What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

"Enjoy life in the next 30 years as we did the last ones, even though we never drove a Porsche and dressed in Italy. "

Grandfather called last week... Received on a SINGLE DAY and adressed to beloved but turbulent Randomshots 13 car linked tickets!!! Just give up more and more driving. Too bad, german cars are nice toys. I'll just spend a bit more in italian suits...

Anyway JaraGuruDev nails it right IMO:

"Beeing poor is not a virtue. I've been poor and it sux"

Random, hopefully about to start real estate.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Whether he admits it or not, a man has been brought up to look at money as a sign of his virility, a symbol of his power, a bigger phallic symbol than a Porsche".

--Victoria Billings

Or

The only thing wealth does for some people is to make them worry about losing it.

------Antoine de Rivarol

Maybe

My riches consist not in the extent of my possessions but in the fewness of my wants.

------J. Brotherton

And lastly

Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.

-----James F. Byrnes

Being poor is not a virtue. I?ve been poor, and it sux.

--------------------------

never been poor, and never made 10 000 $ in amonth. Maybe we can avoid ping-ponging from higher sum to lowest one. Not really the topic, IMO.

Poor is not being able to pay your bills/rent constantly, not being able to have bills! Amonst other things.

No argument, being poor sucks. However, $1500+/month in Thailand can't seriously be considered poor by me when I live on that much in the States. Oh, and I live on the west coast of the States.

Besides,

To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.

----Bertrand Russell

Like JaiGuruDev, I have been planning and investing for retirement for many years. Investing is indeed a second job taking much time per week. My boomer peers have mostly not done this and will end up bitter and poor. Retiring to a cheap country like Thailand is an excellent way to reduce long-term expenses, as long as the exchange rate remains favorable. If it doesn't, then the retiree expats will have to move on to somewhere else. Learning to be satisfied with less will be a part of most people's retirement program, whether they like it or not. Best to make a virtue of it, but frugality won't make up for the lack of planning and investing. Retirement is the most expensive purchase in our lives, with huge uncertainties.

For my part, I have been lucky with some investments and have a fighting chance. Even so, I continue to work at a job that I would happily leave in a heatbeat. While I could retire to Thailand now under some scenarios, continuing to work is the best hedge I have against inflation, a secular bear market, default of Social Security, rising health care costs, etc. Were I to quit now I would truncate my highest earning years, a loss that I would not be able to replace later.

Two ways to ensure misery in your old age:

1. neglect to plan for retirement

2. insist on the high life style to which you are entitled.

Khun Pad Thai

If someone has to work their ass off for years, at a job they don't thoroughly enjoy so that they can have the $10K per month they think they'll need in retirement, I think they lost the plot somewhere along the line.

Say you could retire now at 50 years old and have $3,500 per month or work another ten years and at 60 have $7,000 per month or another ten years to save/invest enough for $10K per month retirement at 70 what would you do? Most people don't know when to pull the plug on working and as they keep improving their lifestyle it means just that much more they need to save/invest to continue that lifestyle after retirement.

At 40 that $3,500/ month would have sounded great. At 50 (near my age) $3,500 doesn't sound that great anymore $7,000/month sounds great but I will need to work 10 more years. At this rate when I hit 60 $7,000/month ain't going to sound so special either. Easy to lose the plot.

You guys make me realize i have been living the past 7 years (and a few before) as semi-retired. at least 4 months of the year is spent abroad, I work pretty much at my leisure, save a few intense weeks, now is 9.55 AM, "OK, Mom, I am going, OK!" ::.

To each his own, but I can die tomorrow, no FUCKING regrets! And i ain't dying tomorrow, and I ain't poor! Will never be rich or riding over a nice stash, that's all. Big deal!!!!!!!!!!!! ::

P127,

that's a choice, at least if you live on low means but take all time to enjoy it's fine, especially if you don't expect the ones working harder to share, which you don't seem to. Fair enough as well - although I might be only personnally making that point-enough people take a high floor dive or a car in the face or a disease before getting too old and it sucks to have worked your ass off in the intend enjoy mellow old days if you're coming to an abrupt younger end.

About talking of extreme incomes, I really see a lack of vision there. You and other seem to consider 10grants a month like a very high figure... damn low if you ask me and I'd prolly go into serious depression if had to work again for this kind of income. Not working might be different though

Really a matter of choice of lifestyle, strongly recommended would be finding an exciting and well paying occupation. I kindda have although nothing compared to wholesaling weapons and hard drugs. Don't mingle too close with the icons... Finance and IT people as well tend to impress me, they suceed grossing huge amounts that dwarf my whole industry activity. Not sure how you guys feel when you think about Bill Gates, I feel dizzy.

Anyway enjoy Thailand and remember the more money the easier pussy when you get old and be generous to the gals, deepthroathing is an art you should properly sponsor.

Random, rob the poor

Archived