What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

You really think spending $10k per month in Thailand is hard to do? Living in a luxury home, having a luxury car(Porsche, flagship Merc or BMW), eating comparable food that I eat now because I am not going to eat som tam everyday(imported food in LOS is expensive), traveling to SIN, USA or Europe to shop for your clothing and throw in a couple of mia nois(a man without an extra lady or 2 gets no respect) US$ 10k would not even cover the tab! Shit I have spent 40,000 bt partying in BKK for 1 night

No, it wouldn't be hard to spend that kind of money anywhere, but that wasn't the OP's question now was it? I'm sure the OP wasn't after info on how you or I spend in LOS/US/anywhere else... he was after a conservative figure on what he would need to retire, and live a totally different life to the one you describe above.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi eee,

Your question is totally subjective. Subjective to what you require as a minimum standard of living, as you can see from all the responses here.

It ALL depends on what it takes to make you comfortable. And those standards are yours alone. Only you can know what that is.

15,000 baht a month will get you a single room apt. in town with a shower (no kitchen), room-mate paying half the rent, BTS pass to work 20 days a month, mobile phone, utilities, decent food every day, toiletries, etc., with enough to send some money back to your family ( :-) ).

But above is with NO vices. If you love cigarettes, booze, women (that you have to pay for), or any other vices, then add on accordingly.

Basic cost of basic living in BKK is very, very cheap by most Western standards. It's the booze and women that can kill you, in terms of spending. Niether are inexpensive, if doing all day. Which is what most tourists do when there, so don't use that as an indicator.

But what makes BKK really great, is that you can still have a really unreal experience there, for very little money. Which can't be said of a place like NYC. You'll never get a gorgeous whore and a beer there, for $20 US. But is possible in the land of smiles.

Your question can only be answered by you alone, and what your priorities are in life, and what you want to get out of it.

I, for one, would say to go for it. :)

PS.... can get me a job when 'I' come? Please........... :D

HT

eee,

You might keep a Plan B in mind. If you are retired in LOS, economic forces could work against you:

1. inflation - for the 12 months ending Sept, reported inflation in Thailand was 6%. Historically, it's usually been in the 1-2% range. If it were to continue, 6% compounded would be pretty disruptive.

2. exchange rate, as you point out - Many of us expect the USD to depreciate or, possibly, collapse. No one knows, but it is hard to see the dollar appreciating unless Asia has another 1997 deflation event, I suppose. Exchange rates are more volatile than inflation. One way to cope with this would be to convert two years worth of expense money into Thai Baht when you resettle there. If during the two years the rate becomes more favorable, convert more. That would at least buffer the effects of unfavorable rate moves. It would cost you in less interest earned, of course.

3. income security - Social Security benefits may be substantially reduced over time, either directly or through failing to keep up with inflation.

4. in LOS, you will be beyond the reach of Medicare.

As for your retirement passtimes, although I don't share your particular enthusiasms, I think it is admirable for you to know what you want and go after it. As for the economic risks, they mostly apply here in the US also. So LOS may be a reasonable bet. In any case, during a long retirement the world will change substantially and adjustments will certainly be required. Flexibility will be more valuable than ever. Expat retirees may have to relocate at some point to another country with a more favorable exchange rate, for instance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Khun Pad Thai

KhunPadThai,

Yea.......but we're talking about living in the land of Thai girl's.

Who the fuck cares about the financial aspects? We are all going to die at some point. While your dreaming about some green colored paper sitting in a steel cage, I'll be dreaming about the Nok and Noi double header I found in the most unreal place. :)

So who wins? .........I do 555555555555

HT

short-time said:

Well, Mr. CEO ? I think my radar detector senses a bit of a braggart here ? anyone agree? Personally, I don?t give rats ass if you can?t afford to drive your Porsche, Hummer 3 or reside in a penthouse or the Oriental should you decide to retire in the LOS. I think you missed the original posters question entirely - which I believe was what would be a minimum amount of retirement income needed to live comfortably in Pattaya?

Seems to me you just saw an opportunity here to flaunt your income (real or imagined?). I can assure the original poster that since he apparently already has his lodging expenses covered, he should be able to live quite comfortably on a couple of grand a month or less ? that is unless he plans on driving a Lamborghini Diablo?

