What's the minimum money needed to retire in LOS

eee

Well Well. The only thought that comes to mind is "a fool and his money are soon parted" I think jjsushi has some real issues. I think as is usually the case with people with money, they cant imagine life without it. They have lost all perspective on many aspects of life. 90% of americans could not get up $10,000 in cash. That is reality.

Those that are lucky can piece together some sort of retirement plan, and the really lucky ones can do it in a place like LOS. For the most part once the basics are covered money can in fact be an insulator from having a quality life. For the most part the more you spend the less you experience.

I can recall in my uni days hitching across the western US to visit my family. I was near yellowstone and I walked over to a small dairy queen to get a cone. I was sitting at the picnic table just taking in the surrounding beauty of the small town nestled in the mountains. It was a stunningly beautiful day. Then up pulls a huge RV. Out steps a family of four. Mom dad and two kids. The all looked really blank and a bit bored. They ordered their ice cream and immediatly go back into the RV closed the door and sat there blankly eating them. It was clear they were spending 10x the money to be there that I was. But yet they where completely insulated from the surroundings. At first I felt really bad for them. But then I realized that it was great that they where sealed up in that hermeticaly sealed tin can. It prevented them from contaminating place.

Their money was clearly diminishing their experience.

The point I am making is that life is about experiences. And even though one can always spend more, there is clearly a point of diminishing returns.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt there are more than a handfull of expats living in LOS on the vast amount you aspire to. This may surprise you but life does not have to suck living on small amounts, many muti millionares were miserable sons of bitches and lottery winninings often bring little real, lasting joy into peoples lives. Do you really need so much? of course not, but you want that much for whatever reason, maybe you would just feel insecure without your pockets stuffed full of cash? The consensus seems to be $10.000 is a great deal more than anyone really needs to live in LOS. I see you don't list what you would spend it on, $1000 for a ST maybe? why not if you can afford it!

Vegas,

You are missing the entire point of JJ's argument. Whether JJ is bragging, spends as much as he claims, makes as much as he claims, who knows and who CARES. There are people that have that much money to spend and they can and do spend that much living in Thailand. There are Thai's that earn and spend that much in Thailand.

Yes, you are correct, 90 % of people in the USA do not have $10,000 to spend each month. So do u only want to hear from the 90% or isn't it better to hear 100% of perspectives???? Doesn't hearing all the possible perspectives make for a far more interesting debate?

At least when JJ lays out his perspective he does it in a way that is logical and makes u Think.

JJ is a prolific poster and I haven't seen him lose too many debates, in fact I can only recall of 1 instance when he did lose a debate. Web Page

Many of you have crystallized my thought eloquently. I simply asked how much funds needed to live in Pattaya....minimum!!!!!!!!! Jasmine. Have you read my follow up post? Many mongers indeed do it with mulitiple girls a day. I don't intend to when I move to Thailand though. Don't need to because????? You are in it!! chok dii.. eee

"...Yes, you are correct, 90 % of people in the USA do not have $10,000 to spend each month. So do u only want to hear from the 90% or isn't it better to hear 100% of perspectives???? Doesn't hearing all the possible perspectives make for a far more interesting debate?..."

As I am in the 90%, No, I want to hear what is relative to me and my means. I wouldn't mind hearing how I can have more with work/investing etc, but the bottom line is 10K a month is approximately 2.5 Times the average yearly income for a working American (not sure on current stats) and I fall into the high end of average wage earners. So when Planning my retirement, I have to do so based on what I have, not what someone else has, or considers minimum...

Guest lazyphil

Its all relative, you are aware jj, I'm sure, a peasent compared to some people who sit high above you in the food chain, you quite clearly have rattled a cage here with you telling NP your expenses/needs. If the average Thai were to be able to read the posts here of how we are willing to spend 2k baht a night on a girl for 3 weeks plus hotels, beer, flights etc they would find it as strange and incredible as some find jj spending habits.

Uthai said:

Yes, you are correct, 90 % of people in the USA do not have $10,000 to spend each month. So do u only want to hear from the 90% or isn't it better to hear 100% of perspectives???? Doesn't hearing all the possible perspectives make for a far more interesting debate?

At least when JJ lays out his perspective he does it in a way that is logical and makes u Think.

