Piss testing at Nana last night

Stickman

There is an article at manager.co.th (Thai language website) this morning concerning drug tests in soi Nana last night. It mentions Nana Plaza and Nana Disco. It mentions that some of the people were throwing drugs on the ground, out of view of the cops who did not know who had thrown them away. It specifically mentions that piss tests were sought from both Western men and Thai women.

Stick

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piss tests at nana disco and the plaza? I always wanted to give phnom phen a try and think i will next trip. Give taksin a few months to finish cleaning up all those drugged out trouble making tourists that infest soi nana.

You have to admire the the Taksin crowd for their willingness to take on the big crime syndicates on soi nana, especially with all those murders and kidnappings going on at the plaza and outside the nana hotel. Only a brave and principled set of leaders would be willing to take resources away from other problems faced by thailand.

There was a large "raid" of NEP last night. I put quotes marks around the word "raid" because all of the BGs knew about it beforehand.

I was in Rainbow 4 around 8:30 p.m., and a BG I know told me there would be a large raid later that night. When I asked if she was certain, she suggested that I take a look at the stage. All of the girls were wearing more than they normally wear. Short cut-off jeans instead of bikinis - it was kind of sexy for a change.

The BGs knew about this "raid" far enough in advance to dress appropriately. Reasonably enough, the BG I was talking to wanted to avoid the inconvenience and hassle, and persuaded me to bar fine her. As I was leaving the plaza from a ST hotel, I noticed groups of MiB congregating in various parts of NEP. The BG decided that once in her bar was enough tonight and was either heading home or off to some other venue.

It was all enough to put me off returing to NEP last night for round two. I went to Soi Cowboy instead where everything was normal. I am not going to name or even hint at bars, but it was the same last night at Soi Cowboy as it has been for the last several months. A BG from NEP joined me there, and while we were having a drink in Soi Cowboy she got a call from an excited friend in NEP. Apparantly the TV news was there as well filiming the "raid". I am glad I left when I did. (I can imagine the comments on Monday morning at work if my face someone got in one of the TV shots of the "raid".)

This is promotion month for the MiB, and this sounds like a major publicity stunt orchestrated to earn someone major brownie points (and perhaps a bit of cash) while not doing any serious damage to the NEP. Any BG who does drugs regularly had plenty of warning to avoid NEP last night. It was all a charade.

Oh, that's what the lights and commotion were last night.

I was in Hog's Breath last night (2F, NEP), and yes the women knew something was going to happen and were anxious to be bar fined, but the whole staff was in an unusually festive mood.

At about 3 minutes past midnight, the curtains to the walk outside opened and a bright light shown into the bar. I was at the far end of the bar, and the woman standing next to me said "Police" and squatted down on the floor behind the bar. That's when I realized that the light was mounted on a television camera. Everyone in the bar was pretty much distracted from whatever they were doing while this was going on. I immediately paid my check and upon receiving my change, walked backward toward the door with my back toward the camera. I figured my mother in law seeing a picture of me in a girly bar, on the afternoon news would wipe some of the Brownie points I'd built up over the years.

The police and camera crew intruded for about a minute to an minute and a half and I consider it very rude and unfriendly behavior.

If "I" wanted to make the farang nightlife fade without too much of a splash, I'd do pretty much that, and then fine the girls hanging around Suk, caught not walking. Do that for 3 or 4 months, it will start having effects, few farangs will go for the speakeasy type, and a lousy atmosphere of law enforcement will empty the gogos, as the vibes will not be excactly good.

Not saying this is what is happening, though. I am always surprised that the info gleaned about the nightlife and authorities stance is always hazy, grapevine or barstool type. On the other hand, they might be as hazy about clamping down what? where? why? how?....... ::

Stickman said:

There is an article at manager.co.th (Thai language website) this morning concerning drug tests in soi Nana last night. It mentions Nana Plaza and Nana Disco. It mentions that some of the people were throwing drugs on the ground, out of view of the cops who did not know who had thrown them away. It specifically mentions that piss tests were sought from both Western men and Thai women.

Stick

It will be interesting to see if the Police will do piss tests in Nana Plaza while the high season...

Archived