ST

PS: Sure hope I never run into the likes of you as you have topped out on my BHBNC (big hat but no cattle) shit list. And, PLEASE don?t bore me with a response as to how well off you are and how much money you make. :neener:

[Removed - KS]I have no bragged about anything and it is evident that your post is laced with envy. I simply have different lifestyle views than you do. ND said that US$10k would be hard to spend in LOS I just merely showed him that it is not "hard" to spend that amount of money per month in Thailand.

Also I never "flaunted" my income. I never mentioned what my earnings are, you are just making assumptions. I can tell u that if u think a six figure income is something to brag about then I guess you have never made that amount.

I remember when I was in uni I thought US$ 50k was alot of money and I would be happy living on that, now I could never imagine how I could live on such a small amount comparative to my lifestyle. In other words once u make 50k, u want to make 100k then u want to make 500k and then a million and then 10million, etc. I am simply giving you a different perspective because chaps like you seem to think that a "comfortable" lifestyle in Pattaya is a couple of thousand US$ per month, when for others it does not even come near a minimum standard.

Some of you chaps seem to think that Thailand is stuck in some kind of time warp impervious to global economic forces and trends.

Maybe in your narrow view of the world you think that everyone can simple live on a minimum amount of money and call that "living" What is "MINIMUM" and "COMFORTABLE" to you may not be so for others

Last time I looked Pattaya also had million dollar homes and estates half of them empty because they are nothing but the vacation crash pads for expats. Do you really think that Pattaya is going to continue to stay a cheap pussy, booze and party destination for minimum wage retirees? With your limited forecasting skills you probably think it will.

Look at the new airport, migration of global corporations into the area, population increase and the simple fact that anything at or around a beach will eventually keep appreciating in value. The place has it's own economy supported by foreign dollars. Thais are going to realize that they have a golden area for international property development; clean up the joint and cater to the affluent retiree; not the guy that can only afford cheap beer a cheap room and cheap pussy every week.

In other words the inflation of the local economy will force those on limited income to move the fuck on.

Did it ever cross your mind that even though the OP said his place is paid for he may not have it or be able to afford it in the future? You ever hear of things like condo fees or property taxes? If he is in a condo I doubt his maintenance fees are capped for life or maybe the property manager goes bust. Maybe his place is not in his name and it can be taken from him? Maybe he marries a Thai chick in the future and she takes it from him? Maybe he gets caught in a expensive legal dispute? I can think of a scenario in which a single male expat is accussed of child molestation.

If the OP takes your financial guidelines of "live quite comfortably on a couple of grand a month or less" his ass will be living in a shack in some soi in the future.

You strike me as the sort that is envious of others.

[Removed - KS]

[Removed - KS]

[JJ, why do you always have to include these little personal snipes? Your arrogant attitude is really annoying. - KS]

There is some really interesting stuff on this site but this thread is just a joke surely? $10.000 a month?if you are monty burns or randolph hurst, but hey most of us are homer simpsons. Not difficult to 'waste' that much in a month, any fool can throw cash around and there are always plenty of thais to help the rich falang spend it. For myself I live on the about $1000 in the west, less in fact. Good job we don't all aspire to your extravegant ways. mr Short time is right I think, maybe you light your cigars with $100 bills?

For a Thai retirement visa,

correct age. over 50 or 55(?)

800K baht in a Thai bank or an income of 65Kbaht per month certified by Thai institution or letter from embassy.

For comfortable living, your mileage may very depending on your needs.

More info is available on other sites.

Chang

paul101 said:

There is some really interesting stuff on this site but this thread is just a joke surely? $10.000 a month?if you are monty burns or randolph hurst, but hey most of us are homer simpsons. Not difficult to 'waste' that much in a month, any fool can throw cash around and there are always plenty of thais to help the rich falang spend it. For myself I live on the about $1000 in the west, less in fact. Good job we don't all aspire to your extravegant ways. mr Short time is right I think, maybe you light your cigars with $100 bills?

Well I see some of u chaps want to take some shot because you can't appreciate a different perspective, so off come the gloves.

You live on US$ 1000 per month in the West? Your life must suck! How often do u get to LOS? Surely your income only allows you one 2 week vacation per decade?(assuming u don't have a gazillion frequent flyer miles or a financial trust that covers all of your expenses and thus you can "earn" $1000 a month and live well).

Seriously dude if you want to retire in Thailand or simply retire, I would suggest that you get out there and find a better job or source of income because at the rate your going you will eventually be living off of handouts.

Of course u could already be an 83yr old guy hooked up to life support in a hospital typing on his laptop waiting to go at any moment.

::

Archived