What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redbaron said:

Personally I could not dream of retiring in LOS unless I had a minimum income of US $10,000 per month

We're not all loaded like you JJ - to me $10K a month is a lot, to you I'm sure it barely covers the laundry. The OP was asking what a conservative lifestyle would cost, not what a bigshot throwing 1000Baht notes around like confetti would go through.

$10k a month and that makes one a big shot? Did u ever hear of a term called "risk"? Political risk in that country is huge, human rights are a joke and the value of a mans life is cheap. What happens if Thailand has a civil war, becomes anti-farang or has an economic meltdown? Your going to need a nice income to get your ass out of there and set up shop somewhere else. What if you get seriously ill with a malady that your health insurance does not cover and you have to fly to the States or Europe for frequent reatments, who is going to pay the bill?

What if your on aoension and the pension goes bust or the benefits get cut because of economic factors? You ever hear of something called "INFLATION", which is the enemy of people on a fixed income?

Now place all of those risks aside and I still want to 'LIVE" and have "FUN", not sit around everyday in some 3rd world backwater eating som tam, drinking cheap hooch,wearing flip flops, wearing clothes 10yrs out of style, remebering the last time I had a great steak and not knowing when I will have one again, scratching my balls, bitching about corrupt cops and looking at bootleg movies until I die.

Retirement cost serious money. Money provides opportunities and US $10k a month would be my minimum number. Yeah, I can live like a pauper on 40,000bt per month but that shit ain't fun. I can do that now but what the hell is the point? I didn't get a solid education and bust my ass in the corporate world to live an existence "Thai " style

How much you need will also depend on how long you are going to live.

60,000 baht a month maybe enough for you today but what about 5 or 10 years down the track?

I would think that tou would need in excess of 120,000 baht a month if you are still in your fifties.

Of course you could live on less but the whole idea of living in Pattaya would be for sanuk i guess so you need money for that and 60,000 wont go far.

Nervous_Dog said:

$10 000 a month in Thailand, ya gotta be joking, now I frequent some fine joints at the expence of others, but we're talking a lot of "what" to spend 10 K on?

Love to see a brak done on it.

I don't know about you but I spend more money when I am not working than when I do.

Now if you said 5K a month, and 500K - 1 M in researve, then that would make sence

DOG

Let's see if ur talking US$ then 5k per month with an additonal $500k-1m in reserve; assuming a measely 5% tax free return on the reserve sounds like an additianl income of US$ 2000- 4500 per month and an estimated total income of US$ 7000 to 9000 per month. Not too far off of my personal minimum.

Yep US$, I think going through $10K month after month in thailand, unless your rent was very hard, would be pretty hard and involve a lot of partying hard, to hard to do full time.

I think having a large reserve and spedning 5K a month would give most people a great lifestyle as long as the THai and uSA economies stay equvilant to what they are now.

8 years ago, 24 baht to the US$

DOG

Nervous_Dog said:

Yep US$, I think going through $10K month after month in thailand, unless your rent was very hard, would be pretty hard and involve a lot of partying hard, to hard to do full time.

I think having a large reserve and spedning 5K a month would give most people a great lifestyle as long as the THai and uSA economies stay equvilant to what they are now.

DOG

You really think spending $10k per month in Thailand is hard to do? Living in a luxury home, having a luxury car(Porsche, flagship Merc or BMW), eating comparable food that I eat now because I am not going to eat som tam everyday(imported food in LOS is expensive), traveling to SIN, USA or Europe to shop for your clothing and throw in a couple of mia nois(a man without an extra lady or 2 gets no respect) US$ 10k would not even cover the tab! Shit I have spent 40,000 bt partying in BKK for 1 night, wondered what the fuck I spent it on and then ran back tot he ATM the next night to take out more without hesitation. I have very large appetites.

You must be a family man, you got ur prioritites all screwed up!

8 years ago, 24 baht to the US$

Yeah but is the cost of items half of hwat they were 8yrs ago? Does my $ buy me twice the number of goods and services? I doubt it.

LOS is avery unhealthy place to live . all that inactivity ,sitting around in a hammock because its too hot and humid leads to bad health. greasy unhealthy food too .you go to an early grave.

how many thais get sufficient daily exercise with the minimum ?very few, thats why there is so much diabetes and early death because of it.

After a 3 week trip to LOS i have to spend 3 weeks when i get back to get my health back on track. i dont drink a lot and eat sensibly but its just a unhealthy place to live.

How do farangs live in BKK with all that filthy air ?

Well, Mr. CEO ? I think my radar detector senses a bit of a braggart here ? anyone agree? Personally, I don?t give rats ass if you can?t afford to drive your Porsche, Hummer 3 or reside in a penthouse or the Oriental should you decide to retire in the LOS. I think you missed the original posters question entirely - which I believe was what would be a minimum amount of retirement income needed to live comfortably in Pattaya?

Seems to me you just saw an opportunity here to flaunt your income (real or imagined?). I can assure the original poster that since he apparently already has his lodging expenses covered, he should be able to live quite comfortably on a couple of grand a month or less ? that is unless he plans on driving a Lamborghini Diablo?

ST

PS: Sure hope I never run into the likes of you as you have topped out on my BHBNC (big hat but no cattle) shit list. And, PLEASE don?t bore me with a response as to how well off you are and how much money you make. :neener:

[color:"blue"] :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eee said: I've been there many times but even with 2 short time and a long time per day I don't spend like many of you wrote in the column

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does anyone need to shag three different girls every day? I reckon anyone who does has a psychological problem!

[/color]

I am so glad somone else notice this writing. ::

I don't know anything about the pshc., but geez, when a man needs that much attention but he worries about the budget, I am speechless (unusual of me). No offense is intended to the original poster, I find it fasinating. :o

Jasmine

[color:"blue"]really think spending $10k per month in Thailand is hard to do? [/color]

No it is not and it does not surprise me.

Sushi, a person, perhaps can live on a $1500/month easily in normal circumstances. As a retiree though, I would make sure that there is room for $$$ to spend when one feels like it, also for inflation and unforeseen emergencies.

I agree with you about the reserve, and for me and Hubby, if we want to stay in Thailand, it will be at least $5,000/month which I doubt we can spend it all, but it is a good amount if we want to.

Hey, Thailand needs men with large appetite, it is good for the economy.

Archived