What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

bonna7 said:

JJ: The words "get by" and "survive" applies to a person living in a western country. While 2000 $ aint a lot, it is enough to get a decent place to live, eat well and spend some money on leisure every month, as long as you are able to find an appartment that doesn't cost too much. (should be possible if you compromise a bit and move out of the CBD) Now, i actually lived on that amount in Oslo, Norway, which last time i checked are only surpassed by Tokyo and Osaka in living costs. How much it costs to live in the U.S (where the average income is substantially lower than in Norway) i do not know, but it should be possible to have a decent life anyway. Correct me if i am wrong on this one.

$2000 take home a month in the USA? Unless you live in Montana or utah that is what I would call scraping by. make that in a coastal city and you are damn near in poverty. You would have a subpar standard of living.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pattaya127 said:

Say a TG accuses you of rape or even worse say you are accussed of being a pedophile and someone attempts to shake you down for hush money? It has happend you know.

--------------------------------

Not sure this is something in realtion to retirement, maybe living in LOS, but a bit far-fetched to think up a reasonable amount including this. Might as well not spend more time there than the usual vacation.

You are a foreigner living in a foreign land, that makes you a target. Many people severely underestimate legal issues or expenses. I guess if you have never been sued before or been involved in some sort of nuisance suit then you would not think about legal issues. What would you do if someone planted dope on you or accused you of being a pedophile in Thailand? How about you do a hit and run but it was clearly your fault? On your fixed income can you afford a good lawyer or to pay bribes?

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Jezus, JJ, what's next? Preparing for a nuclear holocaust?

Sanuk!

LOL! Don't think it can't happen! With India and pakistan on one side, China and North Korea on the other and Japan having the capability of developing their own. Poor litle thailand would be the beneficiary of some radioactive fallout.

I have to say that I agree with JJ on just about all of his points. My monthly budget isn?t quite $10,000, but I know it soon will be. And I also know the budget is only going to go higher in the future.

Although, I can?t remember if the recent report of 6% inflation in Thailand is ?headline? or ?core? inflation, either way, it makes a very important point.

It wouldn?t be me, but maybe someone can be happy today with a $2,000 per month budget. They need to understand that if core inflation should average 6% for the next 10 years or so, their $2,000 per month budget just became a $4,000 monthly nut to crack. (Rule of 72) Think about what you were doing 10 years ago? It?s not that far away, is it?

It?s difficult to know just how to describe other ?expert? posters saying that they are avoiding risk by keeping their money ?safe? in a bank. These posters need to realize that the biggest risk is not taking a risk. As Thalenoi pointed out, these posters are losing money while thinking they are safe.

When I was young, I too thought investing was silly; I was young and had a lot of time to save for the future. As things turned out, at an early age I started stashing money in investments as a tax shelter without really knowing what I was doing. A few years later I happened to open one of my statements instead of just tossing it in a drawer as I usually did, and I was shocked at how much the money had grown. Right then, I decided to start learning about investing.

Learning how to invest with appropriate risk is easy to do; it only takes a few hours a week. If one can?t afford purchasing books, go to the library! Don?t have a lot of money to start? Many mutual fund accounts can be started with only a couple thousand dollars. If one doesn?t have $2,000, think about keeping the money in a money market account while studying the books. It?s easy!

I view my investment activities as a second job, and take it very seriously. But unlike working for a company, with personal investing *I* make all the profits! *I* decide where to assign my resources, *I* decide how much risk to take, and *I* reap all the benefits.

We all agree with JJ that 10 000 is very good, rest assured. Just that i am not to hang myself, because i have a fourth of this amount, heck, most likely a fifth at best.

As a general comment, reading the board, knowing a few, doesn't seem to make him or anyone more or less happy. I think the well-off ones should understand this is what we, less endowed retirees, are about. Enjoy life in the next 30 years as we did the last ones, even though we never drove a Porsche and dressed in Italy.

Guest lazyphil

i've said it before its all relative, 10k pm is parrot feed to some, unreal to others like me and you........ :: everyone has a budget and cuts the cloth accordingly.

BB,

Have you considered investing in property in LOS ?

My sister in law does.....

Her first appartment she bought 5 years ago at 260K Bt, rent is 6K per month, value today is 500K.

She buys a new one each year now.....

And we might do the same later this year.....buying beachfront property down in Hua Hin.

I do have some investments here in BKK.

The land alone has increased to app. 400K excluding the house.

The house is being expanded with another huge room and renovated as we speak.

On top of that we have a dental clinic (needs renovation as well though).

Oh.. and once that's finished I'll be putting a banner here on the site to see if I can lure enough nana-members to the clinic in order to grant myself an early retirement.

:)

I'll see if I have time to read a book or two about the other things we discussed. Can't do much harm.

pattaya127 said:

... i am not to hang myself, because i have a fourth of this amount, heck, most likely a fifth at best...

That's not hard to believe ? I understand most LOS retirees that live longer than their money opt for the Pattaya condo dive. It's much quicker, and one can enjoy the view on the way down.

Being poor is not a virtue. I?ve been poor, and it sux.

Archived