What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

Wow, JJ, dude :)

You have everything covered, haven't you.

Nice to hear your thoughts about it and good for you.

I'm quite the opposite.

I do save money though (regardless the amount) for my older day. Sometimes it's much sometimes it's little, I don't worry much about the future.

As long as I can drink and eat what I feel like, buy what I need and do/travel where I please AND save money then it :up: for me.

If I can't do the above then I will move back to the West and continue my life there.

As for pinpointing the possible problems in detail and covering those with plan A, B, C.. that's too much for me. I simply do not really care that much. Call me stupid but that's just the way I wish to live. To each his own.

I roughly estimate my needed money and simply hope my calculations were somewhere near the right location.

In the meantime I'll try to enjoy my life every single day.

:beer:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"My issue was that I was the only one "threatened" with a ban."

Because in my eyes you were the main problem in the thread.

"Whatever happend to "hey guys knock it off"?"

If warnings like that get ignored (and 'knocking it off' for a couple of hours or day max does not count) then what other options do I have left?

As for giving singling you out, have a good look at the posts after your final post before the ban. There were a couple of posts attacking you / your position, all of them were edited / deleted.

Futhermore, more often that not it is you who causes the problems not because you have the different view (and are usually very strongly supporting it), but mainly because you often refuse to look at things from any other angle.

As for the permanent ban, I would hate to do so as you do tend to liven up a discussion (especially since you usually take the counterpoint), but I would suggest you not tempt me.

Nobody on this board is so vital to it that I would not ban him / her if they cause me more time / headache than I am willing to accept.

Sanuk!

Zaad.

You make sense to me in your thinking and response to jj. I'd qualify too , to mr. sushi, my response was not that of a financial simpleton, exactly, rather someone trying to offer a single pointer to somebody looking to retire :dunno:

I've just realized living here that no matter what my lifestyle is I'm inclined burn lots of cash going overseas for travel, holiday, and mucking around in distant places and wouldn't give that up.

Some of your points are often valid jj, but not everyone wants to live in fear of financial markets and spend their time monitoring their finances. For some its just a bore :( others its the joy of their life "making money".

You are obviously into the mentality of money making happiness in your idealogy - truly a die-hard capitalist. I don't subscribe to that mentality and I wouldn't need, nor spend, 10,000US a month in Thailand with a place to live, car, and whatever else taken care of - in the near future. I'm not discussing inflation.

That sort of spending is just not me and has nothing to do with whether I'm happy. I don't think about money much at all. I think 'bling' is digusting and no desire to show material wealth as a symbol of my success.

If I had the cash you would need to 'retire' monthly it would be excess, and I'd give it something charitable - help others. Excess is fine, but its a choice. That said you market points are valid and basically the ideas that are floating around in Bloomberg, Economist, and everything else for the last 2 years about Asia rising. The rest is all in those self-help books for people planning for retirement in the West with old white guys on the cover.

Cheers,

the_numbers

P.S. - Third-world is not really a valid term its so dated and condescending in the Wallerstein-ian age of state building. I think its fair to call Thailand a developing economy.

JJ, your itemized long answer (which would have been perfect at the beginning of the thread, without finger-pointing at anyone here) seemed to respond to very precise points where members would have shown stubborn cluelessness. I think you put thoughts in our minds here.

Few said what is true today is true tomorrow, few said they have it all figured out, we just answered according to the most possible scenario in our personal case.

Some great points there jj, and I agree with each and every one of them.

As I said earlier, not many people (I guess) can look forward to $US10k a month in retirement. I think down here the government old age pension is about 10% of that, although it will be 0 when I retire or when I am old enough to claim it. (It is 65 now, will be 70 soon... I am 31).

My original point was that not many people could look forward to this kind of money, and thus must plan on getting less... I think the original poster was after a much more "average" sum if you know what I mean.

I know a guy whose pension is 40-60k (baht) a month (can't remember the exact figure), and he comfortable lives on half this amount, including looking after his GF, her family, return trips home and medical insurance etc. He doesn't live in a big city, and doesn't indulge in nightlife, pretty much relaxes most of the time, but does have an "emergency fund" for if the shit hits the fan.

(Food for thought for the OP if he's still reading).

Zaad said:

I'm quite the opposite.

I do save money though (regardless the amount) for my older day. Sometimes it's much sometimes it's little, I don't worry much about the future.

As long as I can drink and eat what I feel like, buy what I need and do/travel where I please AND save money then it :up: for me.

If I can't do the above then I will move back to the West and continue my life there.

As for pinpointing the possible problems in detail and covering those with plan A, B, C.. that's too much for me. I simply do not really care that much. Call me stupid but that's just the way I wish to live. To each his own.

I roughly estimate my needed money and simply hope my calculations were somewhere near the right location.

In the meantime I'll try to enjoy my life every single day.

:beer:

Thats the irresponsability of youth speaking here..... :(

One thing you do know today is that you will get old, unless unforeseen circumstances.

And that you will need money, cos the government aint gonna pay fer ya.

Saving money is lost money. You might as well spend it.

If you just 'save' and put it in the bank, you are plainly loosing money.

Compare intrest and inflation.

Better to invest in bonds, stocks or shares, at least your vapital will make more than the inflation.

Is that not the whole point ?

And going back to the west as a solution ?

Higher living costs and no jobs ..... good luck to your (lack of) plan.

BB

BB, I don't know how the poster zaad is "mr. reckless youth" because he threw in a line that if washed up he might go back to his homeland.

I think its understood that when most people say "move back to the west" it implies that they need to get a proper job, exhausted their funds here, or for some reason need to make a higher wage after wasting years in LOS :dunno:

Sometimes, people in retrospect realise the years here were not well spent :eek: in terms of building a resume, savings, and/or useful skills. Outside of knowing which bar is "showing" this week and the exact hours of a Cathouse Happy Hour. Useful skills but in a different way :grinyes:

I will say that as a younger fellow one is in a better position returning to the Western job market than an older one. The fact is if you are an old fella in his 40's-50's deciding to go back hiring is tight now, and lots of contracts are very short without great benefits even for young grads. International Herald Tribune had a good editorial about it a few days ago discussing the death of the American middle class for the umpteenth time.

Hit on good points about the auto industry and airlines :cussing: screwing their employees.

cheers,

the_numbers

JJ,

Just a note to say that your viewpoint is extremely welcome from my point of view. Keep up the good posts.

I too see why you think you were singled out -- but in the interest of not digging up old shit will not elaborate.

Anyways, like I said good to hear your take on things.

SuziB

Archived