What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

shygye said:

[color:"green"] ND said that US$10k would be hard to spend in LOS I just merely showed him that it is not "hard" to spend that amount of money per month in Thailand. [/color]

But most of your spending was traveling to the USA to buy clothes. :grinyes:

LOL! Well I have to have nice clothes to keep attracting the lovely ladies! When you are an old man being well dressed can make all of the difference. Combine that with money in the pocket and one becomes a magnet. I consider myself a natty dresser. Isaan farmers style just does not cut it for me.

Materials and tailoring in BKK are not that great. Europe is stil the best place for fashion,tailoring and high end textiles. So shopping trips abroad in retirement are a must.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lazyphil said:

<<I choose not to tell or insinuate what I make/what I'm worth to others, especially people I don't know, lacks class IMO. >>

Lots of stuff here lacks class, telling all where one dumped his wad of cum last night for example, but everyone revels in that mucky talk here....lots of soggy kleenex around!

My favorites are the guys that want to stick their fingers in the girls cunny on stage or lick her snatch. Barfine her and go get a room I say!.

"...Anyone can tell u the minimum it will cost to live in Pattaya today but what you need to figure out what u need to live on a fixed income in the future.

I ascertain that you really have no clue and have very little foresight on your current and future needs as far as retirement planning.

Let me ask you a couple of questions u should ask yourself:

1. How secure is your pension? You do realize that pensions are not guaranteed and can go bust?

2. The money you count on from your business is nothing more than a projection/forecast. Do u have alternative means of income?

3. You do underastand that Social security is a government benefit and can be altered and changed in the future which means that your expected benefits are not guaranteed either?

4. How much cash do u actually have? How much in other investments?

5. How much medical coverage will you have? Along with supplemental coverage beyond the union benefits?

6. If Thailand does not work for you will you be able to return to the West financially solvent or are u stuck looking for cheap 3rd world locales?

8. Do u understand inflation and the facts that your income must outpace it?

7. How long do u expect to live? ..."

O.k. Whether JJ is full of shit or not, is another matter (I have my doubts, but I am full of shit, and I have never seen him at the meetings, so...) But... All bullshit lies, mutual admiration, braging and insults aside, these are very good points to consider. And JJ does admittedly have a point (Shit did I say that? that is 3 times in the last month! Who is typing this shit? :) ) You need to plan for as much as possible. No one can plan for everything, and something always comes up.

Obviously, a lot of "extra money" (is there really such a thing?)will fill any gaps left by lack of planning, for what ever emergerncy arises (no doubt how well you plan, something can always happen, wait, I said that already...).

A very good point about Pensions, I LOST MINE! Can and will happen to anyone at any time. Just about every airline will have to kill their pensions to compeate with us. Other industries will follow as well. Best not to count on them as a sole source of income. Like wise Social security, government really wants to mess with that...Bascially, I have 12 years to figure out how to make up the loss of pension income...this income made the difference of going at 55 Vs. 62 etc...and makes a difference in how well I will live, (Planning in LOS) if I go at one age Vs. Another...

The old rule was 3/4 of your working income, or so they told me...my father, case in point, retired on that plan, he was doing really well on his pension and Social security. Then Taxes soared, Medical soared even more, Fuel, heating fuel/Natural gas soared, keep in mind something like 80% of medical costs are on average in the last 2 years of your life... etc etc etc...bottom line is, his retirement income, though better than a working person's is not so great...never mind travel and perks, health and budgeting wouldn't allow it. Thank god he also has a military disability retirement/pension, or he'd be screwed...keep in mind he had to nearly die to get it, and it is now really taking it's toll on him.

Bottom line is, it is better to die having money than to out live your money. Plan all you can, save all you can, and figure you better still have a lot more! The cute trick I have been told is to write your last check on your last breath and have it bounce! :) I figure JJ has that covered... :)

You must be one of those people that pre-judge others by their income and occupation.

I'd like to think not.

