buying or building a TV/stereo Jammer

jack_schist

Sorry it has taken me a couple days to respond to your post, haven?t had much time for posting lately. Like the part about your Rhodesian Ridgeback - finest guard dog a man can own. I used to have a 100 pound male about twenty-five years ago; being hounds they are really quite gentle by nature unless aroused. As I?m sure you know they were once used to hunt Lions in Africa and are still used to this day to guard diamond mines there. A MUCH finer animal than a mean old Rottweiler or Doberman IMO, but I digress from the main subject.

The link you posted showing the neon sign transformers look nothing like the one I used and are of much lower voltage and power. I did a few searches and apparently in the US the highest voltage units available these days are a measly 15 KV. You have to keep in mind that it has been over 40 years since I was experimenting with what I described and I can only conclude more powerful neon sign transformers were available at that time.

Anyway, as I said the units advertised in your link do not resemble the unit I used which was approximately the size of a large brick standing on edge with electrodes protruding from plum sized brown glass insulators covered with rubber boots on each end. This unit would put out 40 ? 50 KV which is much more than the ones in your link. I know for a fact it would produce this kind of voltage because I also constructed a Jacobs?s ladder using it and it would produce a rising spark gap that would reach six or seven inches wide before it died and started over - and 15 KV just can?t muster a spark like this.

I?m not saying these lower voltage and current transformers won?t do the job, but no way will you get the kind of jamming power I described in my post using these small units. So having no experience with these I can?t say how much interference would be generated other than it will be greatly reduced.

Perhaps this was not such a good idea to begin with since you have a dog and maybe a kid around and I must stress these devices can be deadly. And anyway, they generate lots of ozone which is very unhealthy.

Good luck, maybe just pay the guy another visit with your hound dog snarling at him and tell him if you have to come back he?s going to be your dogs lunch. :)

ST

pasathai said:

See if the main power breaker to his room is accessable from the outside, let him figure out what happend a few times ( especially if he is gone all day and the stuff in his fridge spoils)

A couple of months ago i checked out where his mains powerbox is (its one of the old syle with the ceramic fuse holders with the bits of wire which are almost impossible to find replacements for). My plan was to pull his fuse and then tie it to the dogs collar. The only thing that has stopped me from doing this is that my fuse box is very accessable also.

Also i forgot to mention that i am only about 10km from a very major airforce base with lots of radar gear but i doubt any interference would carry that far. Very true regarding the dangers involved in an open circuit like that expecially with me being in an old timber house. My friend is good mates with a TV repair dude so i will see what ideas he can come up with also before i get to carried away.

couple of months ago i checked out where his mains powerbox is (its one of the old syle with the ceramic fuse holders with the bits of wire which are almost impossible to find replacements for).

even better, pop all his fuzed and screw them back in ( short them over a car battery terminals, safe and easy) if he is such a dummy he will have a problem finding replacments, and probably only buy the number he needs ( no spares)

*( maybe find the ones he tosses out and use them over and over)

later mention you had the same provlem when you turned your tv up too loud :)

• 3 weeks later...

well it all came to a head like a big pimple that needed squeezing last week. After a particulary hot day at work i decided to quench my thirst with a few beers as one does. Dickhead is going hard at it as usual and has his TV well cranked so i just wander over and turn off his power at the fuse box and wander back home. next day i get home after an even hotter day in the mid 30s and with a raging hangover and fuckwit has his stereo cranked up full bore with some john cougar mellenhead crap. Fully mindful that my tax dollars are paying for a wanker like this to live his live in relative bliss i head over to his condo. i started off very politely pointing out the fact that he was being a pain, all was going well untill he decided to call my bluff and started yelling at me. I can't remember what said i do remember reminding him that it only took 2 signatures to put him back in the "facility" and he was only one signature away from the padded room. There was a bit or argy bargy but at the halfway point i realised that i just had to "out looney" him with some sort of wild hand waving and yelling in alternating high and low pitched yelling which seemed to have worked. End result is that i have had a week of sustained peace and quiet thus far. so far so good.

Yes, the direct approach is usually the best one. Just curious why you decided not to take your ridgeback along to respond to the asshole when he became loud and threatening? Hope he has changed his ways, but in my experience most people almost always revert to their old habits. So, good luck here.

BTW, I was in an electronics surplus store last week and spotted an adjustable high voltage power supply which had meters that read 0-50 KV and 0-300 milliamps (not a neon sigh transformer). It probably weighted 50 pounds and the thing would make one hell of a broadband jammer if used as I described earlier in this thread. They wanted $150 for it and the place has always been way over-priced, so the equipment needed to build a contraception like I described remains available if you look for it.

However, a disclaimer is in order here ? as it is not only illegal to jam the public airwaves, but more importantly (for you would be experimenters) is that 50KV at two or three hundred milliamps would result in almost certain and instant death should anyone or anything touch the wrong wire. Enough said. :yikes:

ST

Archived