September Contest's photos are up

khunsanuk

Hi Limbo,

>>> Red, I like your line of thinking of not voting if it's below a 5, maybe will do that for the next contest(s).

I have often wondered what the algorithm is for deciding the winners. Also the difference between not voting for some and giving a very low vote to a particular picture. Anyone out there who can enlighten me?

Cheers,

John_Betong

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what the algorithm is for deciding the winners. Also the difference between not voting for some and giving a very low vote to a particular picture.

-----------------------------------

not much difference if only a few find the shot catchy. a low 4 may become a middle one, once the contest is over. There is one i dislike, because it's totally off topic, IMO.

As for the algorythm, people do not judge the quality of a shot, but the idea behind it (like the girl in shade by a sunset), or if they like the chick. I also think that the guys seem to dig the type of girls they are more likely to associate as reminding them of their own BFs or cuties. the girls from floor shows are not doing very well, though they are far from being unattractive. Just we don't relate as well. IMO

How about we don;t identify too many pictures and owners just yet?

have to agree with the voting, I noticed one pic early on was 2 - 3 points higher than anything else, and not in my opinion a standout winner either.

I always vote in a range of 5 - 8 or 9.

I think a voting range of 1 - 10 gives to many opportunities of voting 1's and then a 10 for your own.

A range of 1 - 5 would personally compress the voting range and give weight to larger average score.

I used to organise, promote and run the Queensland School Photography competition.

In that the range as 100's of photo's, a group of judges (5 of us from very different backgrounds and also the main sponsor's representative) would whitle that down to about 30 photo's.

Then there would be a large party at our gallery, where the people coming in could vote, however the judges still had a larger vote (5:1).

As far as value of a photo ges, up to the viewer, I has some amazing put of focus pictures, and some really dull perfectly focused exposed pictures!

DOG

A range of 1 - 5 would personally compress the voting range

---------------------

good idea, but i think KS would have to reprogram the whole scoring for the entire general gallery. maybe easy to do, and it's not like people give that many notes, outside the contest.

In that the range as 100's of photo's

------------------------------

to dream the impossible dream.... just think, 100 shots contributed towards a contest here....yep, dreaming! :(

I would point out that a few guys on this board have a back ground in professional photography/other art mediums. Some work with SLR equipment and film, or digital, and both are a bit trickier than just getting lucky with an instamatic point and shoot...many factors to be considered...luck plays a large role in many photographs, and things like changing angles, or making a "better shot" in one persons eyes really means nothing, it is what the photographer was after, and his ability to acheive it that matters. Change an angle, or hold the camera differently, and you are maybe changing the mood etc of the frame, and thus the whole photo...

Judge these as they are, for what they are, in the context in which they exist. Leave the tips, and comments out, they are inappropriate here to say the least. Comments from some here may mean something, from others, they mean nothing or less...

Ok, Stray rears his ugly head again. The photo contest is three pages.

FYI.

Average image views per page.

Page 1 - 67,2 views / image

Page 2 - 50,8 views / image

Page 3 - 57 views / image (only 4 images on this page)

I don't know if it has any impact on the competition, but it's a common & known problem on Internet that pages and links that are not prominent always has less traffic.

SLR's - HA, smallest format I used!, Only had Blad's and Toyo in our studio's,

Arrrr those where the days, 50mm Hasselblad distagon lence, FARKING HELL, my house was worth less then!

In fact I carried in a bag in the early 80's, more $ in camera than the house! (Hourse VERY cheap then in Brisvegas)

Stiill - best photo's I've seen, with a poin and shoot.

"All in the eye" as a mentor used to say to me, all in the eye, if you see it, shoot it, if you don;t doesn;t matter what you have on a tripod or over your shoulder, you'll never take a great photo.

By the way - what photographers do people like here?

Australians, Ray Cook and Carl Warner obvious ones for me, though there are other good aussies too. The international obvious culprets like Mapplethorpe, Dorethey Lange, Witken, Penn for the perfect composition's, wigee for the eye and being there waiting

And the greatest of the all, who never held a camera, Roy B Striker, the man who made all the great 20's, 30's and 40's photographer's, gave them the chance, and created the styles that are so important to photography.

DOG

Archived