What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

Esteemed community !

Speculating about becoming old in Thailand or elsewhere leads to unrealistic results if you are fit, in good mood and not yet old.

I wonder how an aging westerner feels when the day comes and he needs permanent healthcare , might need a wheelchair , money running out and the Isaan family is kind of less enthusiastiac than at the time when the house was built. Whether in Siam or elsewhere : old people who need extra care are not popular any more ; you need to replace fitness by cash to buy whatever you need.

As a theoretical speculation I would estimate to buy a reasonably enjoyable time once the crisis comes at least 2500 USD a month would have to be available. Or about 3 to 4000 Baht a day. If you do not want to end up in a possible misery. Still talking about simple lifestyle in general.

Retiring at the beach in Pattaya would be about the very last thing on my agenda , but the problem stays the same anywhere. With the very big difference that in your beloved homecountry there is always somebody or somthing that deals with your problems in an acceptable way.

BuBi , when wisdom matters

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent point, and can you really enjoy things at the grand old age of 60+ like you can when you are youger?

earning potential aside, being in thailand when you are in your early 30's (as i am) is gold.

there are so many women who want to spend time with you, money or not, and this just isnt the case in farangland.

so do you work like a dog in the most enjoyable years of your life so you can retire comfortably (provided you dont die first)

or

do you party now and have fun but then get old and have very little to show for it?

its the eternal question. maybe if we all knew the time of our death we could relax and party like animals and not have to worry about the future.

or i guess you could spend everything partying and when you get to 50 odd and the your health isnt quite what it used to be just hang yourself klnowing you have lived when hell of a full life?

and

5) Modest. :elephant:

Having met you, I can attest to Fit and Slim, but not in a position to verify #3. :)

I agree with your predictions, as evidenced by the fact that many seem to return to farangland for their final days. I suspect that state-funded healthcare is one of the reasons. I do not think it is easy for foreigners to die while destitue in Thailand. Quite simply, there are no government-supplied free health or welfare services availble to foreigners, and for retired foreigners at least, once you can't come up with the 800K Baht in your bank account, you won't be getting 1 year visas anymore.

The 3k to 4k/day figure seems about right as a minimum., not counting healthcare costs.

as usual, we probably should define every syllabe of every word.what does Minimum mean? comfortable minimum? Dire straits, tied to the raft minimum? in a wheelchair? minimum 3,37kms outside of pattaya? minimum on 2nd Rd? In Issan? Chiang Mai? BKK? just for the Rolls Royce?

The question was simply about spending money, as i read it. Now, we're trying to kinda tell people "yes, but....". Thailand for us will always be a "yes, but..." country as i see it. The reason why whatever money I have, must give me the freedom to go and come as i wish. Stuck 12 months out of 12 in Pattaya, no way. I was in India and Burma last winter, each month there cost me 600 bucks, includes some flying. I was happy as if rolled in dough.

So for me, i would gladly give half of my possible spending money for relatively good health thru my 70s. that's worth a million $ to me. I intend to keep going places and stay active, if not in a physical way as i do now, being a contractor.

Rex, There are three states in the US that doesn't have STATE income taxes. Texas, Nevada and Florida. Florida is still that way for sure, but check on Texas and Nevada.

That will save you some if you can make your home residence in one of those three states.

packy said:

Rex, There are three states in the US that doesn't have STATE income taxes. Texas, Nevada and Florida. Florida is still that way for sure, but check on Texas and Nevada.

That will save you some if you can make your home residence in one of those three states.

Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax (though there have been determined efforts to establish one), however they do have one of the highest consumer sales tax rates in the country.

Yes Pattaya 127. Minimum is the key word here. As I stated I have a condo which is paid for. The amount originally posted 2 to 4 grand per month including my social security later. I will have that for my travels, medical,food,booze and YES Entertainment!!!! From the posts I gathered that it is possible to retire there now. As for a couple of years down the road, it is up to the Thai economy. If the exchange rate between the USD and the Thai bht changes drastically I might have to change my ways....Entertainment. Thank you all. Hope to have a cold one with you soon. chok dii eee

Hope to have a cold one with you soon

---------------------------------------

hey, if it's to be LEO beer, thanks, but get a job or get out of town!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

My prospective minimum imcome will fortunately allow me to drink Chang (kouat yai), maybe Singha Gold on Xmas day, but Heineken will strictly be out of my means. I will just have to look at BB sipping a real cold expensive imported beer thru the window from the street, hoping he may recognize me before the bouncers machetes drive me away, wandering aimlessly like a desperate down and out Boudu, soul and body!.....Hey, wasn't that JJ wheezing by in his Porsche?!?!?

re- :D :D :D :D :D :D

pattaya127 said:

..Hey, wasn't that JJ wheezing by in his Porsche?!?!?

re- :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nah,

Just one of the upmarket Beach Road girls trolling for customers....555555

Snagged a couple fumb ducks as sponsors and invested wisely, probably got a nice Condo as well.....LOL...

Ahh, must be almost time for a drink....

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer:

Archived