Then you are full of crap and you don't even kow it. Actually I would not be surprised if you don't understand how clueless you are. I bet I can do a search of all 2500 posts on this board that you have made and I will come up with a nice profile that can discern your lifestyle, income and possible educational backgroound.

Go for your life. I'd be interested to know what you came up with. You seem to have the time.

Dude just back off because your starting to bore me and when I get bored I get annoyed easily. So let's play nice before we start getting the "flaming" warnings from the mods.

Good idea, would hate for this to get personal, if you ever want to discuss this over a few cold ones, send me a PM/email... if you have the time.

Hi,

"So let's play nice before we start getting the "flaming" warnings from the mods. "

You are getting one now. I am *seriously* annoyed by your attitude. It seems that you are very easy to 'take off the gloves' as you put it and start getting personal knowing full well that this is not done on this board.

I'd say you are very close to a ban.

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"So let's play nice before we start getting the "flaming" warnings from the mods. "

You are getting one now. I am *seriously* annoyed by your attitude. It seems that you are very easy to 'take off the gloves' as you put it and start getting personal knowing full well that this is not done on this board.

I'd say you are very close to a ban.

Sanuk!

Dude if u going to ban me then just ban me, save the warnings; it won't be the first time it has happend. I simply give my opinion on what i think the minimum is for retirement, then you have people coming after me accusing me of bragging and telling me I'm full of shit and that I must be throwing money around .

I didn't go after any one individually yet others have come after me individually, making it personal. No debate about the sums of money but rather casting aspersions towards my character or credibility. You chastize me but you don't chastize anyone else. So I find your "stance" just as annoying as you find my "attitude".

You tell me what side of fairness are you on?

Hi,

"I didn't go after any one individually"

You don't, eh? Let's see:

"Surely u lack reading comprehension skills"

"Your mind is so narrow."

"Then you are full of crap and you don't even kow it."

All of that to Redbaron. Some stuff to Short-Time as well, but I had already deleted those so can't quote you on that.

Sounds rather personal to me.

I think you problem is that which you accused Redbaron of "Your problem is basically you can't accept a differing view that does not identify with your cozy little world."

Finally as for the warning, I like to give people a chance to realize they are overstepping a boundary and clam down, before banning them. Guess in your case that effort is wasted, so maybe you should just chill out for a week or so.

Sanuk!

I like JJ's prsence on the board, he is an iconoclast, and that's good, at the same time, why deny his 10 000$ a month is to provoke people then? It clearly is, thailand is far from being the choice of destinations for affluent retirees (which 10K qualifies for, I don't mean posts :D).

as someone who rarely comments with a silver spoon in his mouth (seems he knows about the less nice, affluent aspects of living in the States) he knows very well that many people cannot dream of having this as retirement funds, still, can make do well, with far less. He talked of 10 000$ a month as a minimum? not sure what kind of debate there is to win here? ::

with all the time on his hand next week, i bet that's 12000 he'll be able to retire on! :D

Nevertheless, I will miss the "dude"-style posts, the board is not exactly the same without him.

127 nothing wrong with living in Thaoland on 10$, I know many expats on packages double that.

However they are also paying to live her and back home their wage would be nothing like that.

Keeping the wife and kids happy is hard work, seriously it is here, however a retiree isnt going to (hopefully) be still paying for kids (hence my vasectomy point at the beggining) so 10K IS a large amount to spend.

Yes there are exceptions, however MOST people dont have or need 10K a month to spend in retirment.

Think about 10K a month, 400 000 a month, k - you rent a mansion, 120 000, you have a hot car, 60 000, that leave 220 000 to spend, no matter if you eat well most nights, and most retirees aren;t into going out and kicking their heels up every night, the sum is silly.

OK to say that it's fine for yourself, you may have a lifestyle thats used to that like some,

However for the most of us, 5000 would be great, 3000 I think ok.

In Australia my mum is now mortgaged her house, the bet is on with the bank she'll die in 25 years, whatever happens, it gets sold, loan to bank paid back first, then she hopefully dies with zero money

DOG

Archived