What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

paul101 said:

Well it looks as if nobody agrees with your views and opinions.

What a funny BS conclusion.

I for one fully agree with him.

1K $ is a very low-end-of-the-foodchain monthly income, and there should be many a poster here earning 10K $ a month.

I know I do, I just dont feel the need to advertise it.

But I also know that I would never like to live in LOS like a pauper, to at least acertain a decent living, I would need a very strict min today of 2500 $, without housing, car and medical expenses. Plus having a decent capital for unforeseen circumstances.

BB

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one fully agree with him.

-----------------------------------

::

BB, your own conclusion, POV if you prefer, a reasonable 2500$, is quite different from 10000$. I would say, not in mood or argumentatively, but you disagree with JJ that below 10 000$ in unfeasable, and agree that 4 times less, as spending money monthly, is feasable. No?

Just for the fun of it I looked up median incomes in the US. Seems that the median for a family of 4 is around $65,000 and for a single male aroound $40,000. With that in mind I think it is pretty hard to think in terms of $10,000 a month to retire on. I agree it is important to have a sensible plan. But also to be realistic in terms of what one needs. There are those that are able to have a great life on a fairly low amount of money. As I have stated before the amount that constitutes "enough" varies a great deal from person to person. I have a comfortable but modest lifestyle. I assume that in retirement I will maintain the same. In terms of actual numers I think 60 -80-k baht per month with a reserve, and inflation adjustment will provide that for me. There are those that can do if for less and of course those that simply couldn't survive on it. But the notion of "needing" to have a huge number to retire or you are some kind of loser is just nonsense. We all have our standards and it varies greatly, but there are many ways to enjoy retirement and after the basics are covered the actual amount of money is a mute point.

Jasmine,

I would be interested in hearing as much as you care to say about how you are managing your retirement financially. I expect to retire in 5 - 10 years and am trying to develop a strategy for the uncertainties. Specifically, how do you deal with inflation? The stock market is the common answer, but with a high percentage of exposure there how would you cope with the long-term risk of a significant crash (such as 73-74, 87, or 2000-2002)? Or are you using real estate as the inflation hedge? Would you relocate to Thailand if the cost of living became too high in the US?

Khun Pad Thai

Quote:

Uthai said:

JJ is a prolific poster and I haven't seen him lose too many debates, in fact I can only recall of 1 instance when he did lose a debate. Web Page

Where did u drag up that old thread? LOL! I think I stated my point very well in that one.

Stated your point very well!!!!??? C?mon JJ, I won the debate and u know it. You took the FIFTH when your final reply was ? Don?t all Mexican chicks want to grow up to be nuns?

I hate to out you but do u see that little yellow S by name. It means I?ve paid to attend the game and I getting bored watching you using the same strategy and employing the same plays over and over.

It invariably goes like this. Someone will start a thread and you will take an opposite but very defensible position.Then you state your position in such a way that u know there will be a certain number of members that will reveal their insecurities. Once this happens then the fun begins, then KS will give a hint to cool things down, usually ignored, then a warning, then a ban, (glad it?s only a week this time).

I don?t provide a lot of content but I am a sponsor. You?re not a sponsor but u do add a lot to the board. So as a guy mostly watching from the grandstands?..Can u call a different play once in a while. It?s beginning to look like an American movie where after you watch the first 5 mins you already know the ending!!

One piece of great advise your gave was about the mortgage business and how with very little education someone can become very wealthy. I gave the same advice to a friend only last week. That advice is NO BULLSHIT.

You?re seriously thinking of taking a course on refrigeration?? Are u nuts, waste of time. Here?s a little advice if u want to do the handyman thing. Start learning some basic carpentry skills. When you can hang a door properly, do some molding correctly then u have a good foundation to move into other areas like electrical and plumbing. If you?re having a problem with your fridge then clean the lint that collects under the fridge. If that doesn?t correct the problem throw the old fridge away and buy a new one.

BTW, most chicks dig a guy with a few calices on his hands, they like that rough feel on their skin as opposed to guys with those baby soft metro sexual hands who are working in an office. ? ::

pattaya127 said:

BB, your own conclusion, POV if you prefer, a reasonable 2500$, is quite different from 10000$. I would say, not in mood or argumentatively, but you disagree with JJ that below 10 000$ in unfeasable, and agree that 4 times less, as spending money monthly, is feasable. No?

You might re-read my post and re-read the JJ's POV because you are making wrongs assumptions and conclusions.

BB

Munchmaster >Why does anyone need to shag three different girls every day? I reckon anyone who does has a psychological problem! <

Nobody mentions need. I don't NEED to, but sometimes, when the opportunity arises, I'd LIKE to.

Mind you not everyday if i were living in LOS. doing a 3x daily when i'm on a short visit will usually wear me out after a week.

There is one thing you all missed. I'm 60, retired because of medical reasons. My last heart attack costs ME nearly$182,000. But that also took my nookie out of the picture. I live in a modest home, owe $50,000 on it and it has a value of over $200,000. My income wouldn't cover most Guys bartab. I have anything I want except NOOKIE! I drive a late model Lincoln, and eat out about half the time. What you guys forgot, Mother Nature will slow your Nookie down, drastically after 60. Now it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night. About once every three months or so, the circus shows up and I chase down a girl for a few hours. After that, I send her home. I don't want to blow my budget on feeding her for another two to three months.

Jas - <<I do agree with you that most people with money never says much about it. >>

That's very true, but I am happy to brag about the 85 baht I have in my bank account, I am fursious the ATM doesn;'t give smaller than 100 baht notes,

I'd also like to grag about the size of y, well . . . you know, little fella, in fact he is a little falla, and I am proud to brag that i think I have the smallest on the board, at least that's what OH says coz he's seen plenty.

DOG ;)

I like JJ, but that was not a POV on the topic he talked about here, just a POV on what he wants to have, when retired, and he was amused that some of us might live on more modest means.

If it's about what we spend right now, in Farangland, here too, i never, nor never needed 10 000 a month to do by.

Maybe time for a poll, but I do not think the guys making 120 000$ a year are a vast majority on the board.

Archived