JJ is a prolific poster and I haven't seen him lose too many debates, in fact I can only recall of 1 instance when he did lose a debate. Web Page

Let me clarify things a bit. First off it isnt that 90% dont have $10,000 a month to spend, what I was saying is that 90% can not get their hands on $10,000 period. Now they may have equity in thier homes ect but cannot access it.

I have no issues with hearing 100% of anything, I prefer it. I have nothing agaist JJ or his lifestyle or earnings good for him.

What I am saying is that his perspective like all of ours is skewed by his personal situation. I think it is certainly the case that those with to little money are limited in their options. I also feel that too much money can also limit ones options. I know I will get flamed for that one but so be it.

Having to much money and always looking to it to resolve problems has a very limiting quality to it.

More is better does not always apply. If one where to apply some of JJ's economics there there would be just a handful of expats in LOS. Clearly there are many differnt ways to retire there sensibly. I think where JJ is missing something is that it is not a set amount of money that is needed. When asked how much money does one need I think the answer should be "enough" Taking into account all of the logical needs of each person, "enough" can have a huge range. I have no argument with the basics of his logic, but I do feel that he also lacks a certain perspective caused by the insulor nature of money.

paul101 said:

I doubt there are more than a handfull of expats living in LOS on the vast amount you aspire to.

Take a survey and then let me know, otherwise you are merely speculating and guesstimating. Never knew 10k a month was a vast sum of money. Maybe u forget I am not Thai so I would not live as a Thai.

This may surprise you but life does not have to suck living on small amounts, many muti millionares were miserable sons of bitches and lottery winninings often bring little real, lasting joy into peoples lives. Do you really need so much? of course not, but you want that much for whatever reason, maybe you would just feel insecure without your pockets stuffed full of cash?

Sorry bud but $1000 per month living in the West plain out and out sucks and u can't convince me otherwise. So how often do u get to Thailand on your $1000 per month income?

The consensus seems to be $10.000 is a great deal more than anyone really needs to live in LOS.

The consensus sucks too. The only people that take comfort with the consensus is "the consensus". Weak argument you can do better surely.

I see you don't list what you would spend it on, $1000 for a ST maybe? why not if you can afford it!

I think I laid out numerous ways one can spend $10k a month in previous posts. Pay attention and stop asking about what was already stated!

You claim u live on $1000 per month or less in the West How do u spend your $1000 per month in the West? I think that is more interesting than the current topic. I am sure other would love to know so that they can cut their expenses and boost their retirement funds.

vegasdave49 said:

Well Well. The only thought that comes to mind is "a fool and his money are soon parted" I think jjsushi has some real issues. I think as is usually the case with people with money, they cant imagine life without it. They have lost all perspective on many aspects of life. 90% of americans could not get up $10,000 in cash. That is reality.

I guess people such as Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are fools too? Our global economy and YOUR current lifestyle here in the States is built on the profit motive. So please unless you live in a self sustaining commune that produces and consumes its own goods and services, spare me the I "have real issues" comments. I really don't care if 90% of Americans can't raise 10k in cash. That is not my reality. 90% of Americans can't even tell you what their tax revenues are spent on nor do they hold their elected leaders accountable. 90% of Americans have non-essential debt and attempt to live beyond their means. 90% of Americans can't set a clock on a VCR. 90% of Americans could not tell you the difference between a defined contribution and a defined benefit plan. 90% of AMericans don't understand insurance policies/vehicles nor do they read the fine print yet they pour billions into them. 90% of Americans ares saps or suckers.

So that 90% average argument you propose is kind of silly and has no real merit.

For the most part once the basics are covered money can in fact be an insulator from having a quality life. For the most part the more you spend the less you experience. . .

The point I am making is that life is about experiences. And even though one can always spend more, there is clearly a point of diminishing returns.

Pure poppycock! Money is notjing more than a tool. It can provide one with the means to create freedoms, opportunities and experiences.

Your confusing money with "lifestyle" choices.

You have let your obvious prejudices against those with more money than you cloud your perspective. I catch myself doing the same thing at times when I deal with people who have obscenely more money than I do.

Uthai said:

Where did u drag up that old thread? LOL! I think I stated my point very well in that one !

BTW- ur right I doubt if I lose debates, I don't take indefensible positions. I don't debate to win or lose, I do it to enhance perspective and think out of the proverbial box. The best the opposition can hope to get from me is a draw.

Archived