educated in the states, whose mother is an M.L.. For those of you who don't know, that means Mom Luang, which very losely means prince or princess. This means that their mom's great-grandfather was one of Chulalongkorn's brothers. What Thais call "High So."

These people are very cool. Not pretentious at all. When asked about the current situation in Thailand and the causes of the crisis, they replied just as any other college educated person with a clue would. The crises was caused by a number of factors including mismanagement of Thai banking and industry. I asked them if they followed the Taksin train of thought. Their response was that to believe the ills of Thailand are the responsibility of anyone other than Thais is dangerous for Thailand's future.

Now to counter this we had a guy who I would guess is between 25 - 28 years old, whose dad is a dentist and mom is an opthamologist. He never had to work for anything in his life and graduated, through his dad's checkbook, with a degree in graphics design from Silpakorn U.. Now I'm not the brightest network engineer in the world, but this guy knows less than my mom about computers. And she knows nothing. Supposedly he has used all of the Adobe publishing suite. When I asked him some basic questions about formatting and printing he acted as though I was speaking latin. I tried to rephrase, uh no.

So I brought up the topic of the Pantip sight and the current sentiment re: foreigners by the Taksin administration. I received this diatribe about how all of Thailands evils were the result of farang interference in Thai business. He started telling me about how superior Thais are and how more refined their culture is. When asked about the reasons he was working in the states and his friends went to school in the states he looked quite confused. Where upon I ended the conversation realizing I had reached the limit of his comprehension.

Interesting day.

Hey Bangkok Phil

I got this b.s. email forwarded to me as well. I'm friends with a group of Thais who graduated from Thammasat and who I thought would know better than to forward this type of Urban Legend crap to me, their lone farang friend. I thought about mentioning this on the board as a minor symptom of the perceived Taksin anti-farang sentiment that, depending on who you talk to, is gaining some ground. You beat me to it. I wonder if we compared the names in the ?forwarded to? header of this chain mail, would we see the same names?

Archived