What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

well, lower means, not low means. AS for 10K being a high or still a low, still comes down to personal choices towards what we need to spend and buy to be content.

Background too, maybe. someone born into wealth, keeping it up with his own income may sure want to stay up with it, as well as someone from very trying beginnings but having pulled himself up royally, never want to have to be frugal anymore.

I am pretty much in the middle, family neither poor nor rich, the greatest gift my parents gave me was unconditionnal love, plus the show of unconditionnal love between the 2 of them, all the education I needed or wanted, plus the certainty that happiness is not based on calculations. And i forget (actually i don't), fabulous genes! I believe i am worth a few million dollars actually. Buddha dollars! ::

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"blue"] well, lower means, not low means. AS for 10K being a high or still a low, still comes down to personal choices towards what we need to spend and buy to be content.

Background too, maybe. someone born into wealth, keeping it up with his own income may sure want to stay up with it, as well as someone from very trying beginnings but having pulled himself up royally, never want to have to be frugal anymore.

I am pretty much in the middle, family neither poor nor rich, the greatest gift my parents gave me was unconditionnal love, plus the show of unconditionnal love between the 2 of them, all the education I needed or wanted, plus the certainty that happiness is not based on calculations. And i forget (actually i don't), fabulous genes! I believe i am worth a few million dollars actually. Buddha dollars!

[/color]

it is really how we feel about things and "hapiness" itself can come with little or no money. I think you are a lucky man P127. I admire people who knows what happiness is without throwing money around.

It has been almost 2 years now that Hubby and I took our retirement and such a wonderful life we have found.

For me, if I live in Thailand and with our habits, $2000 is MORE than enough and in fact, we probably have to look around for things to spend money on. :)

Jasmine

To apply for a retirement "visa" in Thailand (not really a visa, but an extension to a Non-Imm O), you need to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. I use this for my expenses during the year, and top it up when it is time to renew. I find I can get by quite easily on 800,000 for the year, without stinting myself in any way. Go out to the bars most nights, but don't have a live-in girlfriend. I don't, however, have to pay rent as I have bought my own condo (maintenance fees 7,000 baht per year), so you may need to add rent to my above figure (guess around 12,000 a month depending on your needs). Also I live in Pattaya, which is a lot cheaper than BKK.

Hope this helps.

eyebee said:

To apply for a retirement "visa" in Thailand (not really a visa, but an extension to a Non-Imm O), you need to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. I use this for my expenses during the year, and top it up when it is time to renew. I find I can get by quite easily on 800,000 for the year, without stinting myself in any way. Go out to the bars most nights, but don't have a live-in girlfriend. I don't, however, have to pay rent as I have bought my own condo (maintenance fees 7,000 baht per year), so you may need to add rent to my above figure (guess around 12,000 a month depending on your needs). Also I live in Pattaya, which is a lot cheaper than BKK.

Hope this helps.

eyebee,

Good post and good numbers.

Where do you pay your insurances and life & health insurance ? in your homecountry ?

Do you travel ? is that included in the 800K as well ?

Basically, I think your 800K does not caver all your needs, or does it ?

BB

and with our habits, $2000 is MORE than enough

------------------------------------------

We have to start you getting to the bars, jaz! The bells above the counters is the polite way to say hello to everyone around.... :D :D :D

Seriously, I do not go out to the bars that much, i'd venture there will be less and less nightlife outing as i grow older, and especially, live there more often.

I have to agree with BB, any plan has to include extraneous expenses, like traveling home and visit family, for example, without depending on their generosity like a bummed out uncle/brother. That's why my main concern is planning something from the POV of France residenceship, not Thailand.

Larry King once told a listener that it would be much harder for him (Larry) to live on 35K a year than it would be for the listener, because for him (Larry) it would represent one hell of a cut, whereas for that particular listener, it would represent one helluva raise. a good point, and no, he was not being facetious.

Someone can make a good point, but feel he is not being taken seriously, because, unbeknownst to his pea brain (and this is NOT for Pattaya 127, I'm just responding in the space below), he's made his otherwise good points in such an obnoxiously snot-nosed maner that everyone else would rather stick the red poker of Satans hell up their ass than acknowledge the otherwise-good advice the snot-nosed poster has given. One or two of the posters in this thread sort of fit this description.

You have got a good point there and I quite agree.

However sometimes posts are read out of context, due to the mentality of the reader.

In other words, the reader would rather interpret the message as being delivered in a snot-nosed manner (even if it isnt) because they for some reason, would rather stick the red hot poker of Satans hell up the writers asses than agree with what he has said.

Returning to the original question. I have limited experience of Thailand and bow to those that know more about it, but the American attitude to living cheaply in the sun usually means the Third World. There are loads of places in Europe that you can live in cheaply (Spain, Greece, Malta, South of France) and -- in the era of the cheap flight -- you can get around quietly quickly if you want a change of scene.

I intend to rent out the place I own and live abroad for a good part of the year and the spend the rest here in the UK using a small apartment I intend to build nearby. As a rule of thumb I reckon that I could live fully on the rent I gained from the rent of the house (in the third world at least) -- although I would probably do a bit of computer-related work to gain some extras and keep my brain alive.

People say that a life spent on holiday is hell on earth and I've seen people turn in to bar fly mush when it becomes full time. Women and go-go bars are great, but few people really want to live their life entirely around cheap one night stands. The gloss soon wears off.

Before I would decide to settle anywhere in the Third World you have to know yourself. How are you going to act to things going wrong? Whatever the propaganda says things are more flaky generally and the level of health care is basic. I would want to have a yearly check-up and dentistry done by my regular people.

I bet in the age of teleporting (as if!) most people would live where they are now and Star Trek in on an evening or at weekends. Yes Thailand has some lovely things about it -- but you are still living in a third world country with all the problems that entails.

Respect to those that live there full time, but I want the best of both worlds.

I was taken by another poster saying they travelled around while being based in BK. That sounds about right. Try and make the best of your retirement -- it isn't just a waiting room for death. If you handle the income you get in life right and are careful to get value for money you can have a great retirement. However I look around and see people trying to buy houses they can't really afford, drive cars they can't really afford, living on credit cards and buy-now-pay later schemes. They won't be able to have their day in the sun -- they'll be still paying off their debts!

